NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:09:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!  (Read 5968 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

No... NO!!! It's all happening too soon. At this rate Newt will start falling just in time for Romney to take advantage of the situation. He was meant to start his rise in the polls in late December.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »

You'd think people had never heard of 'outliers'. Every other poll shows Romney comfortably leading with around 40% of the vote in NH, so, uh...
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »

I'll wait for a second poll to confirm before I start cutting my wrists.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

The winner of IA will consolidate the conservative vote in NH. And if Huntsman can grab enough of the moderate vote, with Paul grabbing his Libertarians, then Romney could face the perfect storm. Anything short of a big win for him will look like a loss, following the loss of IA. He needs 40%+ going into SC.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 06:27:26 AM »

This also makes it clear- whoever the initial frontrunner is will fall. Maybe Romney can pick back up, but Presidents Dean, Giuliani, and Hillary Clinton aren't bettin those odds.

Kerry was the "frontrunner by default" many months before Dean became frontrunner.  And McCain was the frontrunner before Giuliani was.

Yeah, I'd say the opposite actually. The last couple of cycles we've seen a lot of a frontrunner losing a lot towards the end of the year preceding the election year but then coming back in time for the actual primaries.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »

Kerry was never a 'frontrunner'... he may have been the odds-on favorite but there is a significant difference.  the Dem race was wide open in 04 as it often is
Nichlemn

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »

In light of this poll, Romney plummets on Intrade to only 69.5% to win the nomination.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »

I'll wait for the next NH poll before passing judgment. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »

Kerry was never a 'frontrunner'... he may have been the odds-on favorite but there is a significant difference.  the Dem race was wide open in 04 as it often is

That seems like a semantic quibble.  How is frontrunner different from odds on favorite?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

That seems like a semantic quibble.  How is frontrunner different from odds on favorite?

it's a matter of degrees.  frontrunner is a media designation.  frontrunners include Gore and Bush 2000, Gore 2004 until Dec. 2002, Clinton 2008, and so on.  meanwhile while Michael Dukakis may have been the odds on favorite in 1988 and Paul Tsongas in 1992 and so on they never quite got to that "who will emerge to challenge ____?" plateau.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »

I hope this is true.
Wonkish1

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »

This poll clearly is an outlier (Magellan is one of those famed internal polling companies that get employed by house candidates during midterms), but lets be honest Newt is rising in New Hampshire. I'm expecting the next *reputable* poll to be Romney up by about ~10.

As to some of the comments about how organization is less important today. Well kind of duh! Each cycle is going to be less about the machine politics of yesteryear and more about message, marketing, etc. because the internet, the 24 hour news networks, and the shear number of debates are changing the way campaigns are run. I believe the common reference to this type of occurrence is that campaigns are becoming increasingly "democratized"(as defined by not needing as much money and size). I don't think there are many people that would argue that is a bad thing.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 10:14:17 PM by "'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry »

it's a matter of degrees.  frontrunner is a media designation.  frontrunners include Gore and Bush 2000, Gore 2004 until Dec. 2002, Clinton 2008, and so on.  meanwhile while Michael Dukakis may have been the odds on favorite in 1988 and Paul Tsongas in 1992 and so on they never quite got to that "who will emerge to challenge ____?" plateau.

Tsongas was never the favorite in '92. Or the frontrunner. He was the kind of candidate, usually one-note or regional, that has success early on (ala Forbes/Buchanan '96, Huck '08) but is not given strong odds of finally prevailing. Even when he was winning primaries, pundits assumed the eventual nominee would be Clinton or, if Clinton self-destructed, some heavyweight non-candidate (Cuomo, Bentson etc). It's not unlike Cain leading polls for a few weeks but being completely written off by the press and the prediction markets. Essentially, a lot of the ferment that used to happen in the actual primary process, including flirtations with unlikely candidates, has been moved up to the pre-primaries. I'm sure this is the Internet's fault somehow.

Difference between a frontrunner and a favorite: I'd say a frontrunner has a lot of visible advantages (high name recognition, national polling lead, perception of strong fundraising ability) while a favorite's advantages are more subterranean and insider-y (intraparty support, better consultants, favorable primary calendar, actual strong fundraising ability etc). The latter's advantages have proven to be more important than the former's. Like Clinton in '08 was a frontrunner but Obama was at least a co-favorite; Dukakis '88 and Clinton '92 (post-Cuomo) were both favorites but not really the frontrunners until about the middle of the primaries.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »

Jesus. Mittens needs at least a 10 point thrashing in NH to maintain any credibility. Especially after he gets his rear handed to him in Iowa. Like I said another thread, it is amusing to watch the. GOP throw away success with both hands.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »

It's not unlike Cain leading polls for a few weeks but being completely written off by the press and the prediction markets. Essentially, a lot of the ferment that used to happen in the actual primary process, including flirtations with unlikely candidates, has been moved up to the pre-primaries. I'm sure this is the Internet's fault somehow.

Lindsay Tanner discussed the shortening of political attention spans as part of the Sideshow Syndrome. This then leads to a higher number of voters uncommitted to a party (or in your primary system, a candidate), who then shift around dramatically based on media coverage.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies