Why do more liberal churches tend to be the most ritual-driven and traditional?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Why do more liberal churches tend to be the most ritual-driven and traditional?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do more liberal churches tend to be the most ritual-driven and traditional?  (Read 3561 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »

I don't need to hear from somebody who can't tell the difference between actual gay relationships and sexually promiscuous idolatry

oh, sorry, I must have missed the biblical exclusions for "actual gay relationships".  If you would kindly direct me to the chapter and verse I'm sure you and I will quickly put the issue to bed (pun intended)

---

I use 'song and dance' because the world is song and dance. It's an exuberant and whirling dance-play made for the glory of the Lord...

if you haven't noticed from scripture, God doesn't like song and dance excuses for not following his word.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2011, 02:59:32 PM by Nathan »

I don't need to hear from somebody who can't tell the difference between actual gay relationships and sexually promiscuous idolatry

oh, sorry, I must have missed the biblical exclusions for "actual gay relationships".  If you would kindly direct me to the chapter and verse I'm sure you and I will quickly put the issue to bed (pun intended)

Zenbu Sekai.

There are examples but you'd find a way to explain them away or categorize them as something else.

How many times must I tell you that my interest isn't in sex acts? There are gay relationships that don't involve sex acts of any kind. What if any opinion do you have on those?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

if you haven't noticed from scripture, God doesn't like song and dance excuses for not following his word.
[/quote]

Good thing that's not become relevant in my life, then.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2011, 04:38:52 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

Larry and Sergey have no idea what you're talking about.

---

There are examples but you'd find a way to explain them away or categorize them as something else.

such as...

---

How many times must I tell you that my interest isn't in sex acts? There are gay relationships that don't involve sex acts of any kind. What if any opinion do you have on those?

homosexuals – sexual = homos

…they're still gay
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2011, 08:13:26 PM by Nathan »

It means 'the whole world', as in 'yes, I certainly believe that rather than just taking the world as what it is we should strive to transfigure and redeem it, but I've known gay couples who are a lot more transfigured and redeemed relative to the stuff that went down between people of the same sex back in the day than some straight couples I could mention relative to other bans.'

such as...[/quote]

'Homosexual' may not be the word we're looking for here, mainly because of the second part*, but it's relationships like David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, or that one centurion and his pais that I'm referring to. Romantic friendship, if you have any interest in it (I doubt so, but one never knows) is a fascinating concept, arguably a lot healthier than most modern sexual relationship scripts, gay or otherwise.

homosexuals – sexual = homos

…they're still gay

[/quote]

If they're not having sex? Well, yes, they're still gay, but they'd also be gay if they were married to and having sex with people of other genders so I honestly don't see what the problem is even if one takes into account the simultaneously literal and broad (as opposed to literal and narrow, or figurative and broad; I can't think of any figurative and narrow reading that I've ever heard of) reading of the verses we're arguing about.

*The concept that I'm referring to is more like romantic friendship; I don't actually think that's the acceptable ne plus ultra of relations between members of the same gender necessarily, but I'm willing to concede to your reading of the parts of the NT at issue merely for purposes of this conversation as long as we're clear that that's what I'm doing at this stage
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies