Kentucky Church bans interracial couples after vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Kentucky Church bans interracial couples after vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky Church bans interracial couples after vote  (Read 2843 times)
Stardust
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2011, 09:22:43 PM by Stardust »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57334337/small-ky-church-bans-interracial-couples/

I feel they're within their rights as a congregation to do so. And I'm perfectly within my rights to declare them backwards, bigoted, and utterly without redeeming value.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just remember though, we Northerners are all really the racist ones. The South is a land of peace and harmony.

Or so the modern revisionist mythology would have us believe.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »

Morons.

Just remember though, we Northerners are all really the racist ones. The South is a land of peace and harmony.

...what does this have to do with anything? What provoked this? Are there a bunch of people here making this claim or something?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »

Coal country in Appalachia isnt exactly the deep South.  It is like 98% White.
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

Morons.

...what does this have to do with anything? What provoked this? Are there a bunch of people here making this claim or something?

It's a trend I've noticed which has increased since the election of Obama whenever the subject of racism is broached. Generally I'll bring up the subject of the South's racial inequalities, and someone will interject "oh yeah lolz? the north is more segregated!"

Which I don't deny is true. But for pure racial tension, it's hard to beat ol' Dixie.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »

Morons.

It's a trend I've noticed which has increased since the election of Obama whenever the subject of racism is broached. Generally I'll bring up the subject of the South's racial inequalities, and someone will interject "oh yeah lolz? the north is more segregated!"

Which I don't deny is true. But for pure racial tension, it's hard to beat ol' Dixie.

Is that a trend you've seen here in this forum, because it isn't really productive to get all snarky about something that doesn't apply to your audience.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »

I've certainly mentioned that the NorthEast is racist here before.  I don't know if it's MORE racist than the south, but it certainly is more racist than the middle or western half of the nation.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »

I don't know if I'd say they can't do this, but they sure as hell should lose their tax-exempt status over this.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2011, 10:21:13 AM by jmfcst »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not sure whether you can't read, or you're not very smart, or you're just being a hack, or all of the above...but, obviously, this is not representative of the jmfcsts.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »

I don't know if I'd say they can't do this, but they sure as hell should lose their tax-exempt status over this.

so, because you (and I) don't agree with them, they should lose their tax-exempt status over this?!

how do you make that connection?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »

Some people, of all races, have a problem with it.  I am not one of them.

A church certainly may set standards on its members.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »

Well as my church is actually led by an interracial couple (she's Asian not black which is no doubt what they had in mind but it still counts) they probably believe we are all going to hell.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »

so, because you (and I) don't agree with them, they should lose their tax-exempt status over this?!

Blatantly politicizing your church into a discriminatory institution?  Isn't the right wing always trying to take away the NAACP's tax-exempt status for the same reason?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Blatantly politicizing your church into a discriminatory institution?  Isn't the right wing always trying to take away the NAACP's tax-exempt status for the same reason?

The church and state separation has to be generally well defined, no matter how distasteful.  Your impulse is the reason that many churches fear the civil union>>gay marriage legalization. That is they will ultimately be compelled to conduct ceremonies or face consequences.
Or you could look at the obvious discriminatory hiring practices of many denominations. 
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

I have no problem myself allowing this Church the right to discriminate against whosoever they wish, provided others who feel likewise on the subject will admit that religious organizations like the Quakers ought to have the right to legally marry whosoever they wish. Fair trade, no?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »

I'd have no problem with that.  Of course, many would if that religious ceremony be considered legally binding.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »

Where's the politics here?  If the church was to advocate against the legality of interracial marriage, you'd have a point.  Of course, I'd solve the problem by simply eliminating the concept of "tax-exempt status" which causes all sorts of shady shenanigans by those who try to take advantage of by following the letter but not the spirit behind granting such perks to charitable and religious organizations.

You ever catch that episode of Sanford and Son where Fred tries for a tax dodge by becoming a mail-order reverend and turning his home into the Chapel on the Junkpile for the church of the Seventh-Day Junkists?
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »

I'd have no problem with that.  Of course, many would if that religious ceremony be considered legally binding.

If it wouldn't be legally binding, then no religious ceremony ought to be legally binding (which I'd also endorse).
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »

It's always weird when this type of thing happens in a really small group. I mean, if you read between the lines, this isn't about banning interracial couples. It's about banning this one guy called Ticha from entering.

I get a sense that it might be more of a personal thing between the two dudes mentioned in the article. It's sort of like when they discuss throwing out immigrants in certain Swedish suburbs. Tongue
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

If it wouldn't be legally binding, then no religious ceremony ought to be legally binding (which I'd also endorse).

religious ceremonies are not legally binding, which is why both the pastor and the couple have to have a marriage licence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies