As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:45:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312110 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: July 02, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »

You know breakfast and lunch are pretty easy to have without cooking at all.  You can have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, or a bagel, or banana, or some other sliced fruit without much of any preparation. Oatmeal is also really easy; you just pour it into a bowl, add water, and stick it in the microwave.

I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch almost every day, which also takes almost no preparation time and while it isn't an amazingly healthy choice is better than almost every other lunch mentioned here. You could put something else in the sandwich, maybe canned tuna or something, or make a salad. Those tend to work pretty well for people who pack lunches.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1601 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »

Bushie, avoid IHOP, McDonalds, B-K, other fast food......admit it you still eat it.  And tell you PARENTS not to cook bad sh**t for you when you eat there......I'm sure your mom would accomodate you.

And Torie, that's all cool and southern Californian, but Bushie can't afford pills, a gym, trainer or  some health food store or anything....if he just eats better and truly does some excercise let's leave it at that for now.

Bushie could  afford a gym and a protein drink. I understand about the trainer expense, which is why I suggested trying to find a fellow fat with whom to set up dates. Keeping appointments is a way to make sure you actually do drag your butt to the gym, even if you would rather do something else.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1602 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

I dunno torie. Protein costs like $50 for about a months worth of shakes. I would worry about Bushie first getting his diet in check before I worry about him taking supplements. I don't think the guy eats vegetables at all, at least vegetables that haven't been fried/processed/contain bread/cheese.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1603 on: July 02, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

I dunno torie. Protein costs like $50 for about a months worth of shakes. I would worry about Bushie first getting his diet in check before I worry about him taking supplements. I don't think the guy eats vegetables at all, at least vegetables that haven't been fried/processed/contain bread/cheese.

$50/30 equals $1.66 per breakfast. Add to that the cost of a cup of orange juice as mix. In my experience, that is the singe most effective way to lose weight putting aside being physically active, and in particular jogging.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1604 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »

My point was, and you guys mentioned this before, that my previous physician didn't seem too concerned about my weight and didn't make it a priority of his.  This doctor is.  He congratulated me for dropping nearly 30 pounds since November, but said it's time to keep going down.  My BMI is 41.  A BMI of 30 is considered Obese, and I'm almost 50% greater than that number.

This doctor is new... of course he's concerned.  Are you telling me that your old doctor never told you to lose weight?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1605 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

$50/30 equals $1.66 per breakfast. Add to that the cost of a cup of orange juice as mix. In my experience, that is the singe most effective way to lose weight putting aside being physically active, and in particular jogging.

Yeah... but Bushie still took a pretty big pay cut going to Xerox now. I'm sure $50-$80 bucks is gonna be pretty hard to spend on stuff like this. Is it needed, of course. But when you have other bills that come first, this is totally back burner stuff.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1606 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »

But does he have that kind of disposable income? He will have to factor in the cost of buying fresh food instead of the cheaper frozen/fast food he is accustomed to, which will also add up. I am trying to go one step at a time with him, knowing in my heart he will do none of what we suggest because it's too hard to do, and what he is eating now tastes better to him.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1607 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

My point was, and you guys mentioned this before, that my previous physician didn't seem too concerned about my weight and didn't make it a priority of his.  This doctor is.  He congratulated me for dropping nearly 30 pounds since November, but said it's time to keep going down.  My BMI is 41.  A BMI of 30 is considered Obese, and I'm almost 50% greater than that number.

This doctor is new... of course he's concerned.  Are you telling me that your old doctor never told you to lose weight?

Right. My grandmother was like that, and she started claiming later in life that her doctor never told her to exercise so it was okay that she rarely did. She was never obese though, and lived into her 80s, so she wasn't unhealthy by any means, but doctors stop harping on things after a certain point.

We have been encouraging Bushie to lose weight now for a long time and he continues to make up excuses to justify not doing so (it's a cheat weekend, it's a holiday, i didn't have anything in the house, that's all my parents made, I can't cook, etc). I'm sure he did the same thing to his last doctor so he just stopped hounding him knowing he simply wouldn't do it.

The point is, none of us want him to be in bad shape, and right now he has a lot of health problems for someone who just turned 30.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1608 on: July 02, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »

But does he have that kind of disposable income? He will have to factor in the cost of buying fresh food instead of the cheaper frozen/fast food he is accustomed to, which will also add up. I am trying to go one step at a time with him, knowing in my heart he will do none of what we suggest because it's too hard to do, and what he is eating now tastes better to him.

$2.00 for breakfast, and $20 a month for a cheap gym?  I am not talking about Equinox here. Smiley

You can see the array of treadmills I use, the rowing machines, and the assisted chin up and dips device. Hey, I can finally do a chin up without assistance, a new first for the Torie man. Smiley  Service personnel in blue shirts wander around handing your fresh towels, and offering to spot you to do bench presses or whatever. The trainers have black shirts. That rack machine near the window under the light is a favorite venue for my trainers to torture me. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1609 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

I think Bush must have a glandular condition.  I eat whatever I like and never exercise and my 'BMI' is about 26.

Bush you should try moving to Thailand.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1610 on: July 02, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »

Stop posting spoilers, opebo!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1611 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »

$2.00 for breakfast, and $20 a month for a cheap gym?  I am not talking about Equinox here. Smiley

You can see the array of treadmills I use, the rowing machines, and the assisted chin up and dips device. Hey, I can finally do a chin up without assistance, a new first for the Torie man. Smiley  Service personnel in blue shirts wander around handing your fresh towels, and offering to spot you to do bench presses or whatever. The trainers have black shirts. That rack machine near the window under the light is a favorite venue for my trainers to torture me. Tongue

That's a deal. My gym runs $45 a month at the medical university, and that is with the student discount for law students! I shouldn't scold Bushie too much though given I've slacked off when it comes to working out this summer. My workout partner is working in NY till next month and it's tough to motivate myself to go at it alone. That's why Bushie needs a friend to take him along and not allow him to make excuses for himself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1612 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:38 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 01:21:18 AM by Democrat Mitt Romney »

My point was, and you guys mentioned this before, that my previous physician didn't seem too concerned about my weight and didn't make it a priority of his.  This doctor is.  He congratulated me for dropping nearly 30 pounds since November, but said it's time to keep going down.  My BMI is 41.  A BMI of 30 is considered Obese, and I'm almost 50% greater than that number.

This doctor is new... of course he's concerned.  Are you telling me that your old doctor never told you to lose weight?

Right. My grandmother was like that, and she started claiming later in life that her doctor never told her to exercise so it was okay that she rarely did. She was never obese though, and lived into her 80s, so she wasn't unhealthy by any means, but doctors stop harping on things after a certain point.

We have been encouraging Bushie to lose weight now for a long time and he continues to make up excuses to justify not doing so (it's a cheat weekend, it's a holiday, i didn't have anything in the house, that's all my parents made, I can't cook, etc). I'm sure he did the same thing to his last doctor so he just stopped hounding him knowing he simply wouldn't do it.

The point is, none of us want him to be in bad shape, and right now he has a lot of health problems for someone who just turned 30.

My previous doctor was concerned, but never made it a big issue.  He took the attitude of "you keep hitting yourself? more power to you"  which, I understand where he came from, but as a doctor you should have the attitude "you keep hitting yourself? stop it, and here's how we're going to stop it."  I had the previous doctor for 16 years since 1996, and I've followed him around the Oklahoma City Metro, and I thought about finding a new one, but I enjoyed his demeanor.  I'll be honest, the only thing that got me to leave him now was the dangling carrot of free health care.

As far as my health is concerned, sure it could be better, but I have had the diabetes AC1 test twice and both times they have come back negative and both of them at 30 lbs heavier than where i'm at now.  My blood pressure has been near normal or just a hair above normal for the past 18 months thanks to the medicine and losing 30 pounds.  Since that Stage 2 Hypertension scare in January 2011, my blood pressure has come back down to consistently well below Stage 1 criteria.  There have been a couple times when it has gone lower than normal getting somewhat close to Stage 1 on the Low Blood Pressure side.  My new doctor is just going to perform this blood work in 6 months because I am a new patient and he wants to know where to start from.  He is a little more concerned about the diabetes potential simply because I have had 2 family members with diabetes and as a pretty high Native American ratio, I have a higher chance of diabetes.  I am 1/32, which may not sound like a lot, but he said a lot of the patients he sees are 1/128, 1/256 or even lower.  There are some that are more than 1/32, like 1/16, 1/8, but most of them are 1/64 or lower.  I'm only 5 generations removed from full blood Potawatomi and Native Americans, of any tribe, have a higher risk of Type II Diabetes
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1613 on: July 03, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »

My guess is that when you had your doctor of 16 years, for the first 2-3 years, he told you to diet.  After you didn't for the first 2-3 years, he stopped  telling you, because you didn't listen.

And I'll predict the same thing with this new doctor.  He'll tell you to diet, and you won't listen.

Honestly, Jeff, if it takes a DOCTOR to tell you to diet, when you're morbidly obese, there's something wrong with you.  You yourself have told us you're 50% past the obese BMI... why does it take a doctor to convince you to eat healthier?  You should know that on your own.  It's simple math.  But you haven't listened before, and you probably won't now.  So in 2 years, if you're still obese, the Indian doctor probably won't be reminding you to diet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1614 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:33 AM »

he said a lot of the patients he sees are 1/128, 1/256 or even lower.  There are some that are more than 1/32, like 1/16, 1/8, but most of them are 1/64 or lower.

wtf
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1615 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:49 AM »

My great-great-great-grandfather was from England.  Therefore, I demand free healthcare through the National Health Service.  I don't care if they're short on resources and still need to serve the people who actually pay into it; it's my God-given birthright.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1616 on: July 03, 2012, 02:50:51 AM »

My guess is that when you had your doctor of 16 years, for the first 2-3 years, he told you to diet.  After you didn't for the first 2-3 years, he stopped  telling you, because you didn't listen.

And I'll predict the same thing with this new doctor.  He'll tell you to diet, and you won't listen.

Honestly, Jeff, if it takes a DOCTOR to tell you to diet, when you're morbidly obese, there's something wrong with you.  You yourself have told us you're 50% past the obese BMI... why does it take a doctor to convince you to eat healthier?  You should know that on your own.  It's simple math.  But you haven't listened before, and you probably won't now.  So in 2 years, if you're still obese, the Indian doctor probably won't be reminding you to diet.

I wasnt obese or even overweight in high school. I was just heavy.  He didnt see me much in college, because I was three hours away and was just starting to gain weight.

The thing Im lacking right now is motivation, which is a very good point that Duke brought up. I do havea support group, but I dont have the resources to go to a gym.  The biggest motivation I have, and I'm appalled I havent taken advantage of this reason, is my two children in Africa.

However, I have a new resolve now that its July. Im going to set my alarm earlier today and go for a 20 minute walk before it gets too hot. Wednesday, I am going to swim for three hours from 11-2. Thursday, I will walk more and again Friday. Ill mow Saturday for an hour.  Ive got a plan. Also, I am going to the grocery store on Wednesday to get some healthier food such as produce, fruits, veggies, and low fat milk, whole grain cereal, etc. I weigh 258 right now. I want to be sniffing 250 by 1 August and then 240 by 1 September.  Ultimately, I want to be down to 215 by Thanksgiving.

I am using you guys as my "support group". So, I am posting my plans so you can keep me accountable.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1617 on: July 03, 2012, 06:17:05 AM »

I am using you guys as my "support group". So, I am posting my plans so you can keep me accountable.

Ha! You know we're good at accountability!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1618 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »

Service personnel in blue shirts wander around handing your fresh towels, and offering to spot you to do bench presses or whatever.

Uhhh....can I come to your gym?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1619 on: July 03, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »

You mean you think he will end up in Thailand? 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1620 on: July 03, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »

You mean you think he will end up in Thailand? 

Or at least claiming he will be moving there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1621 on: July 03, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »

Service personnel in blue shirts wander around handing your fresh towels, and offering to spot you to do bench presses or whatever.

Uhhh....can I come to your gym?

Sure.  I will arrange for you to get a week's guest pass. And the weather is Socal lately has been simply marvelous near the beach. Come on down!  Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1622 on: July 03, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 11:55:09 AM by Oakvale »

My guess is that when you had your doctor of 16 years, for the first 2-3 years, he told you to diet.  After you didn't for the first 2-3 years, he stopped  telling you, because you didn't listen.

And I'll predict the same thing with this new doctor.  He'll tell you to diet, and you won't listen.

Honestly, Jeff, if it takes a DOCTOR to tell you to diet, when you're morbidly obese, there's something wrong with you.  You yourself have told us you're 50% past the obese BMI... why does it take a doctor to convince you to eat healthier?  You should know that on your own.  It's simple math.  But you haven't listened before, and you probably won't now.  So in 2 years, if you're still obese, the Indian doctor probably won't be reminding you to diet.

I wasnt obese or even overweight in high school. I was just heavy.  He didnt see me much in college, because I was three hours away and was just starting to gain weight.

The thing Im lacking right now is motivation, which is a very good point that Duke brought up. I do havea support group, but I dont have the resources to go to a gym.  The biggest motivation I have, and I'm appalled I havent taken advantage of this reason, is my two children in Africa.

However, I have a new resolve now that its July. Im going to set my alarm earlier today and go for a 20 minute walk before it gets too hot. Wednesday, I am going to swim for three hours from 11-2. Thursday, I will walk more and again Friday. Ill mow Saturday for an hour.  Ive got a plan. Also, I am going to the grocery store on Wednesday to get some healthier food such as produce, fruits, veggies, and low fat milk, whole grain cereal, etc. I weigh 258 right now. I want to be sniffing 250 by 1 August and then 240 by 1 September.  Ultimately, I want to be down to 215 by Thanksgiving.

I recently lost the roughly eight pounds I gained after quitting smoking, so here's some tips.

I know there's kind of a difference in scale, but the same principles apply. Tongue (I also went from ~170 to ~150 - I'm 5'8" (AND A HALF!) and 146 lbs as of this morning - a few years ago and have hovered around there since. Again, not as big a loss as you'd be looking for but it feels a lot better not lugging around twenty pounds of fat with me, and I was - and am - a lot happier, too.)

The good news is if you're 260 pounds you're probably eating a ridiculous amount of crap just to maintain that weight, so just by eating somewhat sanely you're going to drop the pounds fairly quickly.

BTW, diet is pretty much everything when it comes to weight loss, exercise is important to stay healthy and fit, sure, but if you'd be better off focusing on improving what you put in your face. The worry here is that you could get burned out on exercising constantly, miss a few days, and then give up. This is pretty common AFAIK.

Eat vegetables and lean meats. Don't eat white bread or a bucket of fried chicken or whatever. Some people say fruit is bad 'cause it's basically sugar, but it's probably better than a donut. I don't know if  you drink, but if you do go for spirits instead of beer, since as we all know beer is liquid bread.

If you're seriously obese it might be worth giving low-carb or something a try. I don't have any experience with those diets, but some people swear by them.

By the way, the most important thing to do is to drink water. Drink stupid amounts of water.

You're still young, so time's on your side, but this is something you need to address, Bushie. If someone's overweight but in good health and happy, I don't think that they should feel a need to change just because society says so, but when your weight starts affecting either your health or happiness you have to change. Even if you don't have any major problems now, you will down the road. At the risk of being cheesy, this is an investment in your future.

If I can help you out feel free to ask or PM me. Again, I don't have some kind of ridiculous transformation story or anything, but I dropped twenty pounds and went from vaguely fat and crappy looking to slim and, well, uh, still crappy looking but that's cause I post on the Atlas and never get sunlight. WinkTongue

EDIT: If all else fails, just stick to this mantra -

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1623 on: July 04, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »

You don't need a gym to lose weight.  Diet is the main thing.  Just start eating less and eating healthier.  Eat food with less calories - it still fills you up, but you burn off weight.  Go jogging and/or walking - it's good exercise and you don't need a gym membership.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1624 on: July 04, 2012, 12:41:05 AM »

And the most important advice of all: drink whiskey over beer. It'll go far in helping you burn off those excess calories!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies