Labor Unions Now Reaching Out to Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:54:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Labor Unions Now Reaching Out to Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labor Unions Now Reaching Out to Republicans  (Read 4121 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »

It seems they're just supporting moderate Republicans who they don't think they can beat, but are willing to support against an anti-union crazy.

That's what everybody does - many companies give money to the people they think will win.

Difference is that the modern Republican Party has an almost religious dislike of labor unions -almost as intense as their hatred of taxes and big government -no matter how benevolent.  So it strikes me that these unions would give money to the one party that seeks their demise.  

Which is fairly odd really, it's not like it gains them any votes. Look at Ohio's vote. The GOP kind of deluded itself into thinking that the general public has an extreme burning hatred of unions and Scott Walker was going to be crowned this glorious hero and thus sought to emulate him before seeing if this was the case. Now that it's not they're kind of trying to just put it behind themselves.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »

Which doesn't contradict a thing I said. Of course the Republicans win a good chunk of union votes, but they don't "win" them the way Reagan did, on a consistent basis. Which is why I called it a temporary occurance, a statement which you objected to. The only way to object would be to argue otherwise, which is simply not the case. 

The idea that Reagan had any type of special appeal to union voters is one of the most annoying misconceptions that I just complained about in a previous post. And clearly spread by people who never actually looked at the 1984 county map.

Reagan may have improved amongst union members over previous Republican candidates, but in 1984 what demographic did he NOT improve in. The GOP complaining that they no longer perform as well among union members as Reagan is basically them complaining they don't win 58% of the vote and 49 states every election.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »

"Pro-labor Republican" is an oxymoron.

Actually, the New Jersey Republican party served the beck and call of the NJEA for almost 20 years. Some of the worst pieces of legislation in US History were passed and signed by Republicans.

Like Taft-Hartley, for example? (Well, not 'signed' by anybody...)

In New Jersey Governor Tom Kean signed legislation artificially boosting the salaries of NJEA members. Governor Don Difrancesco signed legislation artificially boosting the pensions of state unions by 9%.

It's quite amusing how these people believe that legislation can increase their compensation but not decrease it. And then they go around claiming that compensation should be collectively bargained and not legislated.

Public sector unions will naturally side with whatever party that lets then feed at the trough.

And Ohio disproved your delusion that most people have nothing but a burning extreme hatred for all public sector unions and want to slaughter all their members.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies