Underlying trend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Underlying trend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Underlying trend  (Read 11769 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »

Ah yes, one of the highlights of "Zulu."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2005, 11:55:55 AM »

uh.. wasn't this thread supposed to be about presidential election trends....?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2005, 06:33:54 PM »

Costello is a Norman-Irish name, like Burke, Butler, Doyle, any of the Fitz names etc.  The only solid connection with Spain is that the original inhabitants of Ireland came from Spain around 10,000 years ago.  As a result, genetics have found a strong link betweeen Basaque and West Coast Irish- where the darker Irish are prevelant.  The Celts who invaded Ireland later brought with them the traits of blondism and red hair.  The myth was that the survivors of the Armada landed in Ireland- it is false and fanciful.  There are some isolated instances of Spanish families in Ireland but ther reverse was much more prevalent- "Flight of the Earls"
The most famous Irishman of "Spanish blood" was Irish President and Taoiseach Eamonn de Valera who was born in New York City to an Irish mother and Hispanic father.

My wife has her family tree from Ireland traced back to 680AD. Their are spanish names a few years after the Armada incident.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2005, 02:23:57 AM »

Costello is a Norman-Irish name, like Burke, Butler, Doyle, any of the Fitz names etc.  The only solid connection with Spain is that the original inhabitants of Ireland came from Spain around 10,000 years ago.  As a result, genetics have found a strong link betweeen Basaque and West Coast Irish- where the darker Irish are prevelant.  The Celts who invaded Ireland later brought with them the traits of blondism and red hair.  The myth was that the survivors of the Armada landed in Ireland- it is false and fanciful.  There are some isolated instances of Spanish families in Ireland but ther reverse was much more prevalent- "Flight of the Earls"
The most famous Irishman of "Spanish blood" was Irish President and Taoiseach Eamonn de Valera who was born in New York City to an Irish mother and Hispanic father.

My wife has her family tree from Ireland traced back to 680AD. Their are spanish names a few years after the Armada incident.

I don't doubt the veracity of your statement.  680 ad is way back-even before the Irish had surnames really.  I am an Irish history buff and would be interested in the history.  The whole crux of my statement is that the tendency towards black hair etc. is something that was indigenous to the Irish people for millenia before the Armada.  There might have been a few stragglers from the Armada who made it to Sligo but they did not change the gene pool.  My surname comes from the Irish language for Tribe and some like to fashion it the oldest Irish name.  (Tuatha) De Danaan.  I realize though that my family were tinker, dirt farmers. 

phkrocket metioned how this thread has gone off in a total tangent.  He is right but that is what I like about this site.  There are a lot of people with such contrasting values and ideas that it help[s you focus your own preconceived notions. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2005, 02:27:00 AM »

I don't doubt the veracity of your statement.  680 ad is way back-even before the Irish had surnames really.  I am an Irish history buff and would be interested in the history.  The whole crux of my statement is that the tendency towards black hair etc. is something that was indigenous to the Irish people for millenia before the Armada.  There might have been a few stragglers from the Armada who made it to Sligo but they did not change the gene pool.  My surname comes from the Irish language for Tribe and some like to fashion it the oldest Irish name.  (Tuatha) De Danaan.  I realize though that my family were tinker, dirt farmers. 

phkrocket metioned how this thread has gone off in a total tangent.  He is right but that is what I like about this site.  There are a lot of people with such contrasting values and ideas that it help[s you focus your own preconceived notions. 

My wifes family were upperclass from county Ferminaugh. My family were dirt poor from Cork county.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2005, 02:48:30 AM »

My wifes family were upperclass from county Ferminaugh. My family were dirt poor from Cork county.

Fermanagh is a pretty area.  I was there on a day trip from Derry.  I have a lot of family from Cork.  My whole family from the Cork side has never lived more than 10 miles from the ocean nor have I.  Something in the blood maybe.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2005, 06:23:18 AM »

It's called a thread hijack, and I like them. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies