Who won? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:08:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The debate
Mitt Romney

Newt Gingrich

Herman Cain

Rick Perry

Ron Paul

Rick Santorum

Michele Bachmann

Jon Huntsman

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Who won?  (Read 4532 times)
Wonkish1

« on: November 22, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »

Newt!
Wonkish1

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »

A conservative estimate on an immigration strategy like Newt's probably is worth 2-3% loss in support today in a GOP primary and practically all of that can be won back in not much time. It could likely result in no change.

Acceptance towards a real(not BS) comprehensive plan on immigration is rising with conservative voters. But for the most part its just showing up in people not willing to answer what happens after you have "secured the border" and "effectively stopped illegal immigration".
Wonkish1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »

A conservative estimate on an immigration strategy like Newt's probably is worth 2-3% loss in support today in a GOP primary and practically all of that can be won back in not much time. It could likely result in no change.

Acceptance towards a real(not BS) comprehensive plan on immigration is rising with conservative voters. But for the most part its just showing up in people not willing to answer what happens after you have "secured the border" and "effectively stopped illegal immigration".

Well Cain's answer to secure the border is to "Secure the border" and everything will be saved. I'd like to know HOW people, to all the candidates. All they say is a fence, and that will magically ward off millions.

Anybody that seriously looked at the issue said the only way you can really do it is some form of E-verify.
Wonkish1

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »

Outside of the immigration question, Next won the debate.  That being said, his answer will hurt him, the question is figuring out how much.  My guess is much less than Perry (and possibly much less) because, oddly enough, Perry had more Republican support at that point, and combined it with an utterly amazing ability to not communicate at the same time (a double-whammy of sorts).  I might as well mention that, on all the issues out there, jmfcst is least reliable as a Republican bellwether on this issue being that he's from Texas.  The Republican base in Texas is in a different world on this one than most other Republican bases (see, e.g., Iowa)

Let me also add the various attempts Romney makes at pandering are beyond bad, and are starting to make me really think that the anti-Romneys might even take a gander at Ron Paul if Newt flames out.  Seriously.  I have never seen anyone as unbelievable as Romney is on this, and I've seen quite a lot.  No wonder he's stuck with the same numbers as always.

As for the others, Cain is once again completely outmatched by normal questioning.  Perry did ok, but tired out before the end (as always).  Ron Paul was Ron Paul.  Bachmann is very good at attacking others in her own way, but brings nothing new to the table.  Huntsman is, of course, an asshole, but performed better in this debate than before.  Santorum, well, who cares...

I think you would be surprised to hear that a decent number on the most conservative sites are coming out in agreement with Newt's answer because it puts such a far out "statute of limitations" that it can't be construed as a magnet. Nobody will come because people who've been here for 20 years are staying and people who've been here for a few years are getting the boot.

So there is some disagreement. But ultimately its still pretty quiet. Conservatives are currently in the middle of a respectful and thought out debate on the topic right now!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies