US with Canadian parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:51:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Canadian parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: US with Canadian parties  (Read 27274 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »

My only concern with Vazdul's map is Somerset going in with the Skylands, though it's still much better than what is actually done in that area in real life.

I'm not too happy about this myself. Ideally, that area would go with Morris County, but that leaves the Skylands riding underpopulated unless it goes into Wayne, and the Bergen County split would suffer as well.

Alternatively, we could split off some of the more westerly parts of Morris County and append them to the Skylands district, like so:

I'm not really sure that that's more desirable, though...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »

Some of my family's in Morristown. From my experience of the area that actually does work better. The area around Lake Hopatcong is definitely Skylands.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »

Some of those variations are, while legal, unnecessarily huge.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:08 AM »

While they weren't big enough for their own districts, I did have to split Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish due to the high population in the area.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

We now have ridings called Delta, Delta--Natchez, and Mississippi Delta. Would it be possible to rename one or more, like to Mouths of the Mississippi perhaps?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 01:38:18 PM by Antonio V »

Here's Wisconsin !

Let's see if I can find the correct names for each district. Wink

Waukesha-West Allis-Franklin
Kenosha-Racine-Jamesville
Milwaukee
Madison-Fort Atkinson-Portage
La Crosse-River Falls-Reedsburg
Sheboyban-Fond Du Lac-Manitowoc-West Bend
Green Bay-Wausau-Marinette
Appleton-Oshkosh-Stevens Point
Eau Claire-Superior-Hudson-Merrill
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »

Actually it isn't; it's not a description that ever appeared until the last boundary review.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 01:26:10 PM by Antonio V »

While they weren't big enough for their own districts, I did have to split Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish due to the high population in the area.

Nothing against your map, but just to give people the choice, I did another Louisiana 8-district map for Hashemite's thread a couple weeks ago.

Your 3rd district is the exact same as my 5th, interestingly. And our 1st one is pretty similar too.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

Nothing against your map, but just to give people the choice, I did another Louisiana 8-district map for Hashemite's thread a couple weeks ago.

Your 3rd district is the exact same as my 5th, interestingly. And our 1st one is pretty similar too.

I don't claim to be an expert on Louisiana, but I prefer Antonio's map, with a few modifications:

1. Swap St. Landry and Ascension Parishes. Gonzales is arguably a suburb of Baton Rouge and is directly connected by an Interstate highway. Opelousas is arguably a suburb of Lafayette and is directly connected by an Interstate highway. Opelousas and Baton Rouge are roughly 50 miles apart and are only connected by Interstate highways via Lafayette.

2. Put St. James Parish in the Houma-Thibodaux riding. There is no road connection between St. James and Assumption Parishes. With Ascension Parish in the Baton Rouge riding, St. James Parish would be cut off from the rest of the Lafayette riding. St. James Parish is small, and should fit easily.

3. Underpopulate the Lake Charles riding a bit, to get it as far out of Central Louisiana as possible. No matter how you slice it, Central Louisiana gets screwed, so let's try to keep most of it intact. I'd put Natchitoches and Sabine parishes in the Monroe riding. This keeps most of Central Louisiana in the Monroe riding, while at the same time keeping the Lake Charles riding more of a "Western Acadiana" riding.

Other notes: Alexandria has to be paired with either Monroe or Lake Charles. The Alexandria metropolitan area consists of Rapides and Grant parishes. Since Grant Parish is between Alexandria and Monroe along US 165, Monroe is the better fit. Also, I see no reason to split Orleans Parish, or to put St. Bernard Parish in the New Orleans riding. I think Antonio's version of the New Orleans riding (i.e. Orleans Parish plus the part of Jefferson Parish north of the river) is what a boundary commission would do.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

I'm going to be making a municipalities map of Vazdul's second New Jersey, the one with the (I think) more coherent Skylands riding, and then I'll get around to Pennsylvania.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »

I'm not prepared to call this anything more than a draft, but I've done Michigan.

Wayne County: Three ridings can fit into Wayne County nicely within the population restraints, so I decided to do just that.

Blue (Detroit East): The city of Detroit is too big for one riding, so it gets split. I couldn't find useful ward maps for Detroit, so the split is based mostly on what looks good. Population: 603,451 (9.90% overpopulated).

Green (Detroit West-Dearborn): The western part of Detroit gets paired with some of its immediate suburbs. Population: 615,542 (12.10% overpopulated).

Purple (Livonia-Westland-Southgate): This is the suburban Wayne County riding. Population: 601,591 (9.56% overpopulated).

Oakland and Macomb Counties: Two ridings can fit into Oakland County within the population restraints, but then Wayne and Oakland together would be underrepresented by about half of a riding. As it happens, Macomb is entitled to about a riding and a half, so I decided to put two ridings entirely in Oakland, one entirely in Macomb, and one crossing the Oakland-Macomb County line.

Red (Waterford-West Bloomfield): This riding contains the most exurban and rural parts of Oakland County. Population: 461,867 (15.89% underpopulated).

Gold (Pontiac-Southfield): I'm convinced that Pontiac and Southfield belong in the same riding. I'm not crazy about the shape, but its the only way the population works out without splitting municipalities. Population: 463,650 (15.56% underpopulated).

Teal (Warren-Sterling Heights): This is a nice, compact riding consisting of southern Macomb County. Population: 563,724 (2.66% overpopulated).

Dim Gray (Troy-Macomb North): This riding consists of the leftovers from Oakland and Macomb Counties. Population: 554,099 (0.91% overpopulated).

The Rest of the State: From this point on, there are no county splits.

Slate Blue (Ann Arbor-Monroe-Adrian): Population: 596,704 (8.67% overpopulated).

Cyan (Lansing-Howell): Livingston County is awkward- it doesn't really belong with anything yet it must go somewhere. Ann Arbor and Flint are poor choices, and going east will screw up the Detroit area. So it goes with Lansing. Population: 645,003 (17.47% overpopulated).

Deep Pink (Flint-Owosso): Since Genesee County doesn't have enough population for a riding of its own, it gets paired with Shiawassee. Population: 496,438 (9.59% underpopulated).

Chartreuse (Bay City-The Thumb): I'm not happy about pairing the Thumb with Bay City, but the alternatives are Saginaw, Flint, and northern Macomb County. I don't see how Saginaw is a better option than Bay City. Flint is too populous and would need to either be split or split the Thumb. Northern Macomb would screw up the balance in that area. Population: 491,091 (10.56% underpopulated).

Before anyone mentions it, using Livingston County instead of northern Macomb to pair with Oakland's "half riding" would, at best, really push the limits of minimum population, and that's assuming I can find a combination of municipalities to make it work. I could throw in Shiawassee to bump the population up, but I can't justify that from a community of interest standpoint, and there are only minor roads connecting Shiawassee to Livingston.

Cornflower Blue (St. Joseph-Three Rivers-Hastings): This shape doesn't thrill me either, but Kalamazoo is in a rather inconvenient place. Population: 517,240 (5.80% underpopulated).

Dark Salmon (Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Jackson): Population: 638,661 (16.31% overpopulated).

Olive (Grand Rapids): Population: 602,622 (9.75% overpopulated).

Yellow (Muskegon-Holland): Population: 511,019 (6.93% underpopulated).

Dark Slate Blue (Saginaw-Midland-Mount Pleasant): Population: 523,832 (4.60% underpopulated).

Dark Orange (Central Michigan): Got a better name for the mostly rural riding? Let me know. Population: 500,467 (8.86% underpopulated).

Lime (Alpena-Upper Peninsula): Population: 496,639 (9.55% underpopulated).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2012, 11:03:20 PM by Nathan »

I would suggest Leelanau--Traverse City--Huron for your Central Michigan. Especially since people would probably actually consider that area Northern Michigan for the most part.

I'm giving up on Pennsylvania for the moment; I'm simply not familiar enough with the state outside the south-central area. Instead, I can offer my services to come up with names for the ridings in those states (Missouri, Georgia, and Louisiana, I think) whose ridings don't have names yet, unless somebody else wants to.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »

I think the Upper Peninsula should be its own riding. I think the boundary commission would waive the 25% rule in its case.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »

I don't like the Myrtle Beach riding, but the best I could do without county splits.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »

I crave your indulgence(s):

?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:33 AM »

Comments on my Wisconsin map ?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

I for one like your Wisconsin map. It works pretty well from a CoI standpoint.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #218 on: January 20, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »

I also want to do provincial assemblies. I would combine state houses+senate into one assembly and divide the state up into as many districts. For example, Wyoming (60 House+30 Senate=90 MLAs)

Riding names:

1 - Crook
2 - Weston
3 - Niobrara-Glendo
4 - Douglas
5 - Converse West
6 - Torrington
7 - Goshen
8 - Platte South
9 - Cheyenne Northwest
10 - Ranchettes
11 - Cheyenne West
12 - Laramie West
13 - Cheyenne South
14 - Orchard Valley
15 - Cheyenne Center
16 - Cheyenne-Minnehaha
17 - Cheyenne North
18 - Cheyenne-Cahill
19 - Cheyenne Hills
20 - Cheyenne Southeast
21 - College
22 - Laramie Southwest
23 - Burns-Pine Bluff
24 - Cheyenne-Albin
25 - Medicine Bow Country
26 - Laramie Center
27 - Laramie North
28 - Laramie Mountains
29 - Laramie East
30 - Baggs-Saratoga-Rawlins
31 - Rawlins West
32 - Soda Lake-Vista West-The Hills
33 - Mills-Mountain View-Paradise Valley
34 - Red Butte
35 - Casper West
36 - Casper Center
37 - Casper Southwest
38 - Casper-Allendale
39 - Casper Mountain
40 - Casper-Highland
41 - Casper-Huber
42 - Casper Southeast
43 - Casper Northeast
44 - Shoshoni-Jeffrey City-Natrona-Shirley
45 - Lincoln South
46 - Evanston East
47 - Uinta West-Evanston
48 - Uinta East
49 - Lincoln North
50 - Salt River
51 - Flaming Gorge-Great Divide
52 - Green River South
53 - Granger-Jamestown-Green River
54 - Rock Springs East
55 - Rock Springs North
56 - Rock Springs Center
57 - Rock Springs-Clearview Acres-Purple Sage
58 - Wind River South
59 - Wind River North
60 - Morton-Fort Washakie-Milford
61 - Ladner
62 - Ethete-Arapahoe-Hudson-Luthuy
63 - Riverton
64 - Riverton-Ocean Lake-Pavillion
65 - Jackson
66 - Gros Ventre
67 - Wilson-Teton Pines-Skyline-Cottonwood Park
68 - Yellowstone-Grand Teton
69 - Cody West
70 - Cody East
71 - Frannie Canal
72 - Meeteetse-Hot Springs-Boysen
73 - Worland
74 - Basin-Washakie-Ten Sleep-Johnson
75 - Buffalo-Hyattville-Manderson
76 - Yellowtail-Burlington
77 - Bighorn-Greybull
78 - Sheridan-Ranchester
79 - Sherdian West
80 - Sheridan East
81 - Sheridan South
82 - Sheridan-Campbell-Johnson-New Haven
83 - Gillette West
84 - Gillette North
85 - Gillette Center
86 - Gillette-Rozet
87 - Gillette-Sleepy Hollow
88 - Gillette Southwest
89 - Gillette-Wright
90 - Powell
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »

I think it's good. I was a bit iffy about pairing Dane County with Jefferson County, but having looked at the numbers, I don't see an alternative.

Missouri looks good.

In Georgia, would it be possible to rotate Rome-Dalton, Macon-Columbus, Augusta-Milledgeville, and Athens-North Georgia Mountains a bit counterclockwise? I'm of the opinion that Columbus belongs with Albany, Athens belongs with Augusta, and Macon should be the focal point of a central Georgia riding (definitely including Houston County). My concern is that such a rotation would ruin the Rome-Dalton riding. I may work on a counter-proposal later.

I already gave my comments on Louisiana.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

Thank you for your corrections, Vazdul. I'll try to come with a revised map as soon as I can.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #221 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 03:42:31 PM by Nathan »

Georgia, I should point out, is Bacon King's map, not mine; I just named the ridings.

Also, I lied, here's Pennsylvania.

Riding names (DRA color order)

Philadelphia North-East
Philadelphia South-East
Philadelphia West
Bucks
Delaware--Media (to distinguish it from the Province of Delaware)
Norristown
Reading--Pottstown
Chester
Lancaster
Dauphin--Lebanon--Schuykill
Lehigh Valley
Scranton--Poconos
Wyoming Valley
York--Gettysburg
Mechanicsburg--Chambersburg
Allegheny Front (could also be called Altoona--State College--Williamsport)
Allegheny Plateau (could also be called Allegheny)
Monongahela
Johnstown--Greensburg
Pittsburgh
Three Rivers
Erie--Crawford--Mercer
Beaver--Oil City
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #222 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

Georgia, I should point out, is Bacon King's map, not mine; I just named the ridings.

In that case, I'll defer to his judgment, since he's actually, you know, from Georgia. But I still think Houston County belongs with Macon.

As for Pennsylvania, I have a couple of issues.

1. Put Scranton and Wilkes-Barre in the same riding if possible. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern- you can't have one without the other.

2. I really don't think Altoona and Williamsport belong in the same riding.

Since I haven't played around with the map yet, I can't say how it'll work. I might try later since I don't have to do Georgia now.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

I don't like the Myrtle Beach riding, but the best I could do without county splits.

I have a counter-proposal:

Blue (Charleston): I'll admit that South Carolina can be tricky to draw. One of the reasons for this is that once you include Charleston and it's immediate suburbs in a riding, you still need to pick up some population. But Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head is too much for the Charleston riding, but not enough to really anchor a riding on their own. So if you're to have a coherent Charleston riding, you're forced to have three ridngs that border the coast, where intuitively there should only be two. Population: 759,188 (1.52% underpopulated).

Green (Myrtle Beach-Florence-Sumter): This riding encompasses the Pee Dee Region. Population: 777,295 (0.83% overpopulated).

Purple (Greenville-Anderson-Easley): Another thing that makes South Carolina tricky to draw is that the obvious pairing of Greenville and Spartanburg can easily cause you to paint yourself into a corner. If I had gone with a Greenville-Spartanburg riding with the way I drew Charleston, I would have been forced into an awkward northwestern riding surrounding Greenville-Spartanburg (and likely a split of York County). However, separating Greenville from Spartanburg can be justified- they are in separate Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Greenville's MSA includes Pickens County, whereas Spartanburg County is an MSA by itself. Population: 831,848 (7.91% overpopulated).

Red (Hilton Head-Aiken-Greenwood): With the population centers where they are, you're pretty much forced to have a long riding going most of the length of the Savannah River if you want to avoid awkwardness elsewhere. Population: 804,835 (4.40% overpopulated).

Yellow (Columbia): All of the counties in this riding are in Columbia's MSA, even rural Fairfield, Kershaw, and Calhoun. Population: 747,723 (3.01% underpopulated).

Teal (Spartanburg-Rock Hill): Population: 704,475 (8.62% underpopulated).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 05:59:35 PM by Nathan »

New riding names in the changed area: Poconos--Sayre and The Valley, Wyoming Valley, Harrisburg--Mid-Susquehanna, Altoona--State College, Allegheny. It should be obvious which is which. One can even out the populations a little more by putting Schuykill in Poconos--Sayre and The Valley, but that looks atrocious and makes no sense. The hemicycle of mountainous counties north and east of the Wyoming Valley is a community of interest. Schuykill County is not part of that community of interest. Bradford County barely is (the community of interest of which it is really part crosses state lines up towards Elmira), but it has to be in it for the populations to work at all without splitting anything.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies