SENATE BILL: Regional Legislative Petitions Act (law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:32:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Regional Legislative Petitions Act (law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Regional Legislative Petitions Act (law'd)  (Read 5912 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 11:59:16 PM »

Well, "quantity" certainly isn't the best measure...But if we are measuring quantity, then you cannot only include passed legislation. You must add in rejected legislation as well, IMO.

For example:
44th Senate: 16 passed, 5 rejected = 21
45th Senate: 19 passed, 6 rejected = 25
46th Senate: 9 passed, 6 rejected = 15

We're on track to get to the 20-25 range again for the 46th Senate. But if we're measuring it solely by passed legislation, then we'll fall short of the previous two Senates. The 43rd, for the record, had 10 passed and 3 rejected.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:07 AM »

Veto this if you want to, Snowguy. But it's goddamn petty of you to do so for a bill that is so uncontroversial and so peripheral and so optional. The way which you and Napoleon treat these things with such a fire and brimstone attitude is a hilarious overreaction.

The idea that I'm stubborn to changes on my bills is also objectively untrue. It is a lie. It is nothing but a lie. Look at everything I've proposed here that we've debated so far. I have compromised and accepted amendments on nearly all of them!

The empowerment Amendment, specifically, was rewritten by Duke and I to suit Napoleon! I offered to accept Bgwah's compromises on that bill. On the shell corporations act, I accepted compromises from Yankee. On the wage bill, that Bgwah wrote, I stood in the way of no amendments to it. On the national initiative system, I accepted Bgwah's compromised terms for getting something on the ballot. The caucus Act that we passed, passed because I accepted Bgwah's revisions. On the ratification regionalization Amendment, I accepted Yankee's amendment to slightly restrict options to the regions, even if I didn't want to do that myself.

When people opposed my ideas, I reached out to them in asking if there was any way I could get their votes. Several times, I would get a response that says "No, under no circumstances will I vote for this." Who, exactly is stubborn here? Perhaps you don't know. Perhaps it's because you don't hang around these parts very much. But spreading obvious, checkable falsehoods is over the line.

I was overwhelmingly supportive of the changes to the amendment that took the Napoleon Report's finding into account.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:02 AM »

Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:13 AM »

The current tally is 6 ayes and 1 nay. JBrase, Duke, and Nathan have yet to vote.

Anyway, this has enough votes to pass, 24 hours to change votes, etc...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:33 AM »

Abstain.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »

Veto this if you want to, Snowguy. But it's goddamn petty of you to do so for a bill that is so uncontroversial and so peripheral and so optional. The way which you and Napoleon treat these things with such a fire and brimstone attitude is a hilarious overreaction.

The idea that I'm stubborn to changes on my bills is also objectively untrue. It is a lie. It is nothing but a lie. Look at everything I've proposed here that we've debated so far. I have compromised and accepted amendments on nearly all of them!

The empowerment Amendment, specifically, was rewritten by Duke and I to suit Napoleon! I offered to accept Bgwah's compromises on that bill. On the shell corporations act, I accepted compromises from Yankee. On the wage bill, that Bgwah wrote, I stood in the way of no amendments to it. On the national initiative system, I accepted Bgwah's compromised terms for getting something on the ballot. The caucus Act that we passed, passed because I accepted Bgwah's revisions. On the ratification regionalization Amendment, I accepted Yankee's amendment to slightly restrict options to the regions, even if I didn't want to do that myself.

When people opposed my ideas, I reached out to them in asking if there was any way I could get their votes. Several times, I would get a response that says "No, under no circumstances will I vote for this." Who, exactly is stubborn here? Perhaps you don't know. Perhaps it's because you don't hang around these parts very much. But spreading obvious, checkable falsehoods is over the line.
Regarding the wage bill, I discussed it with bgwah and mentioned that I wanted a tiered system of overtime pay and an exemption for small businesses.  I didn't think he had introduced the bill yet, so I was a bit flummoxed when Zuwo started asking if people would support the bill.  I was a bit mad at bgwah for jumping the gun before we had it ironed out... so he put the bill on the floor using his legislative slot so we could get it amended.  As I can't amend the bill myself, Bgwah did it for me.

If you're so eager to please everybody and get your bills passed, then I suggest you propose amendments to your healthcare cost reduction bill so it doesn't conflict with current law... and that you re-write the postal reform bill.. since you're so quick to accuse me of vetoing it so I could rewrite it and take credit for "reform".

I couldn't even mention the problems with your healthcare cost reduction bill without you having to throw in some big long spiel that basically had you huffing and wagging your finger and lauding yourself for actually having the fortitude to even discuss cost reductions...

Then you fire back at me with what is a rich example of excessive hyperbole.. and accuse me, again, of being inactive in your usual disguised, off hand, bitchy little way.  It's incredibly tiring.  But go ahead.. keep firing until you self-destruct.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »

Snowguy, if you really want to start more active period of your, until now pretty unimpressive, presidency by vetoing a harmless but potentially useful bill and facing quite possible overturn, be our guest. I think you are wasting your political capital that can be used in better way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »

Snowguy, if you really want to start more active period of your, until now pretty unimpressive, presidency by vetoing a harmless but potentially useful bill and facing quite possible overturn, be our guest. I think you are wasting your political capital that can be used in better way.

Defending Ben's lack of activity while trying to smear the President with such claims? Why, Kal?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

Aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:50 PM »

I guess my only qualm about the reasoning behind vetoing this bill is it makes no sense. First, we have a lot of legislation pass through here, a lot of it is worthless or wastes time. Yet, we vote and debate on it anyway. Usually the most useless ones are tossed away or tabled. We usually do a good job with that! Second is the presidents argument on how this is simply mindless reform. Look, I have been an opponent of mindless reform for a long time. Just check my record. Mindless reform is changing something that seems to work as intended to be something completely new (ie the VP becoming a cabinet member, make policy, etc...). This bill is not mindless reform. It is something that will provide a tool for new legislative ideas that can or cannot be utilized. No one is going to force anyone to use it, but it is an option. It's not breaking anything that is working. It is providing choice, which I love. I really hope the president reconsiders or the senate can override the veto because there is really nothing in this bill that should warrant a veto.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

Defending Ben's lack of activity while trying to smear the President with such claims? Why, Kal?

Wow, we are using big words again.

The Presidency is little more important than SoEA. Until recently, all Snowguy was doing was just signing and vetoing bills. Presidency is about something more.

And it's not a smear. I understand each presidency needs some time to really start. I was a part of three diffrent administrations and I know how it works. And I'm glad he now got involved directly in debate, as much as I may disagree. And I hope it'll stay this way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

The Presidency is little more important than SoEA. Until recently, all Snowguy was doing was just signing and vetoing bills. Presidency is about something more.

And it's not a smear. I understand each presidency needs some time to really start. I was a part of three diffrent administrations and I know how it works. And I'm glad he now got involved directly in debate, as much as I may disagree. And I hope it'll stay this way.

He has been involved in the Senate's work. Only the right wing talking points suggest otherwise.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

He has been involved in the Senate's work. Only the right wing talking points suggest otherwise.

So now I'm right wing. Nice to learn new things.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

Yeah, because your time in the senate has been super impressive...

Living wage law:  You had nothing to say except to vote on the amendment and vote for passage of the bill.  I had plenty to say on that bill, making my case to the senate to lower the age from 21 to 18.  I made my position clear soon after the bill was introduced.

Your key piece of legislation in the senate thus far?

National ilikeverin day.  Enough said about that.

Caucus infrastructure bill:  You had about 4 or 5 sentences in the whole 9 page debate... and one of your posts was simply telling Marokai and Napoleon to shut up.  I only made one post in that thread, saying I supported the idea of caucuses but saying they shouldn't have any legal authority (as in, are not official parties).

Regional Ratification amendment:  You had a few decent posts in there.  I'll give you that one.  It's an amendment.. so I had no say in the matter whatsoever.

Another hallmark bill sponsored by Kalwejt:  Bringing back the death penalty for people who spell words backwards!  The bill was quickly tabled.

Postal reform bill:  You had nothing to say in the debate.  You didn't even vote on the bill.  I didn't say anything in the bill because I planned to support it.  Then after the final vote had begun, Shua came with information showing that the current language wasn't sufficient.. so I vetoed the bill.  Since then, nothing has happened with that bill.  The original sponsors have thrown up their hands and decided not to take it any further, instead wishing the postal service to "just go broke".

Healthcare cost reduction bill:  You've said nothing in the debate on that bill and you've offered no amendments when amendments are clearly needed to make the bill right and effective.  I think I've made my case pretty damn well with that bill.

Bacon Cheeseburger bill:  You've made one comment in that thread about fighting the fast food lobby.  I also posted in that thread.

Empowering regions bill:  You were active in that debate... but you were arguing that it was a waste of time... something you're attacking me on in this thread.

Working hours reduction bill:  You didn't participate in the debate... you simply cast your vote.

You've said nothing in the caucus reform amendment bill.

You've said nothing and haven't voted on the Shell Corporation banning act.

And in this thread, you've made one comment on the bill at hand, and have spent the rest of the time screaming at Napoleon for something unrelated and at me for thinking this bill is pointless busywork.

So, frankly, your time in the senate has been unimpressive.  You haven't actively participated in the debate on a large number of bills and have failed to vote in a couple.

This blatant hypocrisy on your part makes me resent you since you are willing to throw me under the bus by calling me unimpressive and 'inactive', when that has not been the case... all while being fairly inactive yourself.

THe first two weeks of my presidency were inactive.  There was very little to do because bills were not being passed by the senate.  Sure.. I could've issued a round of press releases for you to read.. but I didn't.  And I'll take responsibility for not communicating my agenda or making sure my cabinet are doing their jobs.  But don't expect me to take criticism from you of all people on this subject lying down.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »

You're sure embracing they RPP talking points lately. Hopefully Snowguy's post brings you back down to earth.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »

I demand you all hug and make up. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:59 AM »

You're sure embracing they RPP talking points lately. Hopefully Snowguy's post brings you back down to earth.

Turning this into a right/left thing is ridiculous. Especially the idea that I'm on the right-wing just by virtue of being in the RPP.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »

I demand you all hug and make up. Tongue
I hope we can hug and make up too... but I think what I wrote was fair considering his criticism of me.

Kalwejt has been one of my strongest allies and friends on Atlas and in this game... so his criticism stings all the more... and in this case I felt justified to sting back.  Let's just hope he doesn't go into anaphylactic shock over it (did I take the metaphor too far?)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:21 AM »

Oh, and I"ll sign the Goddamn bill, because I wanna be goddamn done with it.  Goddamn?  Goddamn.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »

With 7 ayes, 1 nay, 1 absention and 1 non-voting, this bill has passed and is now presented to the President for his signature or veto.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:37 AM »

x Snowguy716
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies