Ranking the Senate Races.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:49:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ranking the Senate Races.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ranking the Senate Races....  (Read 14280 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 22, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »

The Utah Senate race is incredibly depressing; the candidate is good on paper (and in speeches), but it's Scott Howell, the guy who ran against Hatch in 2000 and who lost by 30 points. Hatch is just too entrenched, too wily, and Utah is much to ingrained into the attitude of electing Hatch to change. Governor Herbert is more vulnerable than Hatch, for crying out loud. I would bet that if any Utah Democratic fluke wins happen this year, it'll be in the Governor's seat, not the Senate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

The Utah Senate race is incredibly depressing; the candidate is good on paper (and in speeches), but it's Scott Howell, the guy who ran against Hatch in 2000 and who lost by 30 points. Hatch is just too entrenched, too wily, and Utah is much to ingrained into the attitude of electing Hatch to change. Governor Herbert is more vulnerable than Hatch, for crying out loud. I would bet that if any Utah Democratic fluke wins happen this year, it'll be in the Governor's seat, not the Senate.
Governor Herbert is popular though. He will still be hard to beat.

Well, of course. Herbert's very popular, and he's very savvy at being a Utah politician. I'm just saying that it's more likely that he loses than Hatch losing. Hatch hasn't spent $10 million dollars of Utah taxpayer money in a payoff to a construction company, for example. Hatch isn't the one who keeps underfunding Utah education so much that we're the worst in terms of per-pupil spending. It wasn't under Hatch's watch that a fourth of everyone in the state had their medical info hacked in some way. Hatch isn't wasting the money of Utah taxpayers in a fruitless attempt to sue the Feds for control of state lands.

All these things and more happened under Herbert. I'm not saying that any of these scandals will sink Herbert, but they're more damaging and useful to the Democrat than a Hatch scandal. Herbert's still probably going to win against Peter Cooke, but at least he's got a chance. Against Hatch, no Democrat has a chance.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »

So I've heard (from Politico) that the North Dakota race seems to be a lot more competitive than previously thought; can anybody give info on why this is so? Politico says that Heidi Heitkamp has proven to be a much better campaigner than everybody thought, but beyond that, why is the race so close?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »

So I've heard (from Politico) that the North Dakota race seems to be a lot more competitive than previously thought; can anybody give info on why this is so? Politico says that Heidi Heitkamp has proven to be a much better campaigner than everybody thought, but beyond that, why is the race so close?

It's not. Berg will beat the woman comfortably.

"the woman"? You're having way too much fun with this "arch-conservative" shtick, aren't you?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies