Anybody else grown to despise Mittens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:13:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Anybody else grown to despise Mittens?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anybody else grown to despise Mittens?  (Read 3889 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

I've almost forgotten that Romney was even running. It's been pretty obvious for a while that he is going nowhere.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »

I've shifted from Mitt's not a bad guy to why is he even running? Looks too wishy washy and solely out for personal gain.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »

I have no doubt that Mitt is one of the more appealing and qualified of the moderate candidates standing for President. I just don't want to nominate a moderate.

Newt is another qualified moderate candidate. On a personal level, he isn't as likeable as Mitt, but, is stronger rhetorically. "Go get a job right after you take a bath!" was classic! Again, I wish Newt would stop trying to pass himself off as a "conservative."

I always forget that there are people in this world who treat broad descriptors of political ideologies as religions with long and involved creeds that they refuse to explain to anyone.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »

Back in 2008 I thought I was going to like Mitt. I thought he was a moderate technocrat pragmatist. I liked what he did in MA and was open to voting for him, until he became Mitt 2.0 and essentially pretended that Governor Mitt didn't exist. I don't like Mitt 3.0 any better. At this point I really have no idea what the real Mitt is. I wonder if he knows anymore.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »

Mitt is working on his Reagan aura, so of course the government gophers despise him. Imagine how much they'll hate him after eight years of success in the White House.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »

Back in 2008 I thought I was going to like Mitt. I thought he was a moderate technocrat pragmatist. I liked what he did in MA and was open to voting for him, until he became Mitt 2.0 and essentially pretended that Governor Mitt didn't exist.

This. I was definitely drawn to Governor Romney's record and background, but dislike the pandering/flip flopping that has gone on since then. I still like Mitt, but his campaigning for the two presidential runs has taken his stock down a few notches in my book.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »

Back in 2008 I thought I was going to like Mitt. I thought he was a moderate technocrat pragmatist. I liked what he did in MA and was open to voting for him, until he became Mitt 2.0 and essentially pretended that Governor Mitt didn't exist.

This. I was definitely drawn to Governor Romney's record and background, but dislike the pandering/flip flopping that has gone on since then. I still like Mitt, but his campaigning for the two presidential runs has taken his stock down a few notches in my book.

If you look at it objectively, Romney is pretty much following the '76/'80 Reagan playbook to a tee. The difference between then and now is the 24/7 news cycle. Sometimes a guy's gotta say and do certain things to get nominated and elected.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »

Yeah, but the difference is that Reagan didn't at one point consider himself to be a moderate like Romney did. (At least, as far as I know.) He always considered himself a conservative, while Romney changed to one when he started running for President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »

Yeah, but the difference is that Reagan didn't at one point consider himself to be a moderate like Romney did. (At least, as far as I know.) He always considered himself a conservative, while Romney changed to one when he started running for President.

Presumably you're talking about when Reagan was a Republican- he was a New Deal Dem until the early '50s, as we all know.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

Right, I was referring to the changes from when he was Governor of California to when he was running for President.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »

No. After listening to all the other folks in the race, I think Mitt's penchant for changing his minds is nothing. After hearing some of the things Gingrich (fire janitors and hire 9 year olds) and Perry (attack on religion), the hullaballoo over Mitt's bet seems overplayed. He used to be a moderate. Big whoop. He's going to make a fine President.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »

He's a spineless coward. But I was never a big Mitt fan. Except when he signed the health care law in MA.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2011, 11:34:25 AM by Politico »

I am not so sure. If you look at Reagan's position on certain issues within the context of the times (i.e., '60s/'70s), a case could be made that he was on the left on abortion and gay rights during his time as Governor, or at least one could argue that he was further left on those issues than Mitt Romney was in the '90s. And, like somebody else pointed out, Reagan was a New Deal Democrat for a large portion of his adult life. Funny enough, Romney takes flak for being an independent during approximately the same years in his life that Reagan spent being a Democrat (i.e., their 20s/30s/early 40s).

More than anything, it just goes to show you had absurdly partisan both parties have become the past few decades. This hardline case for ideological purity is probably part of the reason why the country's political institutions are so messed up right now.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »

I have no doubt that Mitt is one of the more appealing and qualified of the moderate candidates standing for President. I just don't want to nominate a moderate.

Newt is another qualified moderate candidate. On a personal level, he isn't as likeable as Mitt, but, is stronger rhetorically. "Go get a job right after you take a bath!" was classic! Again, I wish Newt would stop trying to pass himself off as a "conservative."

I always forget that there are people in this world who treat broad descriptors of political ideologies as religions with long and involved creeds that they refuse to explain to anyone.

What was your definition of "extremist" again?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »

What was your definition of "extremist" again?

I don't know the details, but I gather that it includes people who sincerely believe that the Jews are waging a War against Christmas.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies