As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312115 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

I am in the 5th day of this Thanksgiving 2012 Diet.  I started at a weight of 263.8.  As of this morning, I am down to 257.  Nearly 7 pounds in just 4 days.  I've just been eating less.  Plain and simple.  I haven't developed or used a x-step program.  I've just been eating less.  That 257, puts me at a grand total of 28 pounds lost since I started my first diet on 14 November, 2011.

Just realize that this is likely around 90% water weight and you could be back up 5 lbs after a few glasses of water or a salty meal. This is why you shouldn't obsess on the scale.  Don't weigh yourself that often.  A real good judge of your progress is how your clothes fit.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1776 on: July 24, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »

I am in the 5th day of this Thanksgiving 2012 Diet.  I started at a weight of 263.8.  As of this morning, I am down to 257.  Nearly 7 pounds in just 4 days.  I've just been eating less.  Plain and simple.  I haven't developed or used a x-step program.  I've just been eating less.  That 257, puts me at a grand total of 28 pounds lost since I started my first diet on 14 November, 2011.

Just realize that this is likely around 90% water weight and you could be back up 5 lbs after a few glasses of water or a salty meal. This is why you shouldn't obsess on the scale.  Don't weigh yourself that often.  A real good judge of your progress is how your clothes fit.

Good point, as important as losing weight is losing body fat is even more important.  You should be able to find a scale that measures body fat % for $30.

Also weight fluctuates during the day a it, so getting excited over a few pounds either way might not actually mean anything.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1777 on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

Fixing your diet is the first step. To really see those pounds drop, it is imperative that you exercise. Walking for an hour a day will be a boon. Once you drop enough pounds, you could take up running to accelerate the process.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1778 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »

Thanks, guys!  My smaller jeans (size 38) are already fitting better.  In addition, my bigger jeans (size 40) are starting to get too big.  A few more pounds and the right/wrong circumstances, I could give my coworkers an eye full!  I'm about 20 lbs from needing to start buying size 36 jeans.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1779 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »

Thanks, guys!  My smaller jeans (size 38) are already fitting better.  In addition, my bigger jeans (size 40) are starting to get too big.  A few more pounds and the right/wrong circumstances, I could give my coworkers an eye full!  I'm about 20 lbs from needing to start buying size 36 jeans.
Great job!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1780 on: July 26, 2012, 12:22:37 AM »

Good Thursday Morning, folks!  As of yesterday morning, I have lost 7 1/2 pounds.  I'm down to 256.4.  I'm continuing to lose weight and I am going to keep this up all the way until at least Thanksgiving, most likely, longer.  In the near term, I'm hoping to be down to 250 by the middle of August.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1781 on: July 26, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »

So what exactly have you done to lose weight?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1782 on: July 26, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »

Just eating less, usually 1 1/2 meals a day.  I'll be honest, I've still had the hamburgers, but I've limited it to one per day.  I'm having a small snack when I get home from work.  Before, I would be eating probably 2 hamburgers a day and/or a large vanilla malt with one of the hamburgers.  I'm about to switch out of the hamburgers for the most part.  I wanted to do a step down into my diet instead of quitting every bad habit cold turkey.  I'll still have a hamburger once in a while, but not near as often as what I'm doing now.  I'll probably  be eating more Subway than McDonalds's if I go out.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1783 on: July 26, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »

Does anybody know if there has been any behaviorist work on what makes for an effective and sustainable weight loss routine. Truisms about diet and exercise don't seem to be getting the job done in the real world. Moving to a walkable neighborhood seems the most obvious, but moving is a difficult, often unrealistic, step. Surrounding one's self with others who exercise and live a healthy lifestyle seems somewhat more feasible, though still a challenge. Our behavior is heavily dependent on what we observe others doing, as we are all seeking out social cues. Any other specific suggestions? I don't have as much weight to lose as Bushie does, but I wouldn't mind dumping the spare tire either.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1784 on: July 26, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »

You are off to a very promising start. Congratulations!
Now you have to make sure that you don't get discouraged if you experience a couple of days where your weight doesn't move downwards. It is completely normal if you are trying to lose weight and is no reason to give up and to return to your old eating habits. Indeed, if you are able to overcome such critical moments you will be on track to lose quite a bit of weight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1785 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »

You are off to a very promising start. Congratulations!
Now you have to make sure that you don't get discouraged if you experience a couple of days where your weight doesn't move downwards. It is completely normal if you are trying to lose weight and is no reason to give up and to return to your old eating habits. Indeed, if you are able to overcome such critical moments you will be on track to lose quite a bit of weight.

Thanks, ZuWo!  I feel I am off to a good start.  I need to continue it, though.  I know I'll have days where I will hold steady or even gain a bit.  Those days don't bother me unless they become a trend, then I know it's time to either change what I'm doing or go back to what I was doing that saw the weight drop.  I know I'll probably gain weight in the morning, simply because I had a cheat day with my parents taking me out for Mexican.  That's okay, as I'll get back on it tomorrow and press on.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1786 on: July 28, 2012, 05:22:54 AM »

Does anybody know if there has been any behaviorist work on what makes for an effective and sustainable weight loss routine.

Behaviorist?!?  Dude, go back to the 30s Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1787 on: July 28, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »

Im on my way to losing the weight I gained on Thursday. I had gained 3 pounds on Thursday, but as of this morning, I've lost 1.5 lbs of the weight gained. I am sitting at 259.0 or 5 lbs since last Friday.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1788 on: July 28, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »

Does anybody know if there has been any behaviorist work on what makes for an effective and sustainable weight loss routine.

Behaviorist?!?  Dude, go back to the 30s Tongue
I'm no psychologist. Perhaps I used the wrong term. What I mean is what actually works to get people to change their poor habits. Just about everybody who tries to lose weight and keep it off fails. It would be nice to know how to change that beyond platitudes about eating better and being more active.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1789 on: July 29, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »

I've been off work the past two days because I've been in excruciating pain for the past 9 days.  I'm not going to say what I have, because that's not important.  It's been extremely painful to sit, stand, or lay.  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning at 8:00 and see what they can do about it.  The pain is just now starting to ease up as I believe what I had is starting to go away.  Generally, the only way to get rid of this particular ailment is surgery.  So, I might be going under the knife in the near future.  I'm pretty sure I can avoid it, but there is still a chance I may be given surgery to make sure there is nothing major going on.  Your prayers and thoughts would be highly coveted as I head to the doctor tomorrow morning.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1790 on: July 29, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

Behaviorist?!?  Dude, go back to the 30s Tongue
I'm no psychologist. Perhaps I used the wrong term. What I mean is what actually works to get people to change their poor habits. Just about everybody who tries to lose weight and keep it off fails. It would be nice to know how to change that beyond platitudes about eating better and being more active.

The reason that happens is because people think of it as a "diet" and when they "finish", they revert back to their old terrible habits. You're not going to find someone who made a permanent lifestyle change yet magically gained back whatever weight they lost.

Oakvale's Not Very Original Generic Diet Plan For Atlas Posters

1. Add a zero to your weight. If you're 190 pounds, for example, that's 1900.

2. Eat that many calories a day.

3. Religiously count your calories for at least a month, report back.

If you don't want to feel bad you should also consider the nutrient side -

Protein: IIRC the general advice is to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight - so in this example you'd be eating 190g of protein.

Fat: According to the internet, you should multiply your calorie goal as worked out above by 0.25, then you divide that number by 9. Eat that many grams of fat a day. Using our example, that works out to ~52 grams of fat a day.

Important - get your fats from good sources like cheese and eggs, don't pig out on a bucket of lard or something.

Carbohydrates: The general recommendation is to eat no less than 100 grams a day. Anything under can make you sluggish, although if you're going for a low-carb thing go ahead.

There's probably at least one bit of advice here that's very wrong, I'm just going from memory and some quick googling to refresh the gaps. But stick to this and you will lose weight. It's mathematics. Smiley

EDIT: Due to the curse of water retention, there'll be days and weeks where you plateau. That's normal, don't give up. It'll sort itself out. You're still losing fat, it's just being hidden. Also, drink water. Tons of water.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1791 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »

I'm home from the doctor's office.  It's looking like I'll need surgery.  He's given me some medicine to help out in the mean time, but it's looking very likely I will be going to the Indian Clinic in Ada, Oklahoma this Friday, 3 August 2012 to have the surgery done outpatiently.  At least this surgery will cost me nothing as far as money is concerned.  As far as it being pain free?  Forget about it.  There is an oldie's song entitled See You in September that may fit this criteria...  I could be doped up on pain meds for a while. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1792 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »

Well we hope you get better......does this now kill Xerox?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1793 on: July 30, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »

This doesn't kill Xerox as I talked to my supervisor this morning and updated her on the situation and she said I can combine a string of however many consecutive days I miss into just one occurrence (or point).  I have 4 points to play with, so this will just be 1 point even if heaven forbid I have to miss the first half of August.  She told me my job is guaranteed when I get back.

However, there is a dead rat starting to smell about Xerox, but has nothing to do with my illness, but that story is for a little later.

Stay tuned - there is about to be yet another twist on this Update thread - the writers are gathering their sources and information.  The twist could come later today or it could come in the next few days.

Geez, this Update thread has more twists than all the seasons of Big Brother has ever had... combined...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1794 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »

Yeah. Lay off the fried food and fast food (except maybe Subway), drink coffee in the morning and UNSWEETENED green tea in the afternoon, and have fruit or a salad with every meal. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1795 on: July 30, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »

Yeah. Lay off the fried food and fast food (except maybe Subway), drink coffee in the morning and UNSWEETENED green tea in the afternoon, and have fruit or a salad with every meal. 

I'll be doing most of this with the specialized diet I'm needing to go on for this condition.  I'll need a high fiber diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables and calorie free lemon lime soda (Sprite Zero)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1796 on: July 30, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

Try running a lot.  Like...5 miles a day.  Keeps the pounds off, I'll tell ya.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1797 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »

So like what you have shingles or the piles now...? You were presumably healthy enough to tell us about going out for Mexican food but miss work for extended periods.  You just make no sense whatsoever and this fits your pattern. Didnt you also have had a heart attack but were perfectly fine enough to post on this forum without a peep.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1798 on: July 30, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

No, Patrick, I'm going to be very blunt with this and hope I don’t get called down for being too personal.  I have an external hemorrhoid.  I have been in such severe pain for the past 11 days and it was a struggle making it through work last week.  I finally had to break down and call the doctor on Friday to get an appointment for this morning.  I was in so much pain just from sitting on my bottom that I couldn’t go to work Saturday or Sunday.  I went to the doctor this morning and he gave me some medicine to help get rid of it and told me to stay off it as much as I can the rest of this week.  He also said that this medicine may not work and that I will probably need to go to the Emergency Room at the Indian Hospital in Ada, Oklahoma to get this lanced and drained.  I initially thought he meant full hemorrhoid surgery which would have likely put me on the shelf until at least September, possibly October.  Then, I remembered what he did say (after I posted earlier today) which was lancing and draining which may shelve for no more than another week instead of a month or longer.  The surgery is still a possibility depending on several factors and the doctor did caution me that it may be needed down the road at some point because this draining is only temporary, not a permanent solution like the surgery is.  There is a good chance they will come back at some point, but I’m still not sure it’s worth being in excruciating pain for an entire month or longer and missing work for nearly a month.  It’s a decision I’ll have to weigh when and if the time comes.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1799 on: July 30, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

I know everybody is dying to hear what the breaking news and the new twist is all about.  Xerox is jacking with my pay.  When I accepted the job, it was on the notion that I would get $10.00 an hour the first 60 days and then $12.00 an hour after, not great but manageable.  They did not tell me that I have to work up to both amounts.  I’ve been looking at my pay stubs the past month and a half and I have been getting $9.25 an hour.  I’ve been told by numerous sources that the base pay will actually DROP to $8.75 an hour after the 60 days.  I can work up to $12.00 an hour or even up to $13.75, but it would never be consistent and I could make $9.50 one pay period, $12.45 the next, $11.25 the next one after that.  The customers would directly control my pay.  If a customer has a bad day when they fill out the survey, I could literally lose money.  Not only that, but I’ve been there 7 weeks and have only accrued 6.74 hours of leave.  I have to take this illness all unpaid.  If that weren’t enough, the supervisory positions they are offering are rigged.  They already have the selections made before they conduct the first interview.  So, based on that, I’m still at Xerox right now, but I am looking around and I am now looking outside the call center and outside Oklahoma.  This may have to put my Kenya plans on hold for a while, but I’ve got to do what’s best for me right now, not worry about what’s going to happen 2 ½ years from now.  One of the places I’m looking is Salt Lake City.  We have a couple former posters who live in Utah, namely TexasIndy and Jamespol and I am going to get them started looking with me for IT jobs in and around Salt Lake City.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies