Greece 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:55:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greece 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47
Author Topic: Greece 2012  (Read 221958 times)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: June 17, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »

Where's the CNBC special report? I must have gotten the time wrong.

The Greek people have once again put in a heroic effort. The ball is now in Germany's court.

This government has six months to achieve internal devaluation, fix the current account, balance the primary deficit, and generally meet the targets of the IMF/Troika agreement. F__king around isn't going to do it any more. The success depends on things like opening up the professions (for real, not just passing a law that says 'we'll open the professions' but when you actually see more taxis on the streets), massively slashing government payrolls and government salaries, and the like, instead of enacting new taxes. Cost cuts should be focused on operations, while infrastructure and other projects to boost growth should not be cut.

If you want to see any growth in the future, you’ll have to drop out of EURO and print Drachma again. Then you’ll be able to devalue. It’ll be hard in the beginning, but you’ll return to the path of growth in no more than 2 years.

If you keep EURO you will forever be dependant on future help from Germany and others. You might also recover with EURO, but the recovery will take much longer.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1101 on: June 17, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

Schaüble...

I eagerly wait the day where some politician of another country says him than he is Germany's Finance minister and to stop putting his nose in other countries.

I'm not sure he would like if all foreign finance ministers said him what do to.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1102 on: June 17, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »

Schaüble...

I eagerly wait the day where some politician of another country says him than he is Germany's Finance minister

Ah, no, he is more than that, he is the latest Charlemagne...

...then I guess it makes him feel fully legitimate to tell other people what they have to do anywhere in his empire...
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1103 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »

God, I hope that Hollande manages to mitigate the German austerity.  That is, if he even cares.  Which I'm now getting the sense that he doesn't. 
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1104 on: June 17, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »

God, I hope that Hollande manages to mitigate the German austerity.  That is, if he even cares.  Which I'm now getting the sense that he doesn't. 

Actually I've been kinda surprised of the rather firm tone that Hollande/Ayrault/Moscovici have taken with Germany, became suddenly kinda, tensed.

That being said, a tone is a tone and some words are some words, Sarkozy had used us with so much impressive big words, and...

True things will happen on the end of June, 28th iirc...
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1105 on: June 17, 2012, 08:20:50 PM »

Actually I've been kinda surprised of the rather firm tone that Hollande/Ayrault/Moscovici have taken with Germany, became suddenly kinda, tensed.

That being said, a tone is a tone and some words are some words, Sarkozy had used us with so much impressive big words, and...

Well, he keeps telling Greece that it has to stick to its previous commitments or be kicked out of the eurozone.  Seems like he's sold out to me.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1106 on: June 17, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »

Well, he keeps telling Greece that it has to stick to its previous commitments or be kicked out of the eurozone.  Seems like he's sold out to me.

Nah, there hasn't been something like that, it's not at all the Hollande/new govt style. The point is that Hollande focuses more on building new general rules for the Politico-Economic ruling of Euro Zone rather than on focusing on Greece particularly.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1107 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »

Nah, there hasn't been something like that, it's not at all the Hollande/new govt style. The point is that Hollande focuses more on building new general rules for the Politico-Economic ruling of Euro Zone rather than on focusing on Greece particularly.
The point is that he supports the austerity measures that've already been imposed.  So, he's part of the pro-austerity circles, even if he's more pro-growth than the rest. 
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1108 on: June 17, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »

The point is that he supports the austerity measures that've already been imposed.  So, he's part of the pro-austerity circles, even if he's more pro-growth than the rest. 

That's Hollande, not Mélenchon.

He knows he has to manage Germany well if he wants to obtain something in counterpart, France military became far bigger than German one, but the time where we could think we could rule it by an invasion seems to be kinda over, so, seems we are condemn to, either wait a divine revelation from Germany, or to you know...negotiate...the most smartly possible, which isn't easy when you don't have the dominating position, but if countries like France, Italy, Spain and maybe soon Netherlands decide to unite for new solutions than German diktats, then the outnumbering might make change the things (especially since Euro Zone is the 1st market of Germany).

Hollande and Monti made a summit in this sense a few days ago, to prepare the European one.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1109 on: June 17, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »

Ok has something new changed with the whole PASOK situation? Last I heard they were totally unwilling to enter a coalition without SYRIZA, but all the news channels and the financial markets act like its a done deal.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #1110 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »

Ok has something new changed with the whole PASOK situation? Last I heard they were totally unwilling to enter a coalition without SYRIZA, but all the news channels and the financial markets act like its a done deal.
Venizelos and Samaras need to keep drama going to get better conditions from Troika and to show that Syriza is unwilling to join government.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1111 on: June 18, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

Schaüble...

I eagerly wait the day where some politician of another country says him than he is Germany's Finance minister and to stop putting his nose in other countries.

I'm not sure he would like if all foreign finance ministers said him what do to.

Well it's his business, considering lots of German money is at stake here. Don't like it? That's a problem caused by the EU. It's not as if Schäuble chose Greece to go bankrupt.

Schäuble is certainly one of the more competent people in charge now.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1112 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:43 AM »

I am somewhat relieved about this result from a Swiss point of view. A SYRIZA victory and its dire consequences could have caused an even worse recession in Greece and Europe, which would also have affected my own country (a further deterioration of the European economy = big problems for the Swiss exporting industry = a recession in Switzerland). Now a ND victory and the possible formation of a pro-Euro coalition still don't guarantee an improvement of the current Greek situation, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1113 on: June 18, 2012, 04:52:16 AM »

From Intrade:

Any current Eurozone member to drop out of the Euro by end of 2012: 30.2
by the end of 2013: 50.0
by the end of 2014: 59.1

All three numbers are down from a week ago, but still up quite a bit from a year ago.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1114 on: June 18, 2012, 05:29:01 AM »

Those of you who think German tax payers should pay for the rest of Europe without complaining or demanding anything in return...what principle is that based on?

If you've wasted all your money you can't really expect to get more with no questions asked.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1115 on: June 18, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »

Those of you who think German tax payers should pay for the rest of Europe without complaining or demanding anything in return...what principle is that based on?

If you've wasted all your money you can't really expect to get more with no questions asked.

European unity! And a good portion of jealousy.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1116 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:53 AM »

If that's what "European unity" and "economic integration" is supposed to mean (i.e. some countries work hard to develop and maintain prosperous economies while other countries just waste their money and demand to be supported by the more prosperous members of the European Union) this is a scary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1117 on: June 18, 2012, 06:43:42 AM »

Stupidity...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1118 on: June 18, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »

Thanks for answering Gustaf's question. Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1119 on: June 18, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »

If that's what "European unity" and "economic integration" is supposed to mean (i.e. some countries work hard to develop and maintain prosperous economies while other countries just waste their money and demand to be supported by the more prosperous members of the European Union) this is a scary.

The problem is that that is already what has happened without anyone really realizing it or intending it to be the case.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1120 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »

Sorry, that's the only thing that came to my mind after reading your posts. There's no way to argue with such mind-numbed talking points. It's like arguing with AmericanNation or CaDan.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1121 on: June 18, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »

June 18 (Bloomberg) -- New Democracy leader Antonis Samaras
will meet Pasok head Evangelos Venizelos at 6 p.m.
in Athens today, New Democracy spokesman Chrisostomos Bikatzik
said in a telephone interview today.
     Samaras received a mandate to form a government
from President Karolos Papoulias earlier today after New
Democracy won elections yesterday. Pasok came third in the June
17 poll.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1122 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »

Sorry, that's the only thing that came to my mind after reading your posts. There's no way to argue with such mind-numbed talking points. It's like arguing with AmericanNation or CaDan.

A friendly advice - do not display such an elitist and self-righteous attitude towards people who have a different point of view. It's neither helpful on a forum nor in real life.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1123 on: June 18, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »

Believe me, I don't like to. But I felt the need to express my feelings, because my despair reaches new heights every time I realize how widespread your "views" are.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1124 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »

I, for one, will not make sure an argument.  But such an argument can be made.  It is mostly based on the fact that lots of the Greek and Spanish troubles has its roots in German banks lending to their counterparts in Greece and Spain.  These loans, it turns out, were unsustainable.  While the Greeks and Spanish should take responsbility for this, it takes two sides for a loan to take place.  Where were the due dilgence of German banks?  Like I said, I do not posit this argument but I do feel one can make a case for this point of view.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies