Should Horse Slaughterhouses be legal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Horse Slaughterhouses be legal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Horse Slaughterhouses be legal
yes(D)

yes(R)

yes(I)

no(D)

no(R)

no(I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Should Horse Slaughterhouses be legal  (Read 5680 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:05 AM »

Many animals are registered. Horses might be already for all I know, though in either case it probably depends on the locality. Targeting breeders (or those who profit from them, like race tracks) shouldn't be terribly difficult. It wouldn't be perfect (we still have puppy mills, for example) but it would be an improvement.

And I'll keep giving you the amount of respect you deserve. I don't mind being out in the open with my opinions. I guess I could be coward like you and just subtly attack everyone who disagrees with me, but pathetic little weasel isn't my style.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 01:19:41 AM »

I don't really like the idea, no, but I don't have a very well developed opinion on this issue. I do, at least, think society has better uses for horses than eating them. I don't think you could say the same about cows or chickens or fish, which is why I don't really buy into the comparisons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »

I don't really like the idea, no, but I don't have a very well developed opinion on this issue. I do, at least, think society has better uses for horses than eating them.
glue?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 02:42:22 AM »

As long as all sorts of other animals are slaughtered, I don't see why we should make an exception for horses.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:53:44 AM »

As an old friend of mine would ask, what about burros?
LBJer
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »

I don't really like the idea, no, but I don't have a very well developed opinion on this issue. I do, at least, think society has better uses for horses than eating them. I don't think you could say the same about cows or chickens or fish

A great many people in India would strongly disagree with you on cows
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

From an animal rights point of view, slaughtering horses should be much less a problem than slaughtering pigs or chickens.

Horses are not fatten to be slaughtered as most other animals, but they are used for other reasons (sports, police...), and only some of them are killed (for several reasons) and than slaugthered. They live a longer and probably a little more joyful live.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

I don't really like the idea, no, but I don't have a very well developed opinion on this issue. I do, at least, think society has better uses for horses than eating them. I don't think you could say the same about cows or chickens or fish

I don't count superstition as legitimate reason for anything.
LBJer
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »

How is that any more a "superstition" than, say, the belief that the bread and wine used for Communion become the body and blood of Jesus?  Both things are religious beliefs, not matters of fact.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

You guys have given me a new obsession - to eat horse.  Difficult to accomplish here in Asia, and it is too expensive to go Europe.  ooo frustrating.
Link
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2011, 07:38:49 PM by Link »

You guys are some sickos. No way should horse meat be legal.

What about the leather they make my expensive shoes from?  Where do you think that comes from?  The horse hide fairy?  Just because you slaughter a horse doesn't mean you have to eat it.  You can enjoy it's body parts in different ways.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »

What about the leather they make my expensive shoes from?  Where do you think that comes from?  The horse hide fairy?  Just because you slaughter a horse doesn't mean you have to eat it.  You can enjoy it's body parts in different ways.

Are you trying to make it sound like you make love to horse corpses? Gross.
Link
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »

What about the leather they make my expensive shoes from?  Where do you think that comes from?  The horse hide fairy?  Just because you slaughter a horse doesn't mean you have to eat it.  You can enjoy it's body parts in different ways.

Are you trying to make it sound like you make love to horse corpses? Gross.

I'm being over the top.  But seriously I think it's odd we celebrate a good steak or burger but eating a horse is illegal?  I don't find the thought of eating horse meat appealing but our European friends do it all the time.  In a truly democratic country you would let people that want to eat it eat it and let the rest of us sit quietly in disgust.  Making the slaughter illegal is a bizarre over reaction.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »

You guys have given me a new obsession - to eat horse.  Difficult to accomplish here in Asia, and it is too expensive to go Europe.  ooo frustrating.

I don't know about horse, but donkey is widely eaten in China.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »

From an animal rights point of view, slaughtering horses should be much less a problem than slaughtering pigs or chickens.

Horses are not fatten to be slaughtered as most other animals, but they are used for other reasons (sports, police...), and only some of them are killed (for several reasons) and than slaugthered. They live a longer and probably a little more joyful live.
Exactly.

I also regret the relatively recent outlawing (in those few US states where it wasn't before) cockfighting. Even a fighting cock killed in his first fight has led a many times longer, many times happier life than your fried chicken.

Note: Horse is not "widely" eaten in Germany. But it is available in many regions. And the horse sausages I have had have been very nice, and actually not so very different from Frankfurter Rindswurst.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »

Ah, but live cows have value for dairy as well as as draught animals. Even their sh!t is valuable. Not many people drink horse's milk (though Mongols and Tatars do, probably other people as well. And horse sh!t too has its uses.)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »

I also regret the relatively recent outlawing (in those few US states where it wasn't before) cockfighting. Even a fighting cock killed in his first fight has led a many times longer, many times happier life than your fried chicken.

The reason to ban cockfighting is not the welfare of the gamecocks, but the welfare of the people.  That said, I wouldn't be opposed to cockfighting if the cocks used their natural spurs instead of the metal ones fitted to them.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

Have we found the rare social issue that has Republicans, Euros and logic on the same side against Democrats and their emotions.
I see that the there has been a bunch of Yes (D) votes, good job.  I'm still waiting to see one of the "no"s properly defend their vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »

Since we slaughter cows, pigs, chicken etc., there's not reason we shouldn't slaughter horses too, if there are people who like horse meat.

That said, I fail to understand why some people tend to think it's an even remotely important issue.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »

Ha!
I despise cockfighting, but you are definitely right. Same is true for the Corrida.

Note: Horse is not "widely" eaten in Germany. But it is available in many regions. And the horse sausages I have had have been very nice, and actually not so very different from Frankfurter Rindswurst.

We had a Fondue at my uncles in the Mosel area (he had to look for a horse butcher's shop, but found one in a small town near Trier) with horse meat and beef a few weeks ago, and the horse definitely "won".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »

we hadad a Fondue at my uncles in the Mosel area (he had to look for a horse butcher's shop, but found one in a small town near Trier) with horse meat and beef a few weeks ago, and the horse definitely "won".

cool - can you explain the difference in taste/texture?

republicanism
Germany

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »

we hadad a Fondue at my uncles in the Mosel area (he had to look for a horse butcher's shop, but found one in a small town near Trier) with horse meat and beef a few weeks ago, and the horse definitely "won".

cool - can you explain the difference in taste/texture?

The horse had, as expected, less fat. But I was surprised that the horse was also more tender.

Not easy for me to explain the taste in English. Think of beef, with a little bit of game in it. Stronger and more explicit (?).

It was nice to look at, too: While the beef was of deep right, the horse was of a slighter red and very fine marbled.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »

Gamier would be the word, presumably?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »

I had horse meat the other week. Surprisingly good, I must say.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies