Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:10:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Poll
Question: Which is the most absurd objective proposed by Newt Gingrich?
Putting mirrors in outerspace to light highways

Colonizing the moon for resources such as moon rocks

Repealing child labor laws so children can spend time in school being janitors rather than learning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular  (Read 39768 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »

Was it ever confirmed that the Perry campaign was actually behind the Cain sexual discrimination stories as originally suspected? Obviously Gingrich is the one who benefited from Cain's downfall. Has anybody looked into whether or not the original story came from the Gingrich campaign? It's funny how the timing of the stories coincided nicely with the Cain V. Gingrich debate...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »

Heilemann and Halperin will tell in 2014. Until then...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »

The moderator probably wouldnt approve what I truly want to say so I'll just say this...

The only thing more disturbing then your mania for Romney is your obsession with Gingrich. I don't think you understand that this is a democratic (not the party) primary where the voters get to choose and multiple candidates will run.  Just because a candidate is beating the one you support in the polls doesnt make him evil or stupid or whatever, and it doesn't make his supporters idiots. 

Let the democratic process play out and stop throwing out bullsh**t statements and theories that only hurt YOUR cause
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2011, 11:04:09 PM by Politico »

The moderator probably wouldnt approve what I truly want to say so I'll just say this...

The only thing more disturbing then your mania for Romney is your obsession with Gingrich. I don't think you understand that this is a democratic (not the party) primary where the voters get to choose and multiple candidates will run.  Just because a candidate is beating the one you support in the polls doesnt make him evil or stupid or whatever, and it doesn't make his supporters idiots.  

Let the democratic process play out and stop throwing out bullsh**t statements and theories that only hurt YOUR cause

So who supplied the stories about Cain if you had to speculate? Nobody? We know somebody did, right? Would you bet on it being somebody who did not benefit from the stories, or somebody who did benefit from them?

As for Gingrich, he's only the one candidate in the race who gave false information to a House Ethics Committee and paid a fine of $300,000 to avoid a hearing on the matter. In fact, the Special Counsel to the House Ethics Committee concluded that Gingrich violated federal tax law in relation to this matter. And you do not for a second think he had something to do with anything dirty? Squeaky clean Newt all of a sudden? Let's not forget what he once said about his fellow Republicans in the House: "I will not preside over people who are cannibals." Yeah, Gingrich also holds the dubious distinction of being the only candidate in the race who has ever referred to fellow Republicans as "cannibals." Oh, and what was it he said about Paul Ryan's "social engineering" scheme?

Nobody is slimier than Newt Gingrich, and he will lose in spectacular fashion to Obama if he somehow wins the nomination. Why do you think the establishment is not backing this creep?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

The only thing more disturbing then your mania for Romney is your obsession with Gingrich. I don't think you understand that this is a democratic (not the party) primary where the voters get to choose and multiple candidates will run.  Just because a candidate is beating the one you support in the polls doesnt make him evil or stupid or whatever, and it doesn't make his supporters idiots. 

So who supplied the stories about Cain in your humble opinion?
The women who accused him?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2011, 11:14:47 PM by Politico »

The John Edwards Factor (AKA the "I Do Not Care About My Wife's Cancer" Factor): Gingrich cheated on his first wife while she was battling cancer

The Bill Clinton Factor (AKA the "I Have Affairs With Women Who Are Much Younger Than Me" Factor): Gingrich cheated on his second wife with a woman who is twenty five years younger than he is (she is actually younger than Gingrich's daughters)

The Richard Nixon Factor (AKA the "I am Not a Crook" Factor): Gingrich gave false information to the House Ethics Committee and paid a fine of $300,000 to avoid a hearing on the matter. Special Counsel to the House Ethics Committee concluded that Gingrich violated federal tax law in relation to this matter.

For good measure:

The Arlen Specter Factor (AKA the "I Support RINOs" Factor): Gingrich was Nelson Rockefeller's top coordinator in the South in 1968 (i.e., Gingrich favored the original RINO over Ronald Reagan)

And he definitely has the "values" factor nailed down by virtue of the fact he dumped his southern Baptist upbringing in favor of Catholicism back in 2009. Billy Graham would be proud, especially in light of the above laundry list!

-----------------------------------

Good luck beating scandal-free Barack Obama with this creep!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »

Well, you have me convinced. That damn Newt converted to Catholicism, the bastard.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »

Well, you have me convinced. That damn Newt converted to Catholicism, the bastard.

If there was ever such a thing as a Romneyite (speaking as a Romneyite myself) with a Palinista mindset, Politico's it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »

Trying to argue that Gingrich supplied the stories to the media is hilarious because it implies that he's running anything resembling a serious political operation and isn't just "campaigning" by roaming the country speaking into any microphone he can find.

Honestly, if you make the assumption that another candidate was pushing these stories, I don't see how you could point your finger at anyone besides Romney. He's the only candidate who's built up more than the barest semblance of a campaign infrastructure; so far in this campaign, nobody besides Romney's team has even once exhibited the degree of professionalism it would require to accomplish this sort of thing.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »

Politico is starting to lose it now that Romney may not be the nominee. I wonder what he will say if Newt actually pulls this off?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »

Actually there was a big Romney donor who had worked for the National Restaurant Association and there was speculation about him being the leak.  But is the suggestion it's inappropriate to go after someone for their poor personal conduct?  If not, what does it matter who provided the info?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »

Actually there was a big Romney donor who had worked for the National Restaurant Association and there was speculation about him being the leak.

Well, if you're the type to be entertained by silly conspiracy theories, note that the son of the guy that Mitt Romney was named after was serving on the National Restaurant Association's board of directors during Cain's entire tenure there.

Grin
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:53:15 AM »

I get supporting Romney, but I do not see how he is something to engender passion...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:10:20 AM »

Well said.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »

This is good news for John McCain.  The news being that you didn't mention him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »

I have no problem with religious conversions as such so long as they imply either contemplation (as in "Judaism is richer than what I grew up with"), a change in personal life for the better ("I became a Mormon and quit drinking" or "I became a Muslim and gave up racism" ), confirmation of the stronger faith of of a spouse ("My wife convinced me that Catholicism would strengthen our marriage"). When it reeks of opportunism it is suspect.     
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »

If N00t becomes President, the country is done for. That's it. It's over. No more.

There's just no second chances after something like that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 03:41:18 AM »

Wait. You're bringing up who he supported for President over four decades ago, and disengenuously claiming he supported a "RINO over Reagan" even though at that point Reagan was a pretty liberal first-term governor running as a favorite son for California... are you really so worried about Gingrich beating Romney that you'll make such a silly argument?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »

Politico,

You have the essential Gingrich.

The thing is that he is a sociopath, who will blithely tell a string of preposterous lies without blinking an eye.

Yes, he's articulate, but also very dishonest.

He likes being "clever," by which he means tricking people.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:36 AM »

Indeed. Also, it worth nothing that Ginrgich doesn't have any of Clinton and Nixon positives (Edwards had no positives).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »

You forgot Hitler and Stalin.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 06:36:36 AM »

And Dora the Explorer.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »

Politico,

You have the essential Gingrich.

The thing is that he is a sociopath, who will blithely tell a string of preposterous lies without blinking an eye.

Yes, he's articulate, but also very dishonest.

He likes being "clever," by which he means tricking people.

Wow, I didn't seriously think he had a chance in this field until this post. Thanks for putting it in perspective Carl.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »

When I saw the title of this thread, without even looking at the started by column, I thought 'I bet Politico wrote this'.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »

Well, two of these three people managed to get elected president...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies