Opinion of this redistricting proposal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:06:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Opinion of this redistricting proposal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this redistricting proposal?  (Read 1849 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 19, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »

That looks like a gerrymander.  From a non-Silly POV, I would prefer the Pacific combined with the IDS.  And the Midwest-and Mideast combined into one heartland region.  That would make elections more competitive in both regions.  That is not to say I endorse this; I like the IDS how it is (though yes, we could use a little more activity).  But if I had to prune the regions down to three, that's how I would do it.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »

We certainly don't need to be adding Senators considering what we have now could be argued as too many.
The regions (under Teddy's plan) could each elect three senators, while at-large elections could be done away with.  (Just a thought).
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »

Trade West Virginia for Kansas and that is a more sensible set-up from an OTL US perspective than the current 5 region scheme.  The only thing that jumps out at me as problematic is the size of the new Western Region.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 09:09:52 PM by Conley »

Trade West Virginia for Kansas and that is a more sensible set-up from an OTL US perspective than the current 5 region scheme.  The only thing that jumps out at me as problematic is the size of the new Western Region.

Is this what you have in mind?

I like this proposal, actually.  I have always wanted Virginia in the Southeast since I first got into this game nearly six years ago.  It's exciting to see there is a prospect it might actually happen...
Yes, that is.  Though now that I look at it, the South may need to be paired down a bit and the northeast grown.  It would be more even if the NE had PA and DE back, and then West Virgnia, Missouri, and Oklahoma were transferred to the Rust/Corn Belt.

EDIT: Like So...

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 09:23:33 PM by Conley »

I guess the question for four regions becomes, how much effort should we put into population equity? I mean the Northeast is still rather overpopulated even if we take away PA. The current Pacific is barely half the ideal size for a new region (34.5 persons) so it would need to gobble up a lot.
But most of the Northeast is inactive.  Besides, people can move.  Any combination might prompt a lot of moving.  I would be interested if someone crunched the numbers for the below proposal.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies