Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:38:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."  (Read 4921 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »

Toomey could certainly help with Hispanics with his Portuguese background, but I still think it's going to be Christie, McDonnell, Thune, or Martinez.

LOL
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »

Toomey's fantastic, but still a 20-monther, and I doubt any 20-monther is getting picked.

Fantastic? How so? Genuinely curious as to your reasoning, not trolling. I have no particularly strong opinion on the man, but he's just a generic, bland, right-wing Republican no?

I mean, he wouldn't make a bad VP pick, I guess, as being bland and generic is probably a good thing after last time, but Republicans usually, in my experience, reserve their effusive praise for half-bright charismatics like Rubio and Palin.

Not that I'm suggesting you're a fan of the latter two, mind. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »

Toomey's fantastic, but still a 20-monther, and I doubt any 20-monther is getting picked.

Fantastic? How so? Genuinely curious as to your reasoning, not trolling. I have no particularly strong opinion on the man, but he's just a generic, bland, right-wing Republican no?

I mean, he wouldn't make a bad VP pick, I guess, as being bland and generic is probably a good thing after last time, but Republicans usually, in my experience, reserve their effusive praise for half-bright charismatics like Rubio and Palin.

He likes Rubio but not Palin.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »

He likes Rubio but not Palin.

Sounds right, just didn't want to make any assumptions. Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

True, but he has equivalent experience to Nixon in '52. Just like Eisenhower needed to burnish his ideological credentials with a red-meat Republican, so may Romney...

Romney, the 21st century Eisenhower.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »

True, but he has equivalent experience to Nixon in '52. Just like Eisenhower needed to burnish his ideological credentials with a red-meat Republican, so may Romney...

Romney, the 21st century Eisenhower.

Minus killing the Germans. Or being an honest person. Or being to the left of Obama (creating highways, protecting entitlements, acting reasonable and taking a neutral route in a foreign crisis, etc.).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »

Congratulations Phil.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »

Cheesy

http://www.politicspa.com/nro-toomey-enters-veep-stakes/29733/

Young-ish, very smart, from a swing state and already a leader in DC as a freshman Senator. And before anyone goes off about him being "too right wing," his conservative credentials would be a bonus if someone like Romney became the nominee and, as some of us noted a long time ago, he isn't some fire-breathing extremist flame thrower.

Unfortunately, I agree with Toomey when he says that he doesn't see it happening but he's someone to keep an eye on as a dark horse pick.

On a related note, if I had to pick someone that would be best suited to be President right now, I'd say it's Toomey so he'd definitely be able to step up if need be.

Phil, would a Romney/Toomey ticket get your Santorum-style support?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »

Cheesy

Young-ish, very smart, from a swing state and already a leader in DC as a freshman Senator. And before anyone goes off about him being "too right wing," his conservative credentials would be a bonus if someone like Romney became the nominee and, as some of us noted a long time ago, he isn't some fire-breathing extremist flame thrower.

Unfortunately, I agree with Toomey when he says that he doesn't see it happening but he's someone to keep an eye on as a dark horse pick.

On a related note, if I had to pick someone that would be best suited to be President right now, I'd say it's Toomey so he'd definitely be able to step up if need be.

Mitt Romney would be lucky to get my vote in any situation. He'll never get "Santorum-style support" from me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14:25 AM »

20 months + 36 months = Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 02:15:50 AM »

Cheesy

Mitt Romney would be lucky to get my vote in any situation. He'll never get "Santorum-style support" from me.

So I take it you're joining the Obama bandwagon if Romney is the nominee?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »

Cheesy

So I take it you're joining the Obama bandwagon if Romney is the nominee?

No, I'm just saying Mitt would be lucky to have my support. I wasn't using "lucky" here to imply that my chances of supporting him are low. I've said this for awhile now: in a General election between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, don't make me answer how I'd vote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »

Of course Phil will vote for Mittens silly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

1. Supports jail time for abortion providers. Small gov't GOP style.

One of my favorite disingenuous jabs from the idiots. It isn't "anti small government" to be in favor of government action when the taking of an innocent life is in question.
Of course, your argument makes as much sense as saying Toomey isn't truly a small government conservative because he favors taxpayer funded roads or a government funded military, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_abortion#Health_risks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zygote

One of these things is not like the other....

Of course one shouldn't argue that. Roads and (especially) military spending are things conservatives have always been hypocites about regarding "small government".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »

Toomey could certainly help with Hispanics with his Portuguese background, but I still think it's going to be Christie, McDonnell, Thune, or Martinez.

LOL
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »

Thune Rubio, I tell you. It's gonna be Thune Rubio. Tongue
Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: