Ron Paul win's Iowa (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul win's Iowa (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul win's Iowa  (Read 805 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 25, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »

If Ron Paul wins Iowa, I think he could pull off a second close enough to Romney in New Hampshire to make Romney look weak.  That means South Carolina is a free-for all between Romney, Paul, and the SoCon Flavor (let's assume Gingrich).  I would guess the media would play the SoCon as still in the race after "a strong second in Iowa".  So say Gingrich wins South Carolina.

Then its Florida.  I highly doubt Paul can be a contender here, so it is between Romney and Gingrich.  Let's call it a toss-up.  But then February fourth is the Nevada Caucuses, which Paul has a chance at.  If he wins there, he could have enough momentum to win the Colorado, Minnesota, and Maine caucuses.  And then there is the Missouri Primary, where he could sneak by if none of the "major candidates" pay any attention to the state.  The question is, how much attention does the media give Paul for these wins?

At the very end of February we have the Michigan and Arizona primaries.  If Romney won Florida, I have a feeling that he would wrap these up fairly easily.  Then its the Washington Caucus, which Paul could win, and then Super Tuesday.  Paul may well be dismissed as the "Caucus Candidate," which would obviously kill his chances at the nomination.  I wonder if this would be enough to spur Paul on to a third party bid?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »

He could win Iowa, but as more candidates drop out he'll lose every state. He can win states, as long as the primary vote is deeply divided because he is not a unifying figure of the party, he doesn't represent "generic" republican better than any of the other candidates. He'll pick up support sure, maybe more if he's the anti-Romney, but his ideology won't let him win a one on one or even down to a three person race.
I think with his high fund-raising capability and highly motivated base, he could pack most, if not all of the caucuses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies