Bull Moose Goes Down - A TL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:04:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bull Moose Goes Down - A TL
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What do you think about timeline?
Awesome!

Good

Meh

Bad

Awful!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Bull Moose Goes Down - A TL  (Read 12062 times)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »

Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet - there is where the bullet went through - and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best.
- Theodore Roosevelt - October 14, 1912
NEW YORK TIMES: FMR. PRESIDENT SHOT DEAD, NATION IN MOURNING
- Our nation has lost a great man. Patriot, always and everywhere to defend our interests. Family man who loved his family with most beautiful love. Today we mourn  the Theodore Roosevelt - a friend of all Americans ....
President William Howard Taft on Roosevelt's funeral
- Ladies and Gentelmen! We will  always remember Theodore Roosevelt's like this - a desperate fighter for the freedom of America and Americans, desperate fighter for their happiness, desperate fighter for us and our children ..
But now, I should make a statement. As new leader of Progressive Party, I urge all supporters of the late President Roosevelt to vote on the November 5th for President William Howard Taft.
- Sen. Hiram Johnson, October 23, 1912
On the November 5th, Americans made ​​their choice. Many of them did not vote for Taft, but voted in memory of Teddy ..

President William Howard Taft (R-OH)/President of Columbia University Nicholas Murray Butler (R-NJ) 371 EV, 50.6% PV
Gov. Woodrow WIlson (D-NJ)/Gov. Thomas Marshall (D-IN) 160 EV, 41.8% PV
Eugene V. Debs (S-IN)/Mayor Emil Seidel (S-WI) 0 EV, 6% PV
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »

Please continue. Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »

Second Term of William Howard Taft

Taft's cabinet pretty much changed in his second term. Shortly after his re-election he pledged that many TR progressive supporters would get a position.
Secretary of State: Henry C. Lodge
Secretary of War: Leonard Wood
Secretary of Treasury: Albert B. Cummins
Attorney General: Charles Evans Hughes
Secretary of Commerce: Henry Ford
Secretary of the Navy: Robert T. Lincoln
Secretary of Labor: Franklin D. Roosevelt

FDR appointment was one of the most exciting events in a Cabinet history. Almost an unknown relative of Teddy got pushed to a high cabinet post.

"It was an a kick upstairs, which would not have happened if not a tragedy" -    "Roosevelts"  - Patrick J. Buchanan, 2008
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »

Yes! Lodge, Wood, Ford, and FDR all in the new Taft cabinet! Cheesy

Hmmm... As I've said before in a different thread, however, this does seem to strikingly resemble something I've been working on...
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »

Yes. I was a bit inspired by your TL, because is showed me an Ideal TL. I'm trying to write my first TL.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »

Well remember to comment on it the few times I update, & please continue.  Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »

Party Divided
Second term of William Howard Taft is highly regarded by historians, especially by their more conservative side.
Federal Reserve Act was introduced in the House as H.R. 7837 by Carter Glass (D-VA) on August 29, 1913.
The plan adopted in the original Federal Reserve Act called for the creation of a System that contained both private and public entities. There were to be at least eight, and no more than 12, private regional Federal reserve banks (12 were established) each with its own branches, board of directors and district boundaries (Sections 2, 3, and 4) and the System was to be headed by a seven member Federal Reserve Board made up of public officials appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate (strengthened and renamed in 1935 as the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System with the Secretary of the Treasury and the Comptroller of the Currency dropped from the Board - Section 10). Also created as part of the Federal Reserve System was a 12 member Federal Advisory Committee (Section 12) and a single new United States currency, the Federal Reserve Note (Section 16).
  Foreign policy.
 Victoriano "El Jackal" Huerte seized power in Mexico.
As soon as the Taft learned about this, he immediately sent a telegram to Pershing:
 1) After one week after this telegram, take the Chihuahua
 2) After three weeks to completely subjugate the territory of the state of Tamaulipas, Cowan and Nuevo Leon
 3) a month to take Sonora and Baja California
Taft
This was the last straw. Senators Johnson, Borah and LaFolette bolted from GOP to form the Progressive Party.
In solidarity with them, Ford, Wood and Roosevelt had left the cabinet. Most of anti-war Republicans also left the party.

"Taft did then the only correct step - left Republicans gathered and decided to regroup with them. And so was born the Conservative Party." - Ann Coulter, "Party of the Blood and Steel", 2011
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »

Presidential Election of 1916
                                                    Conservative Nomination and canidates

Many predicted that convetion would be brokered and somebody moderate would be nominated. But Weeks easily won the nomination after three ballots.
Sen. John Weeks (MA)       
Former Vice-President Charles W. Fairbanks (IN)
Secretary of State Henry Cabot Lodge (MA)
Sen. Warren Harding (OH)
Fmr. Sen. Elihu Root (NY)
Balloting:  1    2     3
Weeks  355  428  952
Root     184  154  28
Fairbanks 111 104 16
Lodge     32     37   23
Harding  3       1      4
Weeks was nominated for President and Fairbanks for Vice-President.
                              Progressive Nomination and Canidates
Attorney General Charles Evans Hughes (NY) - 950
Secretary of Commerce Henry Ford (MI) - 51
Sen. Robert LaFolette (WI) - 39
Secretary of War Leonard Wood (NH) - 4
Sen. William Borah (ID) - 2
Hughes won it with a big margin, but it  angered the rest of the delegates, who called him a "progressive-in-a-name-only" and started to crush everything in a convention hall. Re-vote had been held, and "Fighting Bob" was nominated. Hiram Johnson was nominated for vice-president.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

Democratic Nomination
1912 nominee Woodrow Wilson  was nominated without any opposition.
General Election
It was the first presidential race after a split in the Republican camp. Many voters were extremely embarrassed.
But Progressives won, and won big.

Senator Robert LaFolette (P-WI)/Senator Hiram Johnson (P-CA) 56.1% PV, 298 EV
Fmr. Gov. Woodrow Wilson (D-NJ)/Gov. John Morehead (D-NE) 30.6% PV, 163 EV
Sen. John Weeks (C-MA)/Sen. Warren Harding (C-OH) 13.1% PV, 70 EV
Others - 0.2% PV

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »

Uh, so FDR was appointed as Secretary of Labor in 1912? He was a State Senator from NY, elected in 1910...and in 1912 he was still a State Senator...how did Taft find him?
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »

First Term of President Robert LaFolette                                                    
Secretary of State: Henry C. Lodge
Secretary of War: Leonard Wood
Secretary of Treasury: Nelson W. Aldrich
Attorney General: Charles Evans Hughes
Secretary of Commerce: Henry Ford
Secretary of the Navy: Robert T. Lincoln
Secretary of Labor: Eben S. Draper
Secretary of the Interior: Jane Addams
Postmaster General: Franklin D. Roosevelt

Presidency of first Progressive President was struck by WWI. LaFolette was aganist war, and every cat and dog and even hamster knew it.
Conversation at the White House:
Wood:  We need to intervene immediately, otherwise the hungry octopus Kaiser imperialism entangled the whole of Europe with its tentacles!
President: The Monroe Doctrine. It tells you about something, Wood?
 W: That tells me only this is time for a new doctrine. The Germans have tried to plunge a knife into our backs. Or are you already forgotten about their puppet  under our hand side?
 P: And yet ...
 W: Either we sit back and look at the excesses of the Prussians, or we stop them and save the freedom of Europe!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

1920 Presidential Election
Conservative Nomination

Candidates:
Gov. Calvin Coolidge (MA)
Fmr. Vice-President Nicholas Murray Butler (NJ)
Ambassador John W. Davis (WV)
Sen. Warren G. Harding (OH)
Nomination was a real tossup. But Coolidge made it on a first ballot.
Harding - 65.5 votes
Coolidge - 321.5
Butler - 200
Davis - 30 votes
Democratic Nomination
Two governors were nominated: James Cox of Ohio and Al Smith of New York.
General Election
While early polls showed a landslide for incubment LaFolette, Coolidge got a boost due to anti-war trends.

Gov. Calvin Coolidge (C-MA)/Sen. Asle Gronna (C-ND) 287 EV, 54% PV
President Robert LaFolette (P-WI)/Vice-President Hiram Johnson (P-CA) 174 EV, 32.7% PV
Gov. James Cox (D-OH)/Gov. Al Smith (D-NY) 70 EV, 13.1% PV
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »

First Term of Calvin Coolidge

Secretary of State: Charles Evans Hughes
Secretary of Treasury: Charles Dawes
Secretary of War: John Weeks
Attorney General: Harlan Fiske Stone
Postmaster General: Will Hays
Secretary of Navy: Theodore Roosevelt Jr.
Secretary of the Interior: William Sproul
Secretary of Agriculture: Henry C. Wallace
Secretary of Commerce: Herbert Hoover
Secretary of Labor: James J. Davis

First term of Calvin Coolidge was noticed for economic boom and the progress on the issues related to the rights of Indians.
"And so, my dear reader, one of the main foundations of American prosperity had been formed : government non-interference in the economy"
"A Brief History Of Modern America" - 43rd President of the United States Ronald E. Paul , 2016
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »

No comments at all?
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2012, 04:24:29 AM by Pingvin - Interim NCP Leader »

1924 Presidential Election
Progressive Nomination
Former President LaFolette won a close race aganist former running-mate Hiram Johnson, Fmr. Postmaster General FDR, Montana Senator Burton K. Wheeler and Nebraska Governor Charles W. Bryan. Wheeler was selected as running-mate.
Democratic Nomination
1920 Vice-Presidential candidate Al Smith of New York was nominated for President and Maryland Governor Albert Ritchie was nominated for Vice-President.
Conservative Nomination
Coolidge was re-nominated without opposition. Secretary of Treasury Charles Dawes was nominated for Vice-President. He replaced Asle Gronna, who passed away in 1922.
General Election
With the economy booming, there was little doubt that Coolidge would lose the election. His campaign slogan, "Keep Cool with Coolidge", was highly popular. Smith carried only the traditionally Democratic Solid South. The Conservatives did so well that they carried New York City, a feat they have not repeated since then.

President Calvin Coolidge (C-MA)/Secretary of Treasury Charles Dawes (C-IL) 283 EV, 54% PV

Fmr. President Robert LaFolette (P-WI)/Sen. Burton K. Wheeler (P-MT) 184 EV, 34.6% PV
Gov. Al Smith (D-NY)/Gov. Albert Ritchie (D-MD) 64 EV, 11.9% PV
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2012, 10:49:14 AM by Pingvin - Interim NCP Leader »

Second Term Of Calvin Coolidge
Foreign Policy
Although not an isolationist, Coolidge was reluctant to enter into foreign alliances. Coolidge saw the Conservative victory of 1920 as a rejection of the progressive idea that the United States should join the League of Nations.  While not completely opposed to the idea, Coolidge believed the League, as then constituted, did not serve American interests, and he did not advocate membership in it. He spoke in favor of the United States joining the Permanent Court of International Justice, provided that the nation would not be bound by advisory decisions.  The Senate eventually approved joining the Court (with reservations) in 1926.  The League of Nations accepted the reservations, but suggested some modifications of their own.  The Senate failed to act; the United States never joined the World Court.
Coolidge's best-known initiative was the Hughes-Briand Pact of 1928, named for Coolidge's Secretary of State, Charles Evans Hughes, and French foreign minister Aristide Briand. The treaty, ratified in 1929, committed signatories including the U.S., the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan to "renounce war, as an instrument of national policy in their relations with one another." The treaty did not achieve its intended result – the outlawry of war – but did provide the founding principle for international law after WWII.

Coolidge continued the previous administration's policy not to recognize the Soviet Union.  He also continued the United States' support for the elected government of Mexico against the rebels there, lifting the arms embargo on that country.  He sent his close friend Dwight Morrow to Mexico as the American ambassador.  Coolidge represented the U.S. at the Pan American Conference in Havana, Cuba, making him the only sitting U.S. President to visit the country. The United States' occupation of Nicaragua and Haiti continued under his administration, but Coolidge withdrew American troops from the Dominican Republic in 1924.

Cabinet Adjustments
Due to appointment to SCOTUS, Harlan Fiske Stone left his Attorney General position and was replaced by Mayor of Chichago John Payne.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 04:38:05 AM »

Presidential Election of 1928
Progressive Nomination
Main frontrunners:
Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover
Fmr. Secretary of State Charles Evans Hughes
Senator William Borah
Hoover won nomination after first three ballots. Governor of Wisconsin Herman Ekern was selected as running-mate.
Democratic Nomination
Surprusingly, white supermacist Thedore Bilbo won the nomination. It only accelerated the exodus of Democratic voters.
"Bilbo's nomination became a point of no return. Who knows, if he hadn't been nominated, the Democrats would remain the major party  ..." - Zell Miller, "EPIC FAIL: How Racists and Rascals Destroyed Democratic Party", 2002
Conservative Nomination
Vice-President Charles Dawes ran un-opposed. Some Southern Conservatives tried to put Rep. Cordell Hull on the ticket, but he had refused.  Charles Curtis was selected as running-mate for Dawes.
General Election
Bilbo lost several states that had been members of the Solid South since Reconstruction.  However, in many southern states with sizable African American populations (and where the vast majority of African Americans could not vote at the time), many believed that Hoover supported integration, or at least was not committed to maintaining segregation, which in turn overcame opposition to Smith's campaign. During the race, Mississippi Governor Theodore G. Bilbo claimed that Hoover had met with a black member of the Progressive National Committee and danced with her; Hoover's campaign quickly denied the "untruthful and ignoble assertion".
No one recieved an electoral majority. In House Progs and Dems united, so Hoover won the election for President. But surprusingly, Senate selected Charles Curtis as Vice-President.

Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover (P-CA)/Gov. Herman Ekern (P-WI) 223 EV, 41.9% PV[/color]
Vice-President Charles Dawes (C-IL)/Senate Majority Leader Charles Curtis (C-KS) 265 EV, 49.9% PV
Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS)/Sen. Alben Barkley (D-KY) 43 EV, 8% PV

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »

I'm enjoying this but I'd like to see some more detail regarding the actual administrations.  All in all, it's a great TL though Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »

Will Hoover be governing more as a moderate as opposed to the LaFollette years?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

I think Dems and Conservatives will unite and Hoover will be forced to govern from the center
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »

I think Dems and Conservatives will unite and Hoover will be forced to govern from the center

Well, IMO, he wouldn't be a straight up Prog in the first place. Business friendly, but also very much in support of publilc works programs, and on social issues, he'd probably be pro-civil rights and in support of prohibition (whatever became of that?). Placing Hoover ideologically is a difficult task. Someone said "He was a Progressive in Harding and Coolidge's time, a moderate in his own time, and a Conservative in FDR's time", showing how much the world changed around him. In 1920 he was a Progressive Republican businessman but in 1940 he was one of the leaders of the Conservatives in his party.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

Well, IMO, he wouldn't be a straight up Prog in the first place. Business friendly, but also very much in support of publilc works programs, and on social issues, he'd probably be pro-civil rights and in support of prohibition (whatever became of that?). Placing Hoover ideologically is a difficult task. Someone said "He was a Progressive in Harding and Coolidge's time, a moderate in his own time, and a Conservative in FDR's time", showing how much the world changed around him. In 1920 he was a Progressive Republican businessman but in 1940 he was one of the leaders of the Conservatives in his party.

Yes because of the New Deal he was a conservative in comparison.  He ran in the south as a pro-prohibition guy, and it's his fault that the GOP lost the black vote: they were mad when he was ca,painting on states rights in 28, and since then a Republican has never won a majority of the African-American vote, and also, he was a turncoat on prohibition to get the north back into his column in 1932, and the chairman of the Proh. Party called him "The greatest turncoat since Benedict Arnold" because of his flip flop
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2012, 08:40:51 AM by Iron Maiden Conservative »

First Term of Herbert Hoover

Secretary of State: Frank Kellogg
Secretary of the Treasury: Frank Lowden
Secretary of War: Dwight Morrow
Attorney General: Charles Curtis*
Postmaster General: Jim Farley
Secretary of the Navy: James Phelan
Secretary of the Interior: Reed Smoot
Secretary of Agriculture: Cordell Hull
Secretary of Commerce: Jesse Jones
Secretary of Labor: Joe Kennedy

Hoover's cabinet was basically build by Democratic-Conservative Coalition that dictated him and observed his every step.
Hoover entered office with a plan to reform the nation's regulatory system, believing that a federal bureaucracy should have limited regulation over a country's economic system.  A self-described progressive and reformer, Hoover saw the presidency as a vehicle for improving the conditions of all Americans by encouraging public-private cooperation—what he termed "volunterism". Hoover saw volunterism as preferable to governmental coercion or intervention which he saw as opposed to the American ideals of individualism and self-reliance. Long before he had entered politics, he had denounced laissez-faire thinking.

Hoover expanded civil service coverage of Federal positions, canceled private oil leases on government lands, and by instructing the Justice Department and the Internal Revenue Service to pursue gangsters for tax evasion, he enabled the prosecution of Al Capone. He appointed a commission that set aside 3 million acres (12,000 km²) of national parks and 2.3 million acres (9,000 km²) of national forests; lowered taxes for low-income Americans; closed certain tax loopholes for the wealthy; doubled the number of veterans' hospital facilities; signed a treaty on St. Lawrence Seaway; wrote a Children's Charter that advocated protection of every child regardless of race or gender; created an antitrust division in the Justice Department; required air mail carriers to adopt stricter safety measures and improve service; imposed federal loans for urban slum clearances ; organized the Federal Bureau of Prisons; reorganized the Bureau of Indian Affairs; instituted prison reform; created a federal Department of Education ; created $50-per-month pensions for Americans over 65; chaired White House conferences on child health, protection, homebuilding and home-ownership; began construction of the Boulder Dam (later renamed Hoover Dam); and signed the Norris – La Guardia Act that limited judicial intervention in labor disputes.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

Great so far, Iron!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »

Don't worry, I'll update soon.