I'm going to the US (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm going to the US (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm going to the US  (Read 4931 times)
Wonkish1

« on: December 20, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
« edited: December 20, 2011, 02:13:40 AM by Wonkish1 »

A tip: if you are only going to be in D.C for a few days, don't try to blitz every historical thing in the town.  Between the Mall and the monuments, the museums, Capitol Hill and the White House, not to mention all of the good local stuff you seem so keen on, you need at least a week.

This is coming from a guy who tried to see the entire city in two and a half days.  Damn budget! Angry

^^^^^ I'll second this.

My first trip to DC many, many years ago was this pre packaged trip for kids at my school. Being rushed from one site to another just ruins the whole experience.

I do know that if you want to tour the White House be prepared to spend a half day waiting in line unless you have a relationship with someone that is capable of bringing you to the front of it. Depending on your time limitations it may not be worth it if you can't pull off a connection like that.

I don't know if the FBI is still doing tours, but I've heard that is pretty cool.

Williamsburg is pretty cool as well. Its a little out of the way, but the town is very pretty. The history there is interesting, but that isn't the sole reason. Just enjoying the food, beer, etc. in the old colonial town is a good way to spend an afternoon to evening.

Also, from experience taking a small plane ride over the Hamptons is pretty amazing.

And don't show up in Hell's Kitchen right at dinner time with no reservations you'll have trouble finding a decent restaurant anywhere that wont have you waiting a pretty damn long time.

That's about all I've got. I haven't been to either city that many times.
Wonkish1

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:05:20 AM »

You should visit the top of a tall building (since you don't really have those in Sweden), sample as many American microbrews, and sleep with as many people as possible.

I look down on your tall buildings and American "beer" is something to be ridiculed. Won't mind your women though. Wink

You have to try smaller, less known breweries than the ones everyone thinks of when saying "American beer". Budweiser, Miller, etc. are obviously a waste of hops....but believe me, as a half-German, American microbrews, and even a few larger outfits (e.g. Samuel Adams) are quite good. Might I suggest IPAs from a few microbreweries. I absolutely love them.

German beer on average, obviously, is a good deal better. There's nothing near as bad as Budweiser and co., but there's also not a lot quite unique as what I mentioned above Smiley

Agreed, and German beer is still the best in the world IMO. And lets be honest the best microbrews(in the US) are in the Midwest(which Gustaf isn't going to be) and that includes Illinois. I was only moderately impressed with what there was brewed in New York and so I mostly spent my time there ordering imports from other places.

Also, I never understood the recent IPA craze. I'll really drink anything, but deliberately ordering a beer known for its bitterness never really appealed to me.

On a different note, my German friend has told me that in Europe they have Bananaweizen(can't get that here). I love wheat beers and there is a banana bread beer that is making the rounds in the US today(that is pretty good, but a little to much desert for me to have more than a couple), but I think Banana wheat would be awesome. I would be curious if Gustaf has ever had that before, and if so what his thoughts are on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies