Non-Partisan League (Caucus) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Non-Partisan League (Caucus) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Non-Partisan League (Caucus)  (Read 7845 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:26 PM »

Hello!

The Non-Partisan League (to function as a caucus) is here to serve as a group for moderate/reformist/independent-minded members of the RPP. The goal of this group is to hold our elected representatives to a high standard and focus on electing reasonable, sensible voices to government.

What moderates are in the RPP need a place to not feel lonely!

It's my hope that the Non-Partisan League label can serve as a signifier that our members are above voting party line on everything, and care for shaking things in the game up.

Let's see how it goes.

(I see no rule mandating a caucus actually has to include the term "caucus" in our name. Tongue And for the record here, this caucus is to be affiliated with the RPP, but can include unofficial "observer status" members as well.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »

Yay!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »

how can you be non-partisan if you must be a member of a party to join? Tongue

It's an attitude thing. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »

Is that not the ND third party that merged with the Democrats?

If so, then ask Kent Conrad or any ND Democrat the same question.

It was never really so much of a party as an outside advocacy group that sponsored certain politicians of both parties. Eventually as time went on, they did merge with the Democrats, but that wasn't how they started.

Today's history lesson!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »

Is that not the ND third party that merged with the Democrats?

If so, then ask Kent Conrad or any ND Democrat the same question.

It was never really so much of a party as an outside advocacy group that sponsored certain politicians of both parties. Eventually as time went on, they did merge with the Democrats, but that wasn't how they started.

Today's history lesson!
Yes.  So any elected North Dakota Democrat carries the tag "Dem-NPL"

If I am not mistaken, the NPL was a faction of the Republicans (or at least was the liberal wing in ND) before joining the Democrats.

That being said, I formally join.

x Junkie

Can our nickname be the mugwumps (my favorite historical reference)

Whatever you like Junkie. Tongue

We are now an "established" caucus!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Just as a note, I encourage all our pledged members to register in the registration thread as members of the Non-Partisan League in addition to the RPP, just to be super duper clear for everyone involved. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »

Of course if the Senate is unwilling to consider Yelnoc's proposal or it does not have enough votes to pass, we could try using the National Initiative Ammendment once it passes (which it seems like to do). This may be a circumstance where the Senate's political will and the political will of the public at large are not the same.

That is an absolutely grand idea, TJ. I think the public would be on our side of this, since the Senate can't seem to let anything passed without making one part of it weirdly flawed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »

If we do not progress here soon in an election for Chair, or structural development, I shall assume leadership by force Wink

We can certain proceed on these matters once the election is over. Tongue

What kind of RPP member is to the left of most JCP-ers?

Officially, the RPP is a non-ideological party. Of course, in practice, most of our members fall to the right, but the RPP is a party primarily about regions, and more recently, about trying to reform the current system. I joined on that basis. They've made me feel at home. They would make you and other lefties feel at home too. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »

Home life has been disasteriffic in the last few days, and the holidays haven't helped much, so I apologize for only being around a couple of times in the last week or so. It's sucked.

Never the less, things are mostly fine now, and though Christmas Eve and Christmas day may take my attention a bit, we can actually take care of this leadership kerfuffle.

I will assume the role of interim chair, if Teddy doesn't mind this.. Tongue, and we can handle the leadership issue for realsies. Having a vote at this time, though, wouldn't get us anywhere, as long as people are busy with Christmas. We'll kick this off in earnest with a vote closer to the New Year.

(Out of respect for people who, like myself, have been and will be similarly busy. I know some of us are more hardcore with Atlasia, but some of our members would probably enjoy having their holidays in peace without annoying reminders of a caucus vote!)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »

I'll open a voting booth and PM all members of the NPL tomorrow, January 4th. So far, Teddy and I are the only contenders for the Chairmanship. If anyone wishes to run, say so before tomorrow evening.

Once a chairman is decided, we'll come up with some general guiding principles. After that, I'm sure the next Presidential race will begin taking shape and there will be plenty of room for our commentary.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »

Sure, why not! I don't think anyone here would speak against it. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »

Sure, why not! I don't think anyone here would speak against it. Smiley

He has to register with the caucus first..

Ah, right, his typo. Fix that first, Yelnoc, you scumbag!!

(Also voting is now open Tongue: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=146450.0 )
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

You seriously thought I meant that?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »

With 9 votes for me and one vote for "The Interim chair is running for full-time chair?" (Thanks, Teddy Tongue) I'm officially elected the Chairman of the Non-Partisan League.

Do people actually want to deal with the name, first? Since plenty of people have complained about it, I'm open to changing it to something else, provided that it's a decent name.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »

Pretty sure this was mentioned a while back, and it brought back memories of a certain former poster IIRC.
What?

One of Hamilton's early ventures in Atlasia was the "Atlasian Reform Coalition." It eventually evolved into the Populares.

I'm not opposed to the name, though, if others like it enough.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »

Pretty sure this was mentioned a while back, and it brought back memories of a certain former poster IIRC.
What?

One of Hamilton's early ventures in Atlasia was the "Atlasian Reform Coalition." It eventually evolved into the Populares.

I'm not opposed to the name, though, if others like it enough.
A lot, if not most of us joined after Hamilton.  Can we not just move on?

"Reform Caucus" sounds too... boring. What about the "Non-Partisan Alliance for Reform" (NPAR); it could be called the Non-Partisan Alliance or the Alliance for Reform for short. Or does that sound too much like the current name?
I like the idea of dropping Caucus/Party from the name.  Perhaps the "Movement for Atlas Reform" (MAR) ?

How about: The Movement for Atlasian Reform and Ostensible Keeping of Atlasian Identity Caucus?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »

I don't intend to try and maintain the Non-Partisan League as a single partisan identity after dissolution, but I would encourage everyone to not try and consolidate into a single party after so much work was put into fighting for dissolution of our behemoth parties in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies