Will Ron Paul make a third party bid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:27:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Ron Paul make a third party bid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Ron Paul make a third party bid?  (Read 1304 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

This presidential campaign is Paul's last hurrah.  He is retiring from Congress at the end of his term one way or the other and will obviously be too old to make another go in 2016.  What are the chances that, after the GOP primary, Paul carries his campaign on as an independent or as the libertarian party candidate?  There is no love lost between Paul and the Republican establishment; the only person that will be involved in this decision is Paul and his family.  One can also view it as the circle coming to a completion; his first presidential bid, after all, was as the Libertarian party candidate.

Americans Elect gives him the opportunity to run as a third party candidate without having to worry about ballot access and with a starting war chest in the millions.  I would not be surprised if he ran on the AE platform with the Libertarian Party endorsement (and possibly as the libertarian candidate in states that Americans Elect for whatever reason does not obtain ballot access).

Do you think this is possible?  And if so, what chances do you give Paul of winning states (especially if the sovereign debt bubble in Europe pops, sparking a Chinese hard landing, another global credit crunch, and a harsh recession in the US)?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »

Doubt it. Does he really have the money to run a national campaign?

I have to admit that I don't understand your fixation on "Americans Elect", Yelnoc. It's just a boring centrist hack group that'll end up endorsing some eyewateringly 'moderate hero' ticket with Michael Bloomberg on it. The sequel to the irrelevant "Unity '08" fiasco.

And, no, obviously Paul would win no states. He might get in the low double-digits in some - about ten percent in Montana or similar supposedly libertarian states is possible, I guess.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »

Doubt it. Does he really have the money to run a national campaign?

I have to admit that I don't understand your fixation on "Americans Elect", Yelnoc. It's just a boring centrist hack group that'll end up endorsing some eyewateringly 'moderate hero' ticket with Michael Bloomberg on it. The sequel to the irrelevant "Unity '08" fiasco.

And, no, obviously Paul would win no states. He might get in the low double-digits in some - about ten percent in Montana or similar supposedly libertarian states is possible, I guess.

My fixation?  It can easily be co-opted by Greenpeace types, AnonymousLulzKiddies, or Paulites (or maybe centrists will hold onto their boring Bloomber-esque candidate, I doubt it).  The point is, whatever fringe group take control will have ballot access to all 50 states and a starting war chest of several million dollars.  That means the candidate will be able to hit the ground running.  Add in a figure like Paul with national name recognition and a cult following and, suddenly, you have a three-man race.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »

Paul wont derail his sons career. Rand is looking at 2016 (assuming Obama gets another term), and needs the support in the primaries. If Paul runs, he will split the vote, and thus spoil it for us, allowing Obama another term. Ron Paul is smart enough to realize this. If he did run 3rd party, he would get the Libertarian and Constitution nominations/endorsements, and with his moneybomb strategy, he easily can raise enough money. He will likely win at least Montana or Idaho.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

Paul wont derail his sons career. Rand is looking at 2016 (assuming Obama gets another term), and needs the support in the primaries. If Paul runs, he will split the vote, and thus spoil it for us, allowing Obama another term. Ron Paul is smart enough to realize this. If he did run 3rd party, he would get the Libertarian and Constitution nominations/endorsements, and with his moneybomb strategy, he easily can raise enough money. He will likely win at least Montana or Idaho.

But Rand was in an even more precarious position in 2008, not even favored for the 2010 senate nomination, and it didn't stop Ron Paul from endorsing the Constitution ticket.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »

But Rand was in an even more precarious position in 2008, not even favored for the 2010 senate nomination, and it didn't stop Ron Paul from endorsing the Constitution ticket.
In 2008 the Tea Party did not exist. In 2009, it did. Rands chances shot up. He still is in a precarious position, he very well could lose reelection to the Senate if the party moves away from the Tea Party.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »

He doesn't really care about Republicans winning as much as he cares about his ideals which are a  blend of Paleoconservatism/Libertarianism.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »

No, Ron Paul can only succeed ideologically by having his ideas become mainstream in the Republican Party and running as an independent would mess up the goodwill he's managed to build over the last four years.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »

I hope so.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »

How'd that work out in 1988?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

Nope. Any implulse he'd have to go out with a 3rd party bang is stopped by not wanting to S#*t all over Rand's rising career.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »

No, Ron Paul can only succeed ideologically by having his ideas become mainstream in the Republican Party and running as an independent would mess up the goodwill he's managed to build over the last four years.

What goodwill? He's often called a crank by the mainstream media.

I think he might as well, if it's a last shot I don't think he'd really care about his son's political future (he's still against insiders I'm assuming). I'd  hope it be independent, I don't know much about Americans Elect. Would he win states? Maybe, anything is possible but probably not, think Ross Perot numbers.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

Better then most Wink
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp