Alberta 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta 2012  (Read 88647 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »

Elijah.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:00:31 AM »

Someone commented on my blog saying they werent going to vote WRP because Smith doesnt have children.
Lol. Sounds thirdworldy Christian to me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »

Someone commented on my blog saying they werent going to vote WRP because Smith doesnt have children.
Lol. Sounds thirdworldy Christian to me.

The number of people who would base their decision on that would have to be less than half a percent. Sounds like a partisan hack to me, trying to make an issue of it.
It's still telling that someone would think this a worthwhile avenue to pursue in Canada. Even as a long shot.
Now if she were four times divorced... like certain German politicians who did get a wee bit of bad press over it[/i]... sure. That could be a salient character issue anywhere in Teh Westrn World.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:06 AM »

Calgary is like one big suburb. There are a few areas that are more left leaning, but they will be drowned in roses.
What's with the Liberal strength in the city's northeast? Not where you'd expect it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »

So I guess the complete lack of red in the city centre is the only genuinely surprising bit. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

This election is probably somewhat hard to poll as it's a new alignment. I wouldn't read anything into minor swings.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »

So Wildrose is the South Alberta Party.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

WRP did badly in seats for losing by "only" ten points. How many FPP elections won by similar margins have resulted in such lopsided numbers? Conversely, the Liberals and NDP did pretty well for parties that won less than 10% of the vote. Just look at Calgary and Edmonton - the WRP beat the Liberals in both cities (by a significant margin in the former), but still won less seats.

The only comparison I can think of recently would be Manitoba last year, where the PCs came within 2.5% of the NDP's overall vote share and gained absolutely nothing.
Last Jamaican election comes to mind. Blowout in the results map, semi-close in the vote shares.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 04:17:47 AM »

Texas seems like a fairly reasonable comparison, with Dallas taking the place of Calgary and Houston that of Edmonton.

Why because of the Houston Oilers are the Edmonton Oilers? Heh. Parts of Edmonton are more like Austin, really.

And Calgary is an overgrown Lubbock. (And so are the suburban parts of Edmonton, of course.)

But yeah, Alberta is basically Montana with cities. Heh, maybe East Washington works best as a parallel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies