Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:19:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177752 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

No. (Well, yes, it's there. But it's named for the hill and ancient parish, and later urban district though that covered a much smaller area. Not for the poet who also styled himself after the hill.)

I did write 'arguably' Smiley

Though the ancient name is Mynyddislwyn. So it could be argued that 70s bureaucrats accidentally named the local government area (and then constituency) after a poet Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Telford is pretty random, actually. Dawley New Town had become a bit of a PR disaster and needed a new name, the man in charge (Brummie machine politician Frank Price) had a thing for Thomas Telford, and so it was. The man himself had more to do with Shrewsbury, regrettably for Shrewsbury.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 03:03:51 PM by Wilfred Day »

I feel Im going to have to find my historic Quebec counties map in an effort to try and re-name all of these ridings...
Take "Anne-Hébert" which gives no clue where it is. But the real problem with this proposed riding is, it isn't anywhere: 65,572 people in the Quebec City Region in the present Portneuf riding, and 35,018 residents of the Mauricie region including part of the City of Trois-Rivières, parts of the two present ridings of Saint-Maurice--Champlain and Trois-Rivières. "Given that the most populated part of the district lies all along Royal Road, choosing a representative place name appeared to be a delicate matter." No kidding. "The name "Anne-Hébert," in memory of a famous writer who was born in this electoral district, seemed most appropriate."

Mauricie has 2.60 quotients. They could have simply added parts of Lanaudière (D'Autray etc.) as already exists. Or they could have crossed the bridge and added Bécancour's 0.20 quotients and Nicolet-Yamaska's 0.22 (getting rid of that monstrosity Bas-Richelieu - Nicolet - Bécancour which persists virtually unchanged yet is renamed for no good reason). But no, they straddle both the east and west limits of Mauricie, which will now be in two ridings and parts of two more.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »

Why not name that riding "Royal Road" (Chemin Royal)
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

Maybe the names come from historical societies input. Or they spent time research this instead of working on the map and trying not to cut towns in two.
Give them a small credit for improving the map by straightening the boundary between Portneuf and Saint-Maurice - Champlain. They took out an ugly bump, the unorganized territory of Lac Lapeyrère which has a population of -- wow! zero! -- but the map looks better.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 03:55:31 PM by Wilfred Day »

Why not name that riding "Royal Road" (Chemin Royal)
I don't care what you call it; it's weird.

This is all because of their Saguenay decision.

The Quebec City region has 700,616 residents, 6.915 quotients, seven ridings an average of 1.2% below quotient. A no brainer. Côte-Nord has 94,766, which they correctly used as the new boundaries of Manicouagan. All they had to do was keep Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean's three ridings, and the Quebec City region would have been fine. But no, they had to take 29,578 people from Charlevoix. So the dominos roll on all the way to Trois-Rivières, taking 35,018 residents out of the Mauricie region.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 04:26:38 PM by Sharif Hashemite »

Given that the commission is clearly trolling us, I feel like seriously proposing the name 'Justin-Bieber' for the new Perth-Wellington riding.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 04:50:16 PM by Hatman »

Here's some suggested names (submitted for your approval)

Abitibi--Nunavik: Vallee-de-l'Or--Jamesie--Kativik
Abitibi--Temiscamingue: Abitibi--Temiscamingue--Rouyn-Noranda
Alfred-Dubuc: Jonquiere--Le Fjord
Alfred-Pellan: Laval East
Anne-Hebert: Portneuf--Champlain
Aylmer: Aylmer--Les Collines
Beauce: Beauce--Frontenac
Bourassa: Montreal-Nord--Sault-au-Recollet
Brome--Missisquoi: No change.
Cap-Roughe: Cap-Rouge--L'Ancienne-Lorette
Charlevoix--Saguenay: Chicoutimi--La Baie--Charlevoix
Chateauguay: Chateauguay--Napierville
Compton--Stanstead: No change.
Cote-de-Beaupre: Montmorency--Jacques-Cartier
Cure-Labelle: Riviere-du-Nord--Sainte-Anne (for Ste Anne des Lacs, and Ste Anne des Plaines)
Denis-Benjamin-Viger: Pierrefonds--Dollard--Ile-Bizard
Drummond: No change.
Elzear-Bernier: Rivere-du-Loup--Montmagny
Etienne-Parent: Charlesbourg--Beauport
Gaspesie--Les-Iles: Gaspesie--Les-Iles-de-la-Maedeleine
George-Etienne-Cartier: Ahuntsic--Cartierville--Vertu
Gilles-Villeneuve: Berthier--Maskinonge
Hautes-Laurentides--Pontiac: Pontiac--Papineau--Labelle
Hochelaga: Hochelaga-Maisonneuve--Mercier
Idola-Saint-Jean: Rosemont--La Petite-Patrie
John-Peters-Humphrey: Mount Royal--Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead
Joliette: Joliette--Matawinie
La Chute: Argenteuil--Mirabel--Deux-Montagnes
Lachine--LaSalle: No change.
Lac-Saint-Jean: No change.
Lac-Saint-Louis: No change.
Laurentides: No change.
Levis: Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere
Lignery: Laprairie
Longueuil: Longueuil--Saint-Hubert--Boucherville
Lotbiniere--Megantic: No change.
Louis-Frechette: Levis--Etchemins--Bellechasse

To be continued

Given that the commission is clearly trolling us, I feel like seriously proposing the name 'Justin-Bieber' for the new Perth-Wellington riding.

And "Avril-Lavigne" for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington and St. Paul's can be renamed "Drake" ... and "Russell-Peters" for Bramalea Gore Malton Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

No, no and no. Abitibi doesn't refer to the counties, but to the region of the same name. Anyways, nobody calls Abitibi county that name, because of the confusion with the region. They call it Amos-Région.

The current names are almost perfect, except than I would say Abitibi--Baie James--Nunavik.
Jamesie and Kativik are artificial names not used by people.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #358 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »

The name would be Chemin du Roy.

Trying to guess where Anne-Hébert was located, I remembered one of her novel is Kamouraska, so I thought it would be in that area. Looking at the map and it was east of Quebec City i remembered she was from there.

Big on the front page of Le Quotidien newspaper in Saguenay: Linked to Charlevoix.
The commission will get negative reactions from Saguenay and the Gaspé peninsula.

It all depends on how much people find acceptable less populous ridings. Like Saguenay region, two were a little under average population and one by a lot (-22%). Regional entity and representation vs numbers equality.

I didn't think the Quebec commission would go so much for vote equality. Last time they proposed a map that was very equal in numbers but then changed. When I read the report they said things like we changed backed more to like the riding was before, we heard from MRC and cities they don't like to be split. They do a map more with numbers in mind first and then have to readjust based on connections and communities.

I don't know, Alberta did a map with ridings within 5% of mean and people seem to find it good. I don't know if it's different geography that makes it difficult in other provinces.    
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #359 on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

One thing I'll say for it: how they handled the Outaouais problem. The Outaouais region has 3.64 quotients. What to do? Their solution is to add 42,661 residents of Antoine-Labelle and parts of Les Laurentides (0.42 quotients), included in Hautes-Laurentides--Pontiac. This puts Mont-Laurier into the same riding as Maniwaki, which makes sense. (If you're worried about names, shouldn't it be Papineau--Pontiac--Hautes-Laurentides?)

The alternative was to add the 32,117 residents of Argenteuil including areas on the border of metropolitan Montreal. I think they made the right choice.

About the alternative. It would be MRC Argenteuil, MRC Papineau and the western border would be moved west, probably take in Buckingham and Masson Angers. The negative is it mixes part of Gatineau to the more rural east. There is an easy road connection with highway 50 to link all the territory.

With Hautes-Laurentides-Pontiac, it is more all dispersed small towns (maybe more homogenous) but the territory is big, west of Gatineau, north of it and even Hautes-Laurentides and east of Gatineau.

The name Outaouais is suggested for the riding with Hull in it. Outaouais is generic, could be anywhere in the whole region, or along the river. The last commission suggested the name Outaouais for the riding that became Argenteuil-Papineau-Mirabel. 
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #360 on: July 17, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 11:34:07 PM by Wilfred Day »

The name Outaouais is suggested for the riding with Hull in it. Outaouais is generic, could be anywhere in the whole region, or along the river. The last commission suggested the name Outaouais for the riding that became Argenteuil-Papineau-Mirabel.
I would prefer Gatineau-Centre.

But perhaps they will prefer Alonzo-Wright, after Alonzo Wright, its MP from 1867 to 1891, the ""King of the Gatineau" for whom the Alonzo Wright Bridge is named, which connects the two halves of the new riding across the Gatineau River.

They renamed the riding Wright in his honour from 1892 to 1947 when it was changed to Gatineau, but the Commission might correct that error by bringing the name back???
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2012, 12:36:52 AM »

Gatineau Centre might sound like a good name, but I think it might anger some Hullois still angry over amalgamation. "Hull--Gatineau" is the better name.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »

So where are Quebec's "new" ridings? (A matter of definition to some extent).

The Commission says "The electoral map of Quebec has thus changed substantially, most notably with the addition of 3 electoral districts: 2 in Montréal's northern rim and 1 in its southern rim. Further, we had to reduce the number of electoral districts in Eastern Quebec by 1 and establish another district elsewhere. For that district, the Commission members chose a site on the Island of Montréal."

They say there are two new ridings "in Montréal's northern rim" but really the Outaouais had three ridings and part (Papineau) of a fourth (Argenteuil--Papineau--Mirabel, 23% over quotient). So now the new La Chute has had Papineau shaved off it, and includes Argenteuil, Mirabel, and the same parts of Deux-Montagnes that were in Argenteuil--Papineau--Mirabel. Then they took 42,661 residents (0.42 quotient) of Laurentides--Labelle (which was 9.9% over quotient) to help make the fourth Outaouais riding. The new Laurentides in turn takes 20,254 residents from Rivière-du-Nord (which was 14% over quotient), and another 5,934 from Montcalm (which was 42% over quotient). So Rivière-du-Nord (renamed Curé-Labelle) in turn takes 14,535 from Terrebonne-Blainville (which was 20% over quotient).

So what else happened in the Northern Rim? Repentigny was 18% over quotient. Rivière-des-Mille-Îles was only 3% over, but Laval got another half riding so the North Shore had to find a home for the north half of the old Marc-Aurèle-Fortin. The old Rivière-des-Mille-Îles is renamed Paul--Sauvé while we get a new riding of Mille-Îles. (Are you confused yet?) The rest of Terrebonne-Blainville becomes Terrebonne, and Repentigny becomes Pierre-Legardeur (Pierre Legardeur de Repentigny was Coseigneur of Repentigny in 1715.)

So the two new ridings are actually half a riding in Laval, half a riding in the Outaouais, and Mille-Îles which takes in 0.53 quotients from Terrebonne-Blainville and another 0.55 quotients from Marc-Aurèle-Fortin.

The new south shore riding seems to me to be Lignery, which includes 0.48 quotient from Brossard - La Prairie (which was 26% over quotient) and 0.51 quotient from Châteauguay - Saint-Constant (which was 12% over quotient).
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:34 AM »

The new south riding might be viewed as being Vaudreuil. No new name created like Lignery but Vaudreuil-Soulanges had the highest population on the south shore. If they worked like I did, I created a new Vaudreuil and the rest was the domino effect. That is how Lignery appeared.

I imagine you view Vaudreuil has being a shrunk version riding, Soulanges a modified version of Beauharnois-Salaberry, so Lignery with is creating from joining parts that were in two ridings is the new one.

I spotted the use of the name Mille-Illes too. Removed from one riding's name and put in the neigbouring one. Why if it was not mostly a renaming exercise to give a person's name to former Rivière-de-Mille-Iles.

Also the name Labelle was in Laurentides-Labelle before and on the new map there is Curé-Labelle used in the Saint-Jérôme area this time. Not that he is not associated with the area but the name was used in another riding before.

Perhaps they don't want to use the name Gatineau in one of the ridings because Gatineau spreads in many ridings. And part of the pre-merged Gatineau is in Petite-Nation.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

Alfred-Dubuc: Jonquiere--Le Fjord
Alfred-Pellan: Laval East
Anne-Hebert: Portneuf--Champlain
Aylmer: Aylmer--Les Collines
Beauce: Beauce--Frontenac
Bourassa: Montreal-Nord--Sault-au-Recollet
Brome--Missisquoi: No change.
Cap-Roughe: Cap-Rouge--L'Ancienne-Lorette
Charlevoix--Saguenay: Chicoutimi--La Baie--Charlevoix
Chateauguay: Chateauguay--Napierville
Compton--Stanstead: No change.
Cote-de-Beaupre: Montmorency--Jacques-Cartier
Cure-Labelle: Riviere-du-Nord--Sainte-Anne (for Ste Anne des Lacs, and Ste Anne des Plaines)
Denis-Benjamin-Viger: Pierrefonds--Dollard--Ile-Bizard
Drummond: No change.
Elzear-Bernier: Rivere-du-Loup--Montmagny
Etienne-Parent: Charlesbourg--Beauport
Gaspesie--Les-Iles: Gaspesie--Les-Iles-de-la-Maedeleine
George-Etienne-Cartier: Ahuntsic--Cartierville--Vertu
Gilles-Villeneuve: Berthier--Maskinonge
Hautes-Laurentides--Pontiac: Pontiac--Papineau--Labelle
Hochelaga: Hochelaga-Maisonneuve--Mercier
Idola-Saint-Jean: Rosemont--La Petite-Patrie
John-Peters-Humphrey: Mount Royal--Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead
Joliette: Joliette--Matawinie
La Chute: Argenteuil--Mirabel--Deux-Montagnes
Lachine--LaSalle: No change.
Lac-Saint-Jean: No change.
Lac-Saint-Louis: No change.
Laurentides: No change.
Levis: Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere
Lignery: Laprairie
Longueuil: Longueuil--Saint-Hubert--Boucherville
Lotbiniere--Megantic: No change.
Louis-Frechette: Levis--Etchemins--Bellechasse

To be continued

I'm going to propose some Montreal area Names:

Alfred-Pellan: Laval-Est (lets keep them French) Tongue
Pierrefonds—Dollard: No change needed
Idola-Saint-Denis: Rosemount
Saint-Leonard: Saint-Leaonard--Maissonneuve
MacDonald-Langstaff: Roxboro—Saraguay…  or maybe something like Bois-du-Saraguay—Roxboro
Georges-Etienne-Cartier: Ahunstic-Cartierville—Saint-Laurent
Maurice-Richard: Saint-Michel—Saint-Paul (could use some help, Saint-Paul cause a park in the centre, but I can’t seem to find a neighbourhood/common name for this areas between Ahuntsic and Sault-au-Recollet?
Papineau: Villery
Wilder-Penfield:Notre-Dame-de-Grace—Westmount
Montreal-Est: Montreal-Est—Anjou (fits with Hatmans Montreal-Nord—Sault-au-Recollet)
Ville-Marie: Ville-Marie—Saint-Henri (or Point-Saint-Charles)
John-Peters-Humphrey: TRUDEAU!... kidding, Hatmans idea works (Mont Royal—Cote-Saint-Luc—Hampstead
Verdun: Verdun—Emard
Paul-Ragueneau: Laval-sure-le-Lac
Sault-au-Recollet (poor choice since the neighbourhood is across the water on Montreal): Laval-des-Rapides (does it matter that that is a provincial name?) or simply Laval-Centre
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »

Some more of my proposed names

MacDonald-Langstaff: Saint-Laurent--Roxboro
Manicouagan: Cote-Nord
Maurice-Richard: Ahuntsic--Saint-Michel--Saint-Leonard
Mille-Iles: Blainville--Mile-Iles
Montarville: Saint-Bruno--Saint-Hubert--Saint-Basile
Montreal-Est: Montreal-Est--Anjou--Tetreaultville
Nicolas-Vincent: Saint-Charles
Outaouais: Hull--Gatineau
Outremont: Outremont--Cote-des-Neiges
Ozias-Leduc: Chambly--Rouville
Papineau: Villeray--Parc-Extension
Paul-Comtois: Nicolet--Yamaska--Richelieu

More to come
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

Trudeau isn't a bad name for the Mount Royal riding, actually. I did propose it as a name for my Conservative gerrymander in the gallery. (hehehe)
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »

A couple issues with your names... and possibly needs som clarification (hell i could be wrong)

MacDonald-Langstaff: Saint-Laurent--Roxboro
 - By the looks of the proposal Saint-Laurent is actually in Geroges-Etienne-Cariter not MacDonald-Langstaff. the border between the too looks like Avenue O'Brien, Saint-Laurent looks to be East of that. While i think this riding should keep "Roxboro" but add as i've suggested maybe a nod to the two major nature parcs... so Bois-du-Saraguay--Roxboro has a nice ring Tongue

Maurice-Richard: Ahuntsic--Saint-Michel--Saint-Leonard
- I don't think Saint-Leonard is in this riding either, but i like the Ahuntsic--Saint-Michel name. Blvd Viau seems to be the propsed border, and Saint-Laurent is much farther east.

So its too confusing to have Ahuntsic-Cariterville and Ahuntsic in two dufferent riding names... so i'd go with Cartierville--Saint-Laurent and then Ahuntsic--Saint-Michel
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #368 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »

And Prince Edward-Hastings to be renamed Avril-Lavigne?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: July 18, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »

.. i suppose i could support Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry being re-named Pierre Fitch Tongue But since that might be too controversial... Ryan Gosling sounds fun Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »

.. i suppose i could support Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry being re-named Pierre Fitch Tongue But since that might be too controversial... Ryan Gosling sounds fun Smiley

Who is that person?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »

Who is that person?

Ryan Gosling, well he's an actor Smiley ... but i assume your talking about Pierre Fitch, hes a gay porn star Tongue
still probably one of the more famous people (outside of Gosling and hockey stars) to come from Cornwall (the main city in the riding. was more of a joke since we were on famous people from the riding tangent
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 04:44:43 PM by Hatman »

Avril Lavigne is from Napanee which is in Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington (I actually already mentioned this in my reply, as well as naming St. Paul's after the rapper Drake.

Some other celebrity ridings:

Timmins-James Bay: Shania-Twain
Ottawa South: Dan-Aykroyd
Mount Royal: William-Shatner
Ottawa Centre: Alanis-Morrissette
Newmarket-Aurora: Jim-Carrey
Scarborough-Agincourt: Mike-Myers
Crowfoot: k.d.-lang
Kingston and the Islands: Don-Cherry
Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley: Feist
Simcoe North: Gordon-Lightfoot
Willowdale: Geddy-Lee (or Howie-Mandel, take your pick)
Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock: Neil-Young
Repentigny: Celine-Dion
Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale: Martin-Short
Brant: Wayne-Gretzky
Nanaimo-Cowichan: Pamela-Anderson
Scarborough-Guildwood: Steven-Page
Egmont: Stompin'-Tom
Ottawa-Vanier: Matthew-Perry
Dartmouth-Cole Habour: Sidney Crosby
Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke: Tom-Green (Ottawa-Vanier is taken)
St. John's East: Rick-Mercer
Nunavut: Susan-Aglukark
Yukon: Pierre-Berton (maybe the most respectable person so far, and also he's dead)
Saint John: Donald-Sutherland
Halifax: Sarah-McLachlan
Bramalea-Gore-Malton: Russell-Peters
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

Of course, Wilf Carter needs to get two ridings. One in Alberta which he's associated with and one in Nova Scotia where he was actually born and spent his childhood.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »

There also needs to be a riding called Kicking Horse Pass so that Dave Broadfoot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Broadfoot) can have a riding to represent Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies