Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:07:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.  (Read 3599 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »

So Since all the GOP candidates love Isreal so much will we see any of them wearing a kippah while lighting candels on a menorah?

I bet no.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2011/12/president-obama-defends-israel-policy-again-107852.html

The same thing could be said for Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »

Ok.
M

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

Relevance?

Hanukkah is around the same time as Christmas, but it is not nearly as important a holiday. Jewish voters are not going to stop paying attention to politics on Hannukah the way Christian voters will on Christmas and New Years.

I suppose some candidate could gain some minor support with a tasteful event at a Des Moines or Manchester synagogue. But no one expects or insists on it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »

It's not even the most important Jewish holiday.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »

American Jews celebrate it much more heavily because it takes place around the same time as Christmas and Jewish parents don't want their kids to get jealous of their Gentile neighbors.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

American Jews celebrate it much more heavily because it takes place around the same time as Christmas and Jewish parents don't want their kids to get jealous of their Gentile neighbors.

Heck, a good chunk of them have just given up and decided to celebrate Christmas.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »

One Republican has it covered:

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's not even in the top 10 or so holidays. But whatever. Everybody likes lights and presents. I see no need for a President to fake it. None of the contenders are Jewish. None of them need to light a menorah. It's stupid pandering when people do crap like Perry in the above pic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

That pic looks like a bunch of Jewish Amish brethren or some cocktail like that...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

The ultra-Orthodox have a very strange but consistent look. Go to the right parts of Brooklyn and you'll see them (including some of my relatives) all over, looking just like that. Heck, drive down certain streets in Memphis on Saturday morning and you'll see them walking to synagogue. Don't know how they manage in the black suits in July.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »

The ultra-Orthodox have a very strange but consistent look. Go to the right parts of Brooklyn and you'll see them (including some of my relatives) all over, looking just like that. Heck, drive down certain streets in Memphis on Saturday morning and you'll see them walking to synagogue. Don't know how they manage in the black suits in July.

I figured it was an orthodox wardrobe.  Considering I've only been to New York City once in my life to see a Reds/Mets game at the old Shea Stadium, and I've only driven through Memphis on my way to Norfolk, Virginia then I wouldn't know the dress.  There aren't too many orthodox in Oklahoma City.

And, yeah, I can only imagine the warmth they must feel in July. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2011, 10:26:58 AM by memphis »

I figured it was an orthodox wardrobe.  Considering I've only been to New York City once in my life to see a Reds/Mets game at the old Shea Stadium, and I've only driven through Memphis on my way to Norfolk, Virginia then I wouldn't know the dress.  There aren't too many orthodox in Oklahoma City.

There aren't that many in Memphis. That was kind of my point. Even in my smaller town, they're around. I did a google search and there's an orthodox synagogue in OKC. It's called Ohev Shalom and it's at 3901 N. Portland Ave. Drive by around 9 AM on Saturday morning. I bet you'll see people dressed like in the picture.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

I figured it was an orthodox wardrobe.  Considering I've only been to New York City once in my life to see a Reds/Mets game at the old Shea Stadium, and I've only driven through Memphis on my way to Norfolk, Virginia then I wouldn't know the dress.  There aren't too many orthodox in Oklahoma City.

There aren't that many in Memphis. That was kind of my point. Even in my smaller town, they're around. I did a google search and there's an orthodox synagogue in OKC. It's called Ohev Shalom and it's at 3901 N. Portland Ave. Drive by around 9 AM on Saturday morning. I bet you'll see people dressed like in the picture.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  It's several miles from where I live, and I don't drive up that way unless I have to.

I wonder what they do with their hats when the Oklahoma wind throws its temper tantrums and gusts over 50 mph.  I would be interested to find out how many hats are lost on those days.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »

Beyond that; it's one of the least important.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

It seems kind of odd for one of the least important Jewish holidays to coincide with one of Christianity's most important holidays (second only to Easter).  I guess that's on purpose so as to not overshadow or short-circuit the importance of Christmas.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »

It seems kind of odd for one of the least important Jewish holidays to coincide with one of Christianity's most important holidays (second only to Easter).  I guess that's on purpose so as to not overshadow or short-circuit the importance of Christmas.
Uh, our holiday is way older than yours, unless you're counting the pagan roots of Christmas, which is the only reason you celebrate on Dec 25 anyway. And Jews don't take Christianity into account when we're scheduling our holidays.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »

Uh, our holiday is way older than yours, unless you're counting the pagan roots of Christmas, which is the only reason you celebrate on Dec 25 anyway. And Jews don't take Christianity into account when we're scheduling our holidays.
It's only about a century and a half older than the birth of Jesus, IIRC.  Which might sound like a lot, but historiographically speaking, it's not.  And as you point out, the Winter Solstice was celebrated by Germanic tribes centuries before the Jews began Hanukkah.

Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »

Another reason why dressing up for any type of religious service is a terrible thing and a practice that needs to go away entirely. I like the summer services where I go because it has a ton of cute girls and they're often wearing sex sundresses or miniskirts, very nice. Smiley Of course now when it's cold that means a lot are wearing those cute hipster scarves, so it works out too.

Don't Orthodox Jewish services also have segregated genders like mosques? Ugh.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »

I guess that's on purpose so as to not overshadow or short-circuit the importance of Christmas.

No, it's not.  Don't be stupid.  We couldn't care less about your holiday.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »

I guess that's on purpose so as to not overshadow or short-circuit the importance of Christmas.

No, it's not.  Don't be stupid.  We couldn't care less about your holiday.

I know, I was just teasing, don't get all worked up. Smiley  Anyway, I do wish all my Jewish friends a Happy Hanukkah.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »

Another reason why dressing up for any type of religious service is a terrible thing and a practice that needs to go away entirely. I like the summer services where I go because it has a ton of cute girls and they're often wearing sex sundresses or miniskirts, very nice. Smiley Of course now when it's cold that means a lot are wearing those cute hipster scarves, so it works out too.

Yes, orthodox synagogues are designed so that men can't see the women during services. The idea is that you shouldn't be distracted by sundresses or whatever while you're praying. Not that an orthodox woman would wear a sundress anyway. They're covered from throat to toe  (minus hands) anytime they're outside anyway. Plus their hair will be obscured under either a wig or headscarf once they're married, which happens at about age 19.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »

Yes, orthodox synagogues are designed so that men can't see the women during services. The idea is that you shouldn't be distracted by sundresses or whatever while you're praying. Not that an orthodox woman would wear a sundress anyway. They're covered from throat to toe  (minus hands) anytime they're outside anyway. Plus their hair will be obscured under either a wig or headscarf once they're married, which happens at about age 19.

See this is why I'd never visit a mosque or orthodox synagogue. Ever.

Today was kind of weird though, it was our special Christmas service (since on actual Christmas day much of the congregation would be visiting family), so it was quite different in style and we had an actual choir and there were people who didn't normally come, including a lot more olds. Many of them dressed up. Some people even wearing TIES. The first time I've ever seen someone in a tie besides the obvious hipster wearing a tie "ironically" type thing. I'm a little worried about where I'm going on Christmas Eve now and if there will be more ties than hoodies and torn jeans.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »

See this is why I'd never visit a mosque or orthodox synagogue. Ever.

Today was kind of weird though, it was our special Christmas service (since on actual Christmas day much of the congregation would be visiting family), so it was quite different in style and we had an actual choir and there were people who didn't normally come, including a lot more olds. Many of them dressed up. Some people even wearing TIES. The first time I've ever seen someone in a tie besides the obvious hipster wearing a tie "ironically" type thing. I'm a little worried about where I'm going on Christmas Eve now and if there will be more ties than hoodies and torn jeans.

I'm one of the few guys out there who actually PREFERS to wear a suit and tie to Sunday Morning Worship.  I normally don't do that, because nobody in our church does, but once in a while I do especially on Easter and the Fourth of July and sometimes Christmas.  I actually plan to wear a suit Christmas Morning, why? Because I want to.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »

Heck, a good chunk of them have just given up and decided to celebrate Christmas.

Well. if the Christians can't "get" Judaism, then at least they have Jesus.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies