Any "sleeper" states that you think Romney could surprise in the general?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Any "sleeper" states that you think Romney could surprise in the general?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any "sleeper" states that you think Romney could surprise in the general?  (Read 659 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

Let's assume for a minute that he wins the nomination.  What typically blue state do you think he could somehow surprise and win, either do you favorable demographics or other factors?

I think New Hampshire is the obvious answer, but what others do you think? Or, have the Democrats basically put a lock on so many states, similar to the GOP from '68-'88 that no matter who the nominee, it won't matter?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »

Let's assume for a minute that he wins the nomination.  What typically blue state...

Romney as the nominee and winning a blue state?  That's one big assumption.  Might as well assume the moon is made of blue cheese.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

Let's assume for a minute that he wins the nomination.  What typically blue state do you think he could somehow surprise and win, either do you favorable demographics or other factors?

I think New Hampshire is the obvious answer, but what others do you think? Or, have the Democrats basically put a lock on so many states, similar to the GOP from '68-'88 that no matter who the nominee, it won't matter?

NH isn't really a sleeper, considering that Romney basically lives there, has been campaigning there constantly, and it isn't *really* that blue of a state. The only one I can really think of is Wisconsin, which bolted hard right in 2010 after a large Obama victory in 2008.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »

There are a few "blue states" (I count these presently as states that have voted for the Democratic nominee at least four times in the last five elections) that are a bit soft right now, I think the most prominent ones, in order of most to least weak for the Democrats, are New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.  Romney polls better in all these states in prospective matchups against Obama than his GOP rivals so far, but we'll see what happens if Gingrich can maintain his current position.  Ultimately, with Romney as the nominee, I think the Democrats are in real danger of losing New Hampshire, but I don't think Wisconsin or Pennsylvania will flip yet.  If Romney is not the nominee, I think Wisconsin and Pennsylvania will be pretty safe for Obama and New Hampshire will be a tossup.  
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »

The thing about Wisconsin, is that the GOP always polls better there than the final results show.  Bush was actually up double digits against Kerry in 2004 in Oct and lost the state.  The 2010 races weren't supposed to be as tight as they ended up.  You also have to think the blue collars up there won't think much of Romney's Wall St connections.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »

NH.  PA.

MI and CT are also all over the place and could use a recent credible poll.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »

Michigan would be the state with the biggest chance of that happening I think.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »

I am 100 percent confident Romney would win all 50 states if he won the nomination. There's no plausible way to prove my theory, however. We'll just have to assume I was right.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

I don't really think New Hampshire is a blue state. It's voted for whoever won the Presidential election overall every time except once in the past eight elections and always swings wildly one way or the other during wave elections.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »

MI, WI, PA
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »

MI, WI, and PA are already swing states, and Michigan is one of his home states. Romney isn't a strong candidate with the blue collar (and Walker and Kasich haven't helped Midwest Republicans); a victory in Pennsylvania, for instance, would come from taking the Philly suburbs. If Romney focuses on appealing to those wealthy suburbanites, then Connecticut and New Jersey are in the cards in a particularly bad year for the Democrats. If it's even worse, Romney will focus less on Ohio and Florida and more on California and New York.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »

I'd consider a blue state as one that voted for Gore and never voted for GWB.

I think Romney would certainly bring Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania into play. Democrats may also have to spend some resources to keep Minnesota.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

If Romney focuses on appealing to those wealthy suburbanites, then Connecticut and New Jersey are in the cards in a particularly bad year for the Democrats. If it's even worse, Romney will focus less on Ohio and Florida and more on California and New York.

I'd be cautious about overrating this kind of effect, but it will be interesting to see if nominating a candidate like Romney, who is very different in some ways from any recent Republican nominee, has any effect on what has become a relatively fixed electoral map.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies