Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:30:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Poll
Question: Which is the most absurd objective proposed by Newt Gingrich?
Putting mirrors in outerspace to light highways

Colonizing the moon for resources such as moon rocks

Repealing child labor laws so children can spend time in school being janitors rather than learning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular  (Read 39859 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »

This is what happens when you have a few beers before getting on here. I apologize, folks. I stepped a bit too far with this one.

I applaud you for your honesty, and your general coherence in your post. After "a few beers", most just say "fay GINGRIC?J destoued the nattiooon".
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »

This is what happens when you have a few beers before getting on here. I apologize, folks. I stepped a bit too far with this one.

actually, from my experience, employers serve alcohol at parties only to find out who the real arseholes are in the company and target them for firing - in other words, alcohol doesn't change your personality, alcohol amplifies it.

So, you can apologize all you want, but now we know how you really think.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Move this entire thread to the comedy goldmine, please.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »

Seek help, dude.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »

I've said many, many dumb things drunk.  I'm not sure if I've ever blamed a politician I didn't like for 9/11, though.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »

I've said many, many dumb things drunk.  I'm not sure if I've ever blamed a politician I didn't like for 9/11, though.

there's a difference between a) saying dumb things when drunk (e.g. "why is face in this toliet bowl"), and b) alcohol bringing out your inner personality
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »

...from my experience, employers serve alcohol at parties only to find out who the real arseholes are in the company and target them for firing - in other words, alcohol doesn't change your personality, alcohol amplifies it.

Surely you are joking here, jmfcst.  Arseholes are precisely the type that companies prefer - your own success in the field of toils is a very handy and apropos example.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »

...from my experience, employers serve alcohol at parties only to find out who the real arseholes are in the company and target them for firing - in other words, alcohol doesn't change your personality, alcohol amplifies it.

Surely you are joking here, jmfcst.  Arseholes are precisely the type that companies prefer - your own success in the field of toils is a very handy and apropos example.

be that as it may, I am smart enough NEVER to drink at business events.  from what I have witnessed, the risks are simply WAY too high.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »

be that as it may, I am smart enough NEVER to drink at business events.  from what I have witnessed, the risks are simply WAY too high.

It is so sad that you have to live in such a frightened fashion, but such is the plight of the working class, jmfcst.

As for myself, I don't drink anyway (beyond a single glass of wine with dinner, or more rarely one cocktail before).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »

I applaud you for your honesty, and your general coherence in your post. After "a few beers", most just say "fay GINGRIC?J destoued the nattiooon".
Never happened to me.

The only way you noticed the couple of times I've posted on here really, really, really drunk, is because there's always a post or two somewhere in there admitting to the fact in a non sequitur.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 04:31:24 PM by Politico »

actually, from my experience, employers serve alcohol at parties only to find out who the real arseholes are in the company and target them for firing - in other words, alcohol doesn't change your personality, alcohol amplifies it.

So, you can apologize all you want, but now we know how you really think.

There's no question that I really think Gingrich is a bad bet and a horrible character. This has been made abundantly clear. Where I stepped over the line was trying to argue against Gingrich via Lewinsky/911. It was over-the-top.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

I've said many, many dumb things drunk.  I'm not sure if I've ever blamed a politician I didn't like for 9/11, though.

Where did you infer that I blamed 9/11 on Gingrich? Obviously Al Qaeda was responsible for the attack. My ridiculous argument was that perhaps 9/11 could have been prevented if not for the diversion of resources in the Clinton Administration as a result of the string of investigations that Gingrich launched. It is over-the-top and I have apologized. But I am not going to apologize for blaming 9/11 on Gingrich because I did no such thing.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »

I agree. Besides, it is much more fun watching your coworkers misbehave while you are straight.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 04:56:07 PM by Politico »

Female Voters

How is Gingrich going to be any more competitive than McCain if he cannot win over female voters? Or are we really supposed to believe that Gingrich can improve McCain's female support by 10% or more (i.e., move it from 43% to 47-48%, about a ten percent improvement, which is the the bare minimum needed to beat Obama). Romney is the one who can get the female numbers up there. Unlike Gingrich, Romney has a marital/family background that is squeaky clean and he is an exceptionally handsome individual, especially for his age.

Conclusion: Romney has a higher ceiling

Nobody's Idea of an "Extremist Ideologue" and/or "Dirty"

Furthermore, there are plenty of people who do not support Obama who would not support nor vote for Gingrich, myself included. In fact, I would vote for Obama again if that is the choice. Almost everybody who does not support Obama would support Romney, or at least vote for him. Can you name anybody who does not support Obama who would vote for Obama over Romney? Most importantly, perhaps Romney will unite the nation a bit more by toning down the partisan flames. He is nobody's idea of a "savior," and will just get the job done well and quietly without bells and whistles. That's what we need in Washington, DC, more than anything.

Conclusion: Romney has a higher floor
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »

I don't see Gingrich winning the key states. He'll get absolutely destroyed in suburban Philly, DC and South Florida..maybe even worse than McCain in 2008
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 06:46:49 PM by Politico »

Al Gore, the Democratic Party presidential nominee in 2000, wanted to know whether Newt Gingrich, the former Republican U.S. House speaker, would appear in a 2008 television ad calling for action to address climate change.

Gingrich, who was promoting his latest book “Contract With the Earth” and urging “green conservatism,” agreed. In an e- mail obtained by Bloomberg News that he wrote to the former vice president, Gingrich thanked Gore “for the opportunity to participate in the Protect Climate ad campaign.” He signed the March 2008 note, “Your friend, Newt.”

Those exchanges led Gingrich, now a Republican presidential candidate, to a chilly, rainy commercial set in April 2008, sitting side-by-side, knee-to-knee on a love seat with then- Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, with the cameras rolling.

Gingrich’s primary opponents already are pouncing on the ad as evidence that the former speaker’s record on such core conservative principles as opposing government regulations to curb global warming makes him unsuited for the nomination and less-equipped to defeat President Barack Obama.

While the climate-change ad is the highest-profile bipartisan event Gingrich engaged in between his 1999 retirement from Congress and his presidential campaign, it isn’t the only one. He’s also appeared with marquee Democrats, such as then- Senator Hillary Clinton, in gatherings highlighting health care, global warming and education.

Today, most of Gingrich’s primary competitors deny climate change is happening or that humans have a role in it. Gingrich now says he’s “agnostic” on the issue.

Gingrich’s opponents will have other bipartisan appearances to use as weapons.

A year before his ad with Pelosi, Gingrich teamed with Kerry for a debate on carbon-reduction methods in which Gingrich said, “My message is that the evidence is sufficient that we should move towards the most effective possible steps to reduce carbon loading of the atmosphere.”

And in 2009, Gingrich appeared with Obama and the Reverend Al Sharpton at the White House to promote changes in education policy, which followed with a Philadelphia appearance on the same issue with Sharpton and Obama’s Education Secretary Arne Duncan.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-02/gingrich-accepting-gore-invite-lands-on-love-seat-with-pelosi.html
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

good, Al Gore needs a friend.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 06:28:59 PM by Politico »

In 2005, Gingrich appeared with then-Senator Hillary Clinton at an event called “Cease-fire on Health Care” at American University in Washington, where he called for “100 percent coverage,” and a system that involves a “transfer of finances” to help low-income people afford medical insurance.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-02/gingrich-accepting-gore-invite-lands-on-love-seat-with-pelosi.html

Sounds a lot like ObamaCare to me. Mitt Romney recognizes that healthcare is a state issue, not a federal issue. Does Newt Gingrich? Mitt Romney recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all healthcare policy for every state. Does Newt Gingrich?
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »

You have to understand that economic issues are wholly secondary to the sort of voter who has already thrown in with the Grinch.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »

In 2005, Gingrich appeared with then-Senator Hillary Clinton at an event called “Cease-fire on Health Care” at American University in Washington, where he called for “100 percent coverage,” and a system that involves a “transfer of finances” to help low-income people afford medical insurance.

Sounds a lot like ObamaCare to me. Mitt Romney recognizes that healthcare is a state issue, not a federal issue. Does Newt Gingrich? Mitt Romney recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all healthcare policy for every state. Does Newt Gingrich?

yawn...just wake me up when you come to the story detailing Newt sleeping with my wife.
WillK

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »

good, Al GoreGingrich needs a friend.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

I still don't see the point of these Newt threads.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »

So we've found the one issue Gingrich is sorta moderate on.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

yawn...just wake me up when you come to the story detailing Newt sleeping with my wife.

So the jmfcsts really support ObamaCare? And teaming up with Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore on global warming? Methinks the jmfcsts might want to rethink their support (once again).
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »

I still don't see the point of these Newt threads.

Newt essentially coming out in favor of ObamaCare-style federal policy in 2005 is not worthy of discussion now that Gingrich is seemingly relevant?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies