Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:28:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 179064 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »

I like the second one the best, but there's still some awkwardness. I guess it can't really be avoided...
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »

I like the second one the best, but there's still some awkwardness. I guess it can't really be avoided...

Do you mean Option 2 or Option 3?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »

Well, the municipal limits in that area were very wierd, too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #878 on: March 26, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »

Do you mean Option 2 or Option 3?

Option 3
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #879 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

The Longueuil option 3 is in the direction of what I was trying to do.

I cut the elongated Lemoyne a little more than on the map. I took out the 4 census tracts of Saint-Hubert borough that are southeast of Greenfield Park (16,552 people).  Then I push the northeast boundary of Lemoyne to chemin Chambly so the northern border of the riding would be a straight line instead of changing streets midway. I don't know exactly what population this represents since I can't just add the census tracts for that area, part of it is already in Lemoyne. I go with a rough estimate of 12,500. Total estimate 100,800 so in reality should be very near quotient.

The estimated 12,500 along Chemin Chambly are substracted from Longueuil-Pierre-Boucher at the bottom of the riding. In exchange I push the nothern riding more into Boucherville to Montbrun blvd instead of Montarville with the added area limit road 132 (not the river). That is three census tracts for 12,153. Longueuil-Pierre Boucher is around 99,000. Boucherville is still split but about three quarters is in this riding instead of half.

Verchères-Les Patriotes becomes smaller. It receives 2,624 people from the transfer of Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil (the commission does this to reduce the population in Chambly).  With my transfer of part of Boucherville I get a total of 94,826. If more people are needed, the little triangle south of Montarville, between the river and road 132 could be in Verchères- Les patriotes instead of Longueuil, the 132 road would a division between the two ridings and blvd Montbrun. The riding covers more territority and municipalities so I think it can be ok to have less people.

Saint-Bruno-Saint-Hubert riding has Saint-Basile, Saint-Bruno and a great part of Saint-Hubert. This riding gets the part of Saint-Hubert I retrieved from the Commission's proposal of Lemoyne. This should be 105,716. The only part of Saint-Hubert not in this riding is the corner between Greenfield Park and Longueuil, representing 17,499 in three census tracts.

I think the negative is Boucherville is still cut and shares a riding with Longueuil contrary to the the commission's proposal, but I have reservation on how they split up Longueuil.

We talked about Saint-Hubert airport being on the other side of Sir Wildfrid Laurier road and it occured to me that the space agency is adjacent to the airport.         
Krago
« Reply #880 on: March 26, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2013, 09:49:39 AM by Krago »

Your proposed populations (including the triangle north of Hwy 132) are:

101,554 - LeMoyne
  97,578 - Longueuil--Pierre-Boucher
104,769 - Saint-Bruno--Saint-Hubert
  95,781 - Verchères--Les Patriotes

Longueuil Alternative Map - Option 4

By the way, there's a gray blob in Boucherville just south of the intersection of Mortagne and Montarville.  That's Poll 18, where the Marxist-Leninists got 127 votes and the NDP got 0.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #881 on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »

Thank you for the numbers. The differences were not that large. Also thanks for the time you spent on making alternative scenario maps.
Ontarois
Rookie
« Reply #882 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2013, 12:17:36 AM by Ontarois »

I'm not allowed to post links, as I do not visit here often enough.  So, this is in response to Reply #872 above from Harry Hayfield, and I provide the terms to Google the web sites.

(1)  How the redistribution procedure works in Canada can be found by Googling the search terms "canada federal redistribution timeline overview".  At present, the Houe of Commons is hearing representations from MPs, which is the final review before the respective Commissions finalize the boundaries.  Though MPs are allowed to makes proposals and the opportunity for public comments is now over, the Boundaries Commission for each province wil have the final decision after considering the MPs recommendations, without having that final Commission proposal go back to the House of Commons.

(2)  The results of the last federal election, tranposed onto the original proposed boundaries can be found by Googling the search terms "pollmaps.ca redistribution 2012" .  Once a "new" riding is chosen, the page shows the number of votes from each "old" constituency that fall into the ?new" riding.

The results of the last federal election transposed onto the most recent set of boundary proposals can be found by Googling the search terms "pollmaps.ca redistribution 2013".  Same thing goes for the transposition of votes.
Krago
« Reply #883 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »

In honour of the Saskatchewan Tories version of March Madness - a full-court press of the House Committee on Procedure - here's my version of a Saskatchewan map that could address the MPs concerns while also benefitting the NDP.

Saskatchewan - Alternative

Saskatoon - Alternative

Regina - Alternative

Central Saskatchewan - Alternative 2

Regina - Alternative 2
Benj

« Reply #884 on: March 28, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »

That map of Saskatoon is a huge improvement. And I have no idea why they didn't draw something like it to begin with; seems so much more logical and obvious than the current proposal. Regina-Pasqua is a mess, though. If you're going to try something like that, put Lakeridge/NW Regina sprawl-land in the Palliser seat and the much denser and more urbanized SW Regina in the urban seat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #885 on: March 28, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »

Wow, 2 NDP seats in Saskatoon? I bet the Tories would just love that Tongue
Krago
« Reply #886 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:45 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2013, 12:31:24 PM by Krago »

That map of Saskatoon is a huge improvement. And I have no idea why they didn't draw something like it to begin with; seems so much more logical and obvious than the current proposal. Regina-Pasqua is a mess, though. If you're going to try something like that, put Lakeridge/NW Regina sprawl-land in the Palliser seat and the much denser and more urbanized SW Regina in the urban seat.

You've got a point, but my intent in Alternative 2 was to keep the existing Palliser and Wascana ridings as unchanged as possible.  Your plan would make the Regina South Centre seat an NDP stronghold, but make Palliser equally good for the Tories.  Alternative 2 would leave both ridings as marginals (which is a lot more fun).

Anyway, here's the alternative alternative map for Regina.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #887 on: April 09, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »

On April 16 the House Committee will finish hearing MPs on the Saskatchewan boundaries. On April 18 they start the first three MPs from Quebec.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #888 on: April 11, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »

On April 16 the House Committee will finish hearing MPs on the Saskatchewan boundaries. On April 18 they start the first three MPs from Quebec.

Whats the feeling coming from the Sask hearings? I've heard the tories have ranged from overt racist comments to feelings of self loathing for dropping the ball (and allowing urban ridings).
When will the Ontario MPs speak? or did i miss that boat
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #889 on: April 11, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »

Whats the feeling coming from the Sask hearings? I've heard the tories have ranged from overt racist comments to feelings of self loathing for dropping the ball (and allowing urban ridings).

After Quebec.
For Saskatchewan, I fully expect a majority report by Tories for rurban ridings approving the dissident report of the commission and a dissident report by NDP/Lib for urban ones approving the majority report of the commission.
Benj

« Reply #890 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »

After Quebec.
For Saskatchewan, I fully expect a majority report by Tories for rurban ridings approving the dissident report of the commission and a dissident report by NDP/Lib for urban ones approving the majority report of the commission.

Not sure the Liberals would join the NDP. They get Wascana either way and have no shot anywhere else. They may prefer rurban ridings to keep the NDP weak.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #891 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

After Quebec.

Not sure the Liberals would join the NDP. They get Wascana either way and have no shot anywhere else. They may prefer rurban ridings to keep the NDP weak.

Goodale backed urban ridings at the House Committee hearings.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #892 on: April 16, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

Parliament is back from their Easter Break, and expect more final reports.

The new map for Newfound/Labrador has been tabled. (4 out 10 provinces are now final)

http://www.redecoupage-federal-redistribution.ca/content.asp?section=nfld&dir=media&document=apr1513&lang=e
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #893 on: April 16, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »

Also, Alberta's page was updated to announce us than one of the commissionners sadly died last month.
Krago
« Reply #894 on: April 17, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »

Part of downtown St. John's had been transferred from St. John's South-Mount Pearl to St. John's East in the Report of the NewLab Commission.  MPs Ryan Cleary and Jack Harris went before the House of Commons committee and politely asked for it to be moved back.  Instead, the Commission split the area, and returned a narrow strip of land below Water Street to SJSMP, but left 92% of the residents of the affected area in SJE.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #895 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »

Was that the only change?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #896 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

Part of downtown St. John's had been transferred from St. John's South-Mount Pearl to St. John's East in the Report of the NewLab Commission.  MPs Ryan Cleary and Jack Harris went before the House of Commons committee and politely asked for it to be moved back.  Instead, the Commission split the area, and returned a narrow strip of land below Water Street to SJSMP, but left 92% of the residents of the affected area in SJE.

Lol, what is the point of that?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #897 on: April 17, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »

No, Bay d'Espoir-Central-Notre Dame became Coast of Bays-Central-Notre Dame.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #898 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »

Oh yeah, I thought that name looked different. Still hate "Central" being in the name.
Benj

« Reply #899 on: April 17, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »

Lol, what is the point of that?

Unites the port in St. John's South-Mount Pearl while maintaining population equality? That's the only reason I can think of.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies