Hypothetical: Europe's PIGS Start to Default in Mid-September 2012...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:37:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hypothetical: Europe's PIGS Start to Default in Mid-September 2012...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hypothetical: Europe's PIGS Start to Default in Mid-September 2012...  (Read 3880 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2011, 07:14:25 PM by Politico »

...and, with it, we have another global financial crisis that is perhaps worse than the one in September 2008. What does the Electoral College end up looking like in November 2012? (Hint: Imagine Bush running for re-election in 2008)

My prediction (Against Romney):

Too Close to Call: 40 (MA, NY)
Obama:                44 (RI, VT, MD, DC, IL, HI)
Romney:               454
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »

Ah, the ultimate GOP electoral fantasy... the world economy goes completely to ***t.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

I think we're headed towards a resounding rejection of the Republican Party's record, ideology, and campaign scare tactics. I think it's painfully obvious that there's really no way anymore than 40-45% of the country wants John McCain anywhere near the White House after his erratic behavior the past few weeks, his poor VP pick of the wholly unqualified Sarah "The $150,000 Woman" Palin, and after eight years of Republican rule under Bush (Who is better off today than they were in 2000 in any way, shape or form? The classic Republican question shows that the current Republican record has been an unprecedented failure). For days, weeks, months and years, everybody will be saying quietly to themselves, "WHY DIDN'T WE SEE THIS COMING? IT WAS SO OBVIOUS!":

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol
Wonkish1

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

Ah, the ultimate GOP electoral fantasy... the world economy goes completely to ***t.

I sure as hell am not rooting for that and I doubt many others are either.

You may notice I point out that its a possibility when I comment on it, I never, ever have given any notion that it would be a good thing.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »

I think we're headed towards a resounding rejection of the Republican Party's record, ideology, and campaign scare tactics. I think it's painfully obvious that there's really no way anymore than 40-45% of the country wants John McCain anywhere near the White House after his erratic behavior the past few weeks, his poor VP pick of the wholly unqualified Sarah "The $150,000 Woman" Palin, and after eight years of Republican rule under Bush (Who is better off today than they were in 2000 in any way, shape or form? The classic Republican question shows that the current Republican record has been an unprecedented failure). For days, weeks, months and years, everybody will be saying quietly to themselves, "WHY DIDN'T WE SEE THIS COMING? IT WAS SO OBVIOUS!":

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

The landslide prediction was correct, just the margin was too big.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

The landslide prediction was correct, just the margin was too big.

That's probably the nicest way you could of put it.  Tongue
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »

The Republicans react towards this scenario.

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

I am flattered that you're digging up my ancient posts. I obviously underestimated the "racist" factor in that prediction (I suspect my prediction would have held up had Hillary Clinton been the Democrat). I was not that far off in the popular vote, though. Plus, you can no longer call me a GOP hack, right?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »

No... just a melodramatic hack, regardless of which party has not done what you wanted them to do.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »

I sure as hell am not rooting for that and I doubt many others are either.

You may notice I point out that its a possibility when I comment on it, I never, ever have given any notion that it would be a good thing.

This.

Plus, some folks realize that the s**t hitting the fan in the EU is no longer a question of if, but when...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2011, 07:50:57 PM by Politico »

No... just a melodramatic hack, regardless of which party has not done what you wanted them to do.

I am still a registered Democrat, despite a rightward swing in opinion on numerous economic issues over the past three years, and nobody can change the fact that Mitt Romney is the first Republican I have ever supported for president.

If Barack Obama's skin color kept him from destroying McCain in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, imagine what will happen to Obama's re-election campaign if a financial crisis happens on his watch...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »

I doubt it can be staved off that long.  The more interesting scenario is what if the defaults happen this winter-spring?  The economy is still in the sh**tter by November, but it appears to be getting a little better.  The republicans of course nominate a crazy, but Americans Elect somehow found themselves with a credible candidate.  Then what?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »

I doubt it can be staved off that long.  The more interesting scenario is what if the defaults happen this winter-spring?  The economy is still in the sh**tter by November, but it appears to be getting a little better.  The republicans of course nominate a crazy, but Americans Elect somehow found themselves with a credible candidate.  Then what?

If the global economy crashes during the Republican primaries, I highly doubt Republicans are going to take their chances with one of the crazies or red meat types, and will nominate Romney because they realize he is the most capable to handle the crisis.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »

Thing is, a PIGS default in mid=September 2012 would not necessarily lead to a GOP landslide in November.  Obama seems to have decided to campaign on the theme "We've got things to do now and the Republicans are refusing to let them be done."  If that theme ends up resonating with the public (very unlikely absent a major crisis, but with a major crisis such as the one given, it would have a chance of doing so)  then it could be that not only does Obama retain the White House, but the Democrats keep the Senate and regain the House.  Not a likely possibility, but it is at least plausible unlike Politico's map.  Obama is no Mondale and Romney is certainly no Reagan.  Even in the worst of Republican landslides, Obama does much better than in Politico's map.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »

If the PIGS cause a collapse of world economy.  Obama could also take an aggressive stance not toward the Republicans but toward Europe.

Perhaps Obama could rally Americans using nationalism and anger toward banks and Europe.  We'll want to feel good about ourselves and blame others for our problems, and Europe will be the perfect target in the situation that Politico described.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:37 PM »

Yeah, I'm not so sure that a double-dip recession obviously caused by a European collapse would completely doom Obama. It's not like he has any control at all over what's happening in the Eurozone. Now, if things don't really get any better but don't get drastically worse, and in turn the American economy continues to slump, that would hurt him. But the political ramifications for Obama of some big, noticeable catastrophic European collapse is hard to predict.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2011, 11:55:17 PM by Fuzzy »

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

I am flattered that you're digging up my ancient posts. I obviously underestimated the "racist" factor in that prediction (I suspect my prediction would have held up had Hillary Clinton been the Democrat). I was not that far off in the popular vote, though. Plus, you can no longer call me a GOP hack, right?

I never called you a GOP hack.  Like Polnut said, you're a drama queen nevermind whatever political leanings you have.  

And lol you can't say you weren't off that much on the popular vote.  If you were off by 1 or 2%, you would be close.  You were off by about 6%, while most of the pollsters you ignored were, you know, actually correct.  Why do you even bother posting as if you're an expert?  Hell, my prediction overestimated Obama's national MOV by 1% and only got 2 states wrong while yours got 12.  Does that give me the right to spam a board with multiple threads about whatever the hell I believe?  Roll Eyes
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

I never called you a GOP hack.  Like Polnut said, you're a drama queen nevermind whatever political leanings you have.  

I prefer controversial over melodramatic. Some may call it trolling Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »

Mid-September 2012? Too late to make a difference if Americans think that such defaults have no relevance to their lives.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »

Mid-September 2012? Too late to make a difference if Americans think that such defaults have no relevance to their lives.

It will seem very relevant when the stock market is in the toilet and firms are laying off en masse again.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »

It will seem very relevant when the stock market is in the toilet and firms are laying off en masse again.

The lag between an economic downturn and mass layoffs is much longer than five weeks. It's more like five months unless business entities literally go under. June 2012, yes. Mid-September, no. 
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »

"start" to default?

Greece is paying back 50% of the face value, and the terms have been extended...

I think "default" by any sane definition has already begun, the are just calling it something else to avoid the credit default swaps from cutting in.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

The lag between an economic downturn and mass layoffs is much longer than five weeks. It's more like five months unless business entities literally go under. June 2012, yes. Mid-September, no. 

Job losses usually begin the minute the economy goes into a recession.  When the recession started in December 2007, job losses followed in January. 
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 01:15:22 AM »

Obama 478 (56.0%)
McCain 60 (43.0%)

lol

I prefer controversial over melodramatic. Some may call it trolling Tongue

I'm sorry but South Carolina wouldn't vote for a Democrat if the Republican was Obama.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 02:26:23 AM »

Hypothetically, the defaults will occur earlier than that, or the defaults, magically, will be pushed back until after election day.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies