Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:28:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177730 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »

It seems bizarre that provincially Toronto used the old ward names, despite not being in existence for 100 years. Speaking of which, why is St. Paul's called that? There was never a municipal ward named that.

All of this got me thinking about a project for a rainy day: Create a separate set of provincial electoral districts for Ontario Smiley
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Glengarry is 33% French home language. South Glengarry is 17% French home language. Cornwall is 15% French home language. North Stormont is 17% French home language. The UC of SD&G is 13% French home language. It is a bilingual district. North Glengarry is a normal part of it, just slightly more francophone.
Good. How many? And how many in the North? And why isn't anyone asking Dalton McGuinty his intentions? The NDP would certainly co-operate in keeping the north well-represented. He "persuaded" Elizabeth Witmer nicely. Has he been quietly offering to preserve the seat of any floor-crosser? Logically, he should.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

North Glengarry is 33% French home language. South Glengarry is 17% French home language. Cornwall is 15% French home language. North Stormont is 17% French home language. The UC of SD&G is 13% French home language. It is a bilingual district. North Glengarry is a normal part of it, just slightly more francophone.
Good. How many? And how many in the North? And why isn't anyone asking Dalton McGuinty his intentions? The NDP would certainly co-operate in keeping the north well-represented. He "persuaded" Elizabeth Witmer nicely. Has he been quietly offering to preserve the seat of any floor-crosser? Logically, he should.

Well, as mentioned, I'm not familiar with how the commission did it in the past. Would you happen to know? If it was up to me, Ontario would have ~750 ridings, but that's not going to happen Wink
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »

I have no idea why they call it St.Pauls.. it used to be a riding in the 30's but was an odd N-S sliver that covered part of the DT core of TO. There is a CHurch up that way called St. Pauls, but again no clue.
I like the historical reference/preservation. Also they surpass community names as they tend to be all encompassing of areas... St. David is all encompassing of St. Jamestown, Cabbagetown, Regent Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosedale_-_1933.PNG

I like the idea of ON specific ridings, return them back to say 80K-85K per riding, meaning ON would get about 150 or so seats? Too many?
OR... introduce MMP... keep the seats at say current fed level of 107 (just mvoe the boundaries)... but add regional list seats.
OK this starts a whole other conversation... Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »

While MMP would be nice, we'll have to wait a few years for that to be considered again.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

Shame... it won't happen unless McGuinty is pushed and i doubt he would be.

so... what would ON 151 ridings look like then? at 85K per riding... sounds fun to try it out!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »

Shame... it won't happen unless McGuinty is pushed and i doubt he would be.

so... what would ON 151 ridings look like then? at 85K per riding... sounds fun to try it out!

Well these areas would make automatic ridings:

Elgin
Prescott-Russell
Nipissing
Northumberland
Cochrane

Pickering
Clarington
Milton
Niagara Falls

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Nova Scotia analysis now up: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2012/07/nova-scotia-federal-riding-boundary.html
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »

Good summary, except you didn't address my major concern: Halifax has 4.66 quotients. Why isn't there a fifth Halifax-based seat?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »

Good summary, except you didn't address my major concern: Halifax has 4.66 quotients. Why isn't there a fifth Halifax-based seat?

I did hint towards the fact that the riding of Halifax was oversized. Personally, I wouldn't create a 5th Halifax riding. The area can be over populated a little bit, considering I would keep the 2 Cape Breton ridings under populated.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »

Under my proposal, the average non Cape Breton based riding becomes 87,000. That means Halifax would have to lose 5000 people. You add that to the South Shore riding, and it gets 88,000 people. Maybe move a bit more of that riding into West Nova, while taking a chunk of that riding and putting it in with Kings-Hants, while removing the Shubenacadie area of that riding. Any surplus can go to Cumberland-Colchester. If Sackville gets too big, you can have Central Nova take some of it. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration the split of Bedford which I would try to fix...
DL
Canada

« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »

Why can't they simply add a bit more of Halifax to SSSM and give a bit more of SSSM to West Nova and thereby equalize the populations and make SSSM even more of a "rurban" seat?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »

Why can't they simply add a bit more of Halifax to SSSM and give a bit more of SSSM to West Nova and thereby equalize the populations and make SSSM even more of a "rurban" seat?

That's what I suggested, but I am against making West Nova too anglophone.
DL
Canada

« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »

West Nova is already about 90%+ anglophone isn't it? The Acadian community is a teeny-weeny area of that seat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »

West Nova is already about 90%+ anglophone isn't it? The Acadian community is a teeny-weeny area of that seat.

It's 15% Francophone. No need to make it less..
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 01:39:10 PM by The Great Pumpkin »

It seems bizarre that provincially Toronto used the old ward names, despite not being in existence for 100 years. Speaking of which, why is St. Paul's called that? There was never a municipal ward named that.

I'm not exactly sure about this, but I believe that it may be named for St. Paul's Methodist (later United) on Avenue Road.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »

I'm not exactly sure about this, but I believe that it may be named for St. Paul's Methodist (later United) on Avenue Road.

Strange to name a riding after a church. But at least it's a United Church! Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Quebec plan is published.

Earl, you'll hate it, there is a ton of ridings named about people, like Gilles Villeneuve.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

Ou?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

http://www.redecoupage-federal-redistribution.ca/content.asp?section=qc&dir=media&document=jul1612&lang=e

Contrary to expectations, Montreal is heavily redistricted. Laurier--Sainte-Marie and Westmount--Vile-Marie are totally split.

Funilly, a Plateau--Mile-End seat is proposed. They decided to add a district in Montreal.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

My part of town (Wilder-Penfield) got its boundary adjusted... interesting. Mount Royal got pushed all the way into the West Island unless I badly misread the map.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

Mount Royal is in a riding strechting to the airport.

My home riding: Abitibi-Nunavik is quite unchanged, while Outremont is badly hurt. Areas to the northwest are added and parts of the downtown too. The Mile End is lost to the new Plateau-Mile End (would Mulcair move there? It includes the strongest NDP area of Outremont.)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #322 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

I see the Quebec proposal is out but I wanted to make some comments about Wilfred Day's proposal.

Le Haut-Richelieu 114,344 + Brome-Missisquoi 55,621 + Les Jardins-de-Napierville 26,234 + Le Haut-Saint-Laurent 21,197 = 217,396 (2.15 quotients), so make two ridings there.

La Haute-Yamaska 85,042 + Rouville 35,690 less Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu 4,618 and Richelieu 5,467 = 110,647 (1.09 quotients), one riding.

First thank you for your input. I like to see what people come up with.

For the two ridings covering Haut-Richelieu, Brome, Napierville, Haut-Saint-Laurent, I think it would imply splitting Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Having one riding on the west of the Richelieu river with MRC Haut-Saint-Laurent, Jardins de Napierville and about 50,000 of people from Saint-Jean. The rest of Saint-Jean and the rest of the MRC Haut-Richelieu with Brome-Missisquoi on the east side of the Richelieu river. Not sure splitting Saint-Jean would be ideal.

I like what you did with what is Shefford. Haute-Yamaska with a bit more of Rouville, I believe Marieville would be added. The riding would lose the part of MRC Val Saint-François it included, so would have territory of only 2 MRC. 
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #323 on: July 16, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

Earl, you'll hate it, there is a ton of ridings named about people, like Gilles Villeneuve.

Jesus Christ. How long till we get a Celine Dion riding at this rate?

The NCR is interesting. There's a downtown Gatineau (Hull and Versant district) district named 'Outaouais' (a weird name). Aylmer forms a riding extending into the Gatineaus with Wakefield and Chelsea following A-105 and road 105. There is a eastern Gatineau/Buckingham/Masson-Angers/Val des Monts district named 'Petite Nation' (wtf). And a huge remote district called Hautes Laurentides-Pontiac.

Montreal looks pretty stupid.

And the naming is terrible. The people behind this should be shot.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #324 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »

And the naming is terrible. The people behind this should be shot.

I don't know where to start there is so much to say. These people need help. On the Alberta commission report they thanked a geograph. Do commissions have support staff or they work at three people only.

I was not a fan of people's names as ridings. Like when they added Marc-Aurèle Fortin and Alfred Pellan names, it didn't say to me where it was located. But now there is a deluge of them. Some of them I don't even know so I have to click on the riding to read about the reason for the name, some names i know but can't associate with a specific place. It's like they are trying to give history lessons.

They even justify why they go for person's names after talking about the guidelines for electoral district by the Geographical Names Board of Canada.

The Board also recommends that the names selected be those that "immediately lead one to recall the province" in which the districts are situated, ideally geographical names. However, given the large number of districts to which we had to assign a new name, we considered it appropriate to designate a number of them by the name of a person rather than a geographical name. This avoids any ambiguity. It also gives recognition to certain persons and sites prominent in Quebec's history and connected with the areas in which the districts are situated.

The intro to the report talks uncessarily about scenarios like what if there were not three more  ridings added what would be the variance of actual ridings to the mean. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies