As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 313295 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
« edited: November 19, 2011, 10:42:44 AM by memphis »

First off this thread is miles better than any Comedy Goldmine/Institute. Ever.
Bushie, I did 5 minutes of legwork for you, and googled Christian Kenya charity. I didn't have time to make sure this charity is 100% legit (and the internet is certainly full of scams), but if you sincerely want to make sure that $2,000 best helps the people of Kenya with Christian intent, here's one:
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/whatwedo/africa/kenya.aspx And you can't go wrong with the Red Cross either. If you want to go to Africa for some sort of personal growth experience for yourself (or just to see the world), that's great and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's no way going in person is the most effective way to spend your scarce (no offense, mine are scarce too) resources. In short, this trip is about you, not about Kenya. Consider that for a moment.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »

Oh. One last thing Bushie. Anytime somebody tells you they have an "opportunity" for you, they're ripping you off. It's a codeword for scam. Real opportunities and good deals don't advertise. You have to seek them out.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 12:55:20 PM by memphis »

Apparantly, not only was Bushie born yesterday, he was born again yesterday as well.
Look, I think it's amazing that you sincerely want to help people. Seriously. Most people wouldn't go through all the trouble for strangers. That's powerful stuff! You have great intentions. That said, if it is really about helping Kenyans, you should ask yourself what is the most effective way to help them. Is it better to pay to send yourself over there or could that money be better spent on a charity, which is an expert at doing the most good with the least amount of money Because you are going through a lot of trouble just to fundraise just to be nice. And whatever you choose with this situation, of course, that's better than being a vacuum scam artist.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 01:42:25 PM by memphis »

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the world. I do too, and I'm not a good enough person to do charity work on my travels. However, you REALLY need to do some homework before even signing up to go to Africa. A good place to begin is wikitravel.org They aren't nearly as professional as wikipedia, but they are geared toward travellers and have some good info. At the very least please, please, please read their article on kenya before comitting to going. Please don't be offended, but you tend to make decisions before weighing all the facts. Know what you're getting into before you sign up. And find out from the mission people where you'll be staying, if there will be a toilet, what will you eat, etc. And make sure your employer is cool with it too. We don't need another job search thread. And one last thing, try not to use the phrase "third-world." It's old fashioned and rubs people the wrong way. By very low African standards, Kenya isn't even that poor a country.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »

Bushie, you're NOT the chicken guy. You're the impulsive jump the gun guy. That's the complete opposite.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

Can someone shutdown National Lampoon's Kenyan Vacation before it turns into another update?

If it turns into update, I don't care.

Favorite. Mod. Ever.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

Wondering how the 1:15 meeting is going. Oh to be a fly on that wall. It'd be better than the supercommittee meting.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

But if it's about seeing the world, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to organize this trip outside of a church mission with perhaps a different destination (somewhere in Europe for more time and less money)? Or is Africa somewhere you absolutely want to go?

I can think of much more interesting things to do with $2,000 Smiley

If you're going to go somewhere different, then actually go somewhere different. Europe doesn't count.
This was my reaction to London when I was there. Hate to be the spoiled white kid complaining about a vacation abroad, but I went a long way to visit a place that wasn't all that different than Canada. Next time I have the money for an international vacation (ha ha), I want to go to Turkey. I'm thinking it's just exotic enough without being scary.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

This sounds almost like when NY Jews go to Miami to convert people. Except nicer, and less expensive.
Talking about the chabads who try to get secular Jews to practice? Cause Jews don't usually do the evangelize thing. Once when I was in college, I was minding my own business, reading on a bench on lovely Fall day, and one of those guys asked me if I wanted to do this little ritual. I guess it was a good enough bet that I was Jewish between at Tulane, dark hair, big nose. I would loved to have seen what went down when the kids he approached weren't Jewish.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »

This was my reaction to London when I was there. Hate to be the spoiled white kid complaining about a vacation abroad, but I went a long way to visit a place that wasn't all that different than Canada. Next time I have the money for an international vacation (ha ha), I want to go to Turkey. I'm thinking it's just exotic enough without being scary.

How about Glasgow?

Haven't been. You recommend? I really liked London. And I took a day trip out to Stonehenge, Bath, and Salisbury, which was nice as well. Also, flew to Berlin while I was in the neighborhood for a few days.  It was my first(and only) time away from North America. All in all, a good time. I just think I'm ready for something a little more advanced, travel wise. Kenya would be a little much for me though. I'm sure it's a lovely country, but not high enough on the Human Development Index for my comfort zone. I'm not super fussy, but I want a certain level of infrastructure when I travel, which is almost always someplace in the States anyhow.  But I have my travel fantasies, as I suspect many others do as well.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »

Then, in early January, I'm going to start gathering things together that I might need to take and purchase what I need to purchase.

Will this interfere with Easter decorating?

The better question is whether this will interfere with his taking down his Christmas displays.

No, since I put the decorations up so early, even I get tired of them by December 26, so they are usually down and put away and my house back to normal before New Years, usually around December 27-29 time frame.  This year, I will probably take it down on December 28.
I'm sure we've had this conversation before, but no love for the Epiphany? You can have an extra two weeks of Christmas. Yes, you can!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »

Here is a weight loss update:

As of this morning, I have now lost 14 1/2 pounds.  I also have not had a regular coke in 8 days since Sunday, December 4, 2011.  I have no desire for them, anymore.  My mother advises me since I've gone this long, to just stay away from them altogether.  Instead, I've been drinking Coke Zero and occasionally Diet Dr. Pepper in establishments that don't have Coke Zero.  I do not see myself ever going to a water-only diet.  That's just too boring.  Coke Zero is fine since it has no calories and no sugar and it tastes great.
Keep it up! Clothes fitting differently yet? That's the best feeling in the world! Any progress on the energy out side of the equation? It doesn't have to be a marathon at first (and, frankly, shouldn't be anything too strenuous to start), but you need to work at both sides not just to lose weight but to be healthier.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »

14 weeks from right now, I will probably be on the plane doing some pond hopping headed to some airport in Europe, most likely Amsterdam, Brussels, Zurich, Istanbul, or possibly London-Heathrow.  I will likely leave the Oklahoma City airport around 11:00 or 11:30 Friday morning, March 16.  I'll likely fly into either Washington-Reagan or Dulles, Chicago, Dallas, or Newark for my American layover. The European layover will be in the cities I mentioned above.  I should return to the Oklahoma City airport around 8:30 or so Sunday night, March 25.
So you're going to be in Kenya for a little more than a week?

Yes, 9 days total including 2 full weekends.

Here is a weight loss update:

As of this morning, I have now lost 14 1/2 pounds.  I also have not had a regular coke in 8 days since Sunday, December 4, 2011.  I have no desire for them, anymore.  My mother advises me since I've gone this long, to just stay away from them altogether.  Instead, I've been drinking Coke Zero and occasionally Diet Dr. Pepper in establishments that don't have Coke Zero.  I do not see myself ever going to a water-only diet.  That's just too boring.  Coke Zero is fine since it has no calories and no sugar and it tastes great.
Keep it up! Clothes fitting differently yet? That's the best feeling in the world! Any progress on the energy out side of the equation? It doesn't have to be a marathon at first (and, frankly, shouldn't be anything too strenuous to start), but you need to work at both sides not just to lose weight but to be healthier.

Thank you, memphis!  I'm almost ready to go down a size in my jeans from my current 40 to 38!!

Excellent! I've done some weight yo-yoing in the past. You're going to have to try everything on before you buy it because everybody sizes things differently. Target jeans, for whatever reason, are extremely generous in the waist, even the ones that are not relaxed fit. I could probably wear a 32 Target jeans if I wanted, which is hilarious because I'm more like a 36 in the real world.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »

Jeff, if you ever want to get serious about losing weight, rather than just verbalizing about it (how many times have you lost 15 pounds, and then put it right back on?), use this product every morning. I put a scoop in the blender with orange juice and fruit.  I lost 10 pounds a month like clockwork - 70 pounds total. I now weigh 160 pounds, and have a body fat percentage of around 12%.  It changed my life.
I know something better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall
Solves his weight and motivation problems with one pill. It ought to be in the water supply.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »

Huh Please tell me that Snowguy's gelatin and mayonnaise recipes aren't contagious.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »

Huh Please tell me that Snowguy's gelatin and mayonnaise recipes aren't contagious.

No, it has nothing in common except the gelatin.  She puts Lime Jello mixed with almonds mixed with just a little bit of grated cheddar cheese.  It is delicious!

Wow, that sounds repulsive. Although anything in Jello beside vodka makes me vaguely nauseous.  Is this a middle America thing?  I know Jello became popular by giving away free recipe books, but I thought that was like a 50's thing. Didnt really think anyone actually ate that stuff.
Little pieces of fruit would be ok, but cheese??? In JELLO? Yikes!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

4 hours in Amsterdam, hm? Well the Amsterdam airport is conveniently located above a train line IIRC, so there should be plenty of time to get into town and visit a coffee shop.
So sorry to Bushie:
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/05/amsterdam-ban-pot-sales-tourists/38248/
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »

She emailed me back yesterday afternoon saying that everything had been corrected.  I was able to view and print the itinerary and e-tickets last night.

In my weight loss expedition, I am back to 16 pounds lost, which is where I've been hovering the last few days.  I'm still doing everything I've been doing, it's just starting to go down slower now, which is alright, because every 5-10 days or so I see a new low, so it's not too bad.  Right now, I am at 269 lbs.  My goal is to be at least into the 250's by the time I go to Kenya.  I am feeling much better because of losing weight.  Whenever I do drink a regular Dr. Pepper or regular Coke, it tastes fattening to me and I'm starting to dislike the taste.  I enjoy my Coke Zero, and the past couple of days, I've been adding more water to the mix.   Yesterday, I had a full 8 glasses of water and a 44 oz of Diet Dr. Pepper at lunch plus a can of Coke Zero at dinner.  This morning, I've been at work a little over two hours and I've already had nearly 4 this morning, just trying to stay awake.  I'll probably have a Coke Zero at lunch and then again tonight at dinner, but I don't plan on having any regular soda and I'll finish the work day out with water except for lunch.

I've also found something very interesting.  I've had pizza at least once a week for probably the past month, and you would think with all the cheese and stuff on there that I would be gaining weight like mad, but I've found on every single occasion where I've had 5 or more slices of pizza, I have actually LOST weight the next morning.  This has happened on at least 5 or 6 occasions.  I know if I keep doing that I'll be pressing my luck, but it is encouraging.

You've had 5 or more slices of pizza on 5 or 6 occassions? Yikes! You're going to make a cardiologist very rich some day. Also, why would you need to print an e-ticket? Isn't the whole point that it's electronic?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »

She emailed me back yesterday afternoon saying that everything had been corrected.  I was able to view and print the itinerary and e-tickets last night.

In my weight loss expedition, I am back to 16 pounds lost, which is where I've been hovering the last few days.  I'm still doing everything I've been doing, it's just starting to go down slower now, which is alright, because every 5-10 days or so I see a new low, so it's not too bad.  Right now, I am at 269 lbs.  My goal is to be at least into the 250's by the time I go to Kenya.  I am feeling much better because of losing weight.  Whenever I do drink a regular Dr. Pepper or regular Coke, it tastes fattening to me and I'm starting to dislike the taste.  I enjoy my Coke Zero, and the past couple of days, I've been adding more water to the mix.   Yesterday, I had a full 8 glasses of water and a 44 oz of Diet Dr. Pepper at lunch plus a can of Coke Zero at dinner.  This morning, I've been at work a little over two hours and I've already had nearly 4 this morning, just trying to stay awake.  I'll probably have a Coke Zero at lunch and then again tonight at dinner, but I don't plan on having any regular soda and I'll finish the work day out with water except for lunch.

I've also found something very interesting.  I've had pizza at least once a week for probably the past month, and you would think with all the cheese and stuff on there that I would be gaining weight like mad, but I've found on every single occasion where I've had 5 or more slices of pizza, I have actually LOST weight the next morning.  This has happened on at least 5 or 6 occasions.  I know if I keep doing that I'll be pressing my luck, but it is encouraging.

You've had 5 or more slices of pizza on 5 or 6 occassions? Yikes! You're going to make a cardiologist very rich some day. Also, why would you need to print an e-ticket? Isn't the whole point that it's electronic?

I've been falling into the trap of convenience with the pizza.

I had to print the e-ticket just for my records, mainly.
For your records? Isn't it avaialble on your computer? Why do your records require a piece of paper.
As for the pizza.... I don't even know what to say other than you're not serious about weight loss if you eat that much pizza that frequently.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2012, 08:17:50 PM by memphis »

Why would you need to back it up? Are you afraid the airline's servers are going to crash and they are going to lose all record of you? You can check your itinerary at any time by simply logging in. What you want to print is your boarding pass, which you can only do in the final 24 hours. Get the OCD treated. You'll be a happier person. And in a world where I make the rules, you'd be given adderall for the obesity, but I can't make that happen.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »

When I left for 6-weeks in Europe... I packed on the morning I left..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure how one could pack weeks in advance. I don't own enough clothes to have stuff packed away and change clothes everyday before leaving. The bathroom items are even worse. Have to wait to the absolute last minute for those.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »

A quick update on Kenya.  As many of you may know, one of our tasks when we get to the East African country is to help build a medical clinic for the Maisha Orphanage.  They just broke ground on it within the past few days and it should be ready for us to help build the walls during the week that we'll actually be on the ground.
You're going to be building walls? You know how to do that?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

whoa, whoa, whoa... spoiler warning???
It's foreshadowing. Very common literary technique.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

Anybody else notice that the author always invokes God before a failure? Doesn't matter whether it's a job, a relationship, whatever. The moment you see the word God, you know something bad is going to happen. Clearly, the writer is making a subtle but strong statement about religion in 21st Century America.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

Something is fishy. Managers try to keep employees they value, not send them off to other departments.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies