Is Detroit fixable? How would you fix it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:38:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Detroit fixable? How would you fix it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Detroit fixable? How would you fix it?  (Read 18581 times)
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:59 AM »

Interesting discussion Here are my thoughts, opinions and comments. I personally have found the collapse of Detroit interesting. I don't think Detroit will make a huge turnaround anytime soon regardless of what we do the city is just to messed up. But it will be a slow comeback over 20-40 years. Also I don't think Detroit will ever approach the 1.85 million people it had it 1950. A population of 1 million would be a nice goal by 2050. Of course we don't even know if Detroit's population has bottomed out yet. Personally I think it has or is very close to bottoming out. Mostly of all a large majority of people left can't afford to leave. Also there are a handful of areas of Detroit that are not awful areas. Yeah they have more crime and other problems than average, but they are somewhat livable. The city needs to focus on these neighborhoods, such as Downtown, Midtown, Corktown, the villages, Palmer park, university park, Rosedale park, etc. Lots of these neighborhoods are somewhat ok and have decent to nice homes and aren't necessary burnt out and dilapidated, but the neighborhoods need some help. And should be the focus of a fixing Detroit.

I don't have any specific ideas for fixing Detroit, there is so much wrong. Obviously fixing crime and the school system are very important. Corruption and general incompetence are also a problem in Detroit.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

What's larger than Detroit is the issue of American ghettos. Every city has them. Detroit's boundaries just happen to be such that the anchor city is largely coextensive with the metro's ghetto.  The whole metro is still quite a viable area and much wealthier than many others. It should be clear by now that "the market" will not fix ghettos. By definition, some markets, locations, and people fail the market test.  And our weak patchwork of anti-poverty programs haven't solved underlying issues either. And I suppose if you wanted to go all totalitarian, you could force everybody out, bulldoze the whole slum, but you still have poor people who need cheap housing.  And wherever they go, by definition, becomes the new ghetto because nobody with the means is going to want to live there.  You can't have America witghout the ghetto. The low wage jobs and the people who have them are integral parts of the nation. And you can send everybody to Harvard if you want to. All that will do is give you Harvard educated slum dwellers. On the other hand you could take radical steps to address inequality, but the political will is not even close to exisiting. And so we all live with Detroit or South Memphis or West Virginia or wherever.

Yeah I know this was from 3 years ago but wow what a great post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies