Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:09:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
Catholic

Lutheran

Methodist

Presbyterian

Anglican/Episcopal

Congregational/United Church of Christ

Baptist

Reformed

Restorationist

Assembly of God

Pentecostal

Charismatic

Other Evangelical

Emergent

Seventh-day Adventist

Orthodox

Mormon

Jehova's Witness

Christian Science

Unity

Unitarian

Reformed Jewish

Conservative Jewish

Orthodox Jewish

Sunni Islam

Shia Islam

Buddhist

Hindu

Bahai

Sikh

Other (specify)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?  (Read 9184 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »

And what do we call a Church of South India member performing a pooja at an ostensibly Hindu temple?

A Priest?
No. (Hmmm... apparently it's not called a pooja if it looks like rather like a home pooja, is performed at a temple, but not by a priest? At least, this wiki description makes it sound such. So, whatever.)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tamil of course. Never heard of Goan or Tulu or Malayali Christians going for this syncretist stuff.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »

I don't find BushOklahoma being a fan of a conservative Baptist surprising at all...

Yeah he's conservative (theologically), and a Baptist, but Piper is a little more intellectual and theological than I would have imagined BushOK would be into; he's essentially a Charismatic Presbyterian who baptizes adults. He's hardly the typical SBC megachurch guy (he's not even SBC)...

One thing you should know about me, while I am a Southern Baptist, I am a Christian first.  I can worship with anybody so long as they believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that He rose again and lives today.  The other items are just "stuff".  Plus, I am a little more liberal than a lot of Southern Baptists.  For instance, I am in favor of civil unions and not 100% opposed to gay marriage.  Plus, I voted for President Obama and actually respect Nancy Pelosi which is almost a no-no in Southern Baptist circles, especially in red-state Oklahoma.  My theology is also just a little different.  I believe in the election of the saints as described in Romans 8.  I am quasi-Calvinist.  I am not fully Calvinist (complete predestination) and I am not fully Armenianist (complete free-will).  I am what you would call a "graceman" where I have tendencies on both sides and believe everything that is done in our lives is a reflection of grace, and I do subscribe to the "TULIP" doctrine, even though it's not 100% Biblical.  That's kind of where John Piper comes in.  I agree with his theology most of the time.  At my church, my pastor, who is also my cousin, takes everything in the Bible at face value, and believes whatever it says and believes it happened exactly how it was written.  He likes to go back to the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to get the true meaning of Scripture.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »

Baptist, Methodist, and other (Non-Denominational)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2011, 12:00:48 AM by Songs to Fan the Flames of the Discontent »

Charismatic (IHOP, Jesus Culture and friends from Chicago account here)

You know, after looking up a few Jesus Culture songs that have been covered by my church's worship band, I've decided that obviously some in their band must like real emo and post-hardcore. This song for example (which is actually really good) has a dynamic and length that was used all the time by 90s emo bands, that's basically where the "slow part in the middle and lots of build-up to the end" thing came from, it was a textbook trait of 90s emo. That might part of why their music is much better than most Christian rock, which is overwhelmingly crap (of course I know for a fact thankfully that people in my church's worship band like good music, some of them wear good bands' shirts and I even ran into one at an Explosions in the Sky show. They even once covered a hymn making it sound like Pavement!)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 03:21:42 AM »

You should've heard some of the stuff we were doing back in the mid-late 90's it ran the gamut from Dylanesque folk-rock to what the Vineyard was sending out (I was into the Vineyard style an this is where Lifehouse got started) to southern blues/soul style that came out of the Brownsville revival.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:25 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2011, 03:34:03 AM by The Great and the Alleged Great »

Ugh, Lifehouse. No interest in hearing anything like that. But that's not what my Vineyard church is about as noted, more like often post-rock influenced indie rock and post-hardcore. I do wish church bands would cover Mineral songs though, TheLastWordIsRejoice even sound-wise is pretty hand-raising-esque.

I most certainly wouldn't be going to church regularly if all the ones near me played only really boring traditional church music or that awful typical Christian rock.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies