|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Like?
Yes

No

Goodbye

Hello

I did not get the above Beatles reference option.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: 1960  (Read 6133 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:06 AM »

(inspired by a mocumentary movie)
I suck at finishing these so I'll keep it short.

September 26, 1960

Mr. Smith: Good evening, tonight we are here to discuss domestic issues with the Democratic Candidate, Vice President Nixon, and the Republican Candidate, Senator Kennedy...Senator Kennedy shall give the his opening statement.

Kennedy: Mr. Smith, Mr. Nixon. In the election of 1860, Abraham Lincoln said the question was whether this nation could exist half-slave or half-free. In the election of 1960, and with the world around us, the question is whether the world will exist half-slave or half-free, whether it will move in the direction of freedom, in the direction of the road that we are taking, or whether it will move in the direction of slavery. I think it will depend in great measure upon what we do here in the Confederacy...

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »

Ooh...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

Neither California nor Massachusetts were in the CSA. Butterflies have the families moving to the South?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

I should probably expand more on the history of this CSA later. After the English and French join the war, the end up taking the north .
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »

*A little history of the CSA*

In 1862 The Army of Northern Virginia clashed with the Army of the Potomac near Sharpsburg Maryland, crushing McClellan's forces and forcing back to defend Washington. This victory was enough to convince the British and French to intervene.

By mid 1863 Washington had fallen and Lincoln had fled north vowing to continue the fight. General Pickett's division was responsible for the destruction of much of New York as they began their infamous March to the Lakes, starting with burning down New York City.

On April 17th, 1864 Lincoln along with several cabinet members were found in a small house outside of Springfield Illinois by CS Cavalry and were placed under arrest for war crimes. Lincoln was pardoned by President Davis several months later in an attempt to help re-unify the nation. Lincoln spent the rest of his life in exile in Canada.

To pay for rebuilding the north and in an attempt to bring the north and south together, people in the former Union states were given the option of either paying an income tax or purchasing as slave.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »

Um, the motives of the CSA were to separate from the North and protect slavery, which had more representation in Congress. Conquering the north would defeat that purpose.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »

I guess I know your inspiration, Jbrase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH58-UN_ANM
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »

That movie was pretty funny....but WWII would have gone differently, I think. I think the CSA would have still fought against Japan, but would have allied with Germany instead. I think WWII would have been

France, UK, Japan and USSR against Italy, Germany and the US. That would have probably been a lot closer war, I think.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

October 3rd, 1960

Nixon at a rally in Ohio:

A Nixon administration shall stand with our closest ally, South Africa. I fear Kennedy would fail to stand shoulder to shoulder with South Africa and let it become over run by communists, or even god forbid, native Africans. I am the only candidate with the courage to stand up to those abolitionist Canadians. I shall start by re-enforcing The Cotton Curtain, doubling our border patrol!

Gallup poll:
Who do you plan on voting for President?
Nixon (D) - 44%
Kennedy (R) - 39%
undecided - 17%

Do you support the institution of slavery?
Yes - 28%
No - 42%
Not sure - 30%
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »

Key Campaign issues
-Cold War with Canada: Nixon take hardline position/Kennedy is neutral

-NAACP Terrorists: Both support pressuring Canada to extradite NAACP leaders to face trial.

-Future of slavery: Nixon is strong supporter of modernizing slavery/Kennedy is reluctant to touch the issue.

-Giving Women the vote: Nixon opposes/ Kennedy supports.

-Aid to South Africa: Nixon wants to continue military and financial aid to SA/ Kennedy would like to see reduction in military aid

-Insurgency in Vietnamese colony: Nixon promises to bring a quick end to Vietnamese insurgency/ Kennedy wants to begin talks with the insurgents as the war has become very unpopular.

-Rock'n Roll music: Nixon supports nation-wide ban on this "abolitionist music" coming across from Canada/ Kennedy states he does not like the music, but to ban it goes against Confederate principals and will anger the youth.

-Joining the Polish in their Iraq Campaign: Nixon fully supports colonizing the middle-east/ Kennedy has come out against entagling the CSA in another bloody conflict.

The Jewish/Mormon Reservations: Nixon supports the status quo/ Kennedy would support allowing Jews to live outside of Long Island, supports Keeping the Mormons on their Utah/Idaho reservations.

A map of the country with current polls:

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »

October 3rd, 1960

Nixon at a rally in Ohio:

A Nixon administration shall stand with our closest ally, South Africa. I fear Kennedy would fail to stand shoulder to shoulder with South Africa and let it become over run by communists, or even god forbid, native Africans. I am the only candidate with the courage to stand up to those abolitionist Canadians. I shall start by re-enforcing The Cotton Curtain, doubling our border patrol!

Gallup poll:
Who do you plan on voting for President?
Nixon (D) - 44%
Kennedy (R) - 39%
undecided - 17%

Do you support the institution of slavery?
Yes - 28%
No - 42%
Not sure - 30%

A few things:

First, a Republican Party exists in the Confederacy?

Second, an Irish Catholic Republican Presidential nominee?  In 1960?

Man, the CSA Democratic Party must suck a hummer.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They still exist, but since the War of Northern Aggression there has been no GOP presidents or Yankee presidents but with support for slavery slipping to all time lows, and Nixon sucking as a candidate, this election became somewhat competitive.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »

Good stuff. I enjoyed that movie, and I think this is a fun scenario. I wish the movie would've touched up on what was happening in Canada. I think Canada would have seen a lot more immigration, and would probably rival the US in terms of population.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »

Here is a map where slavery is still supported:
Green wants to abolish, red supports it, grey is is where undecided is a plurality.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They still exist, but since the War of Northern Aggression there has been no GOP presidents or Yankee presidents but with support for slavery slipping to all time lows, and Nixon sucking as a candidate, this election became somewhat competitive.

Well I imagine without northern blacks voting it'd be a little easier than IRL.  However, considering that the Republicans nominated an Irish Catholic for President that must mean that the Democratic Party might have more trouble winning states like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island that shifted Democratic IRL due to immigration (and other factors).  Do they counterbalance this by appealing to the American West and the High Plains where the rural folks live?
I'm guessing, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but based off of what I've read so far the average electoral map (assuming the Republicans never won an election since Lincoln) looks like this:

Where green represents swing states.
I assume, given the unpopularity of slavery, the map would probably be a lot more blue and green in certain areas of the country.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »

The Post-Bellum years

In an effort to re-unify the nation, and despite fierce opposition by the nativists, Congress passed the Freedom of Religion Act in 1879. This act established that any christian shall have freedom to practice their faith. Despite very vocal opposition Catholics were, after much debate, included as Christians in the act. The Jewish were forced to either live on their Long Island reservation or face deportation. Mormons were given a similar choice with Utah carved out as a reservation, many states outlawed them as a heretical cult.

With all the efforts to bring the CSA together, literature and plays couldn't help but be influenced, ushering in an era of art, literature, and music that focused on national unity and reminded all Americans, regardless of religion or of what country they immigrated from, that they all shared a proud white heritage. This era largely eased tensions between catholics and protestants,  though there would always be a vocal WASP minority who would never accept them as true Christians.

When the war began coming to a close Congress began passing a series of reforms. The 1st was to re-establish presidential presidential elections, as they were before the war, every four years but now making Washington's tradition of 2 terms law, The first election under to be held in 1864, where Davis sought re-election and won with over 60% of the vote. Other reforms included the passage of the Yellow Act, signed into law by President Vance in 1879, which would begin the enslavement of everyone of Asian ethnicity.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »

jbrase asked me to do some Canadian history for his timeline.

I'll just do the provincial populations for the 1961 census.

AB - 4 million
BC - 6.5 mil
MB - 3.5 mil
NB - 6 mil
NF - 1 mil
NS - 7 mil
ON - 25 mil
PE - 200 thou.
QC - 10.5 mil
SK - 3.5 mil

Territories:
NT: 70,000
YT: 60,000

Total: 67 mil (aprox), which would likely rival a much less populated US which would not be a popular destination for immigrants.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2012, 07:44:56 PM by Jbrase »

Election Day:

7:00pm

The first states begin reporting results -

Georgia and South Carolina are called for Nixon right away, as is Vermont for Kennedy.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »

by 7:30 several other states began reporting and Kentucky was called for Nixon.

Nationwide Nixon held a small lead over Kennedy 52.34%-47.66%

On NBC:
Chet Huntley - "Tonight millions of proud Americans will find out if after nearly a century, and Yankee will be elected to the highest office in the land. In the closing days of the campaign Senator Nixon made good on his promise to campaign in all 48 states, though some wonder if he spent too much time in places he will not will while neglecting key battle ground states. Kennedy's largest obstacle, aside from being from MA, will be convincing the undecided voters that his views are not too liberal for the mainstream and that he will be a strong leader who will stand up to Canada and the NAACP terrorists they harbor."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »

Will we eventually get a list of Confederate Presidents leading from 1860 to 1960? And, if I recall correctly, why did JFK mention Lincoln of all people, a man who can't bring up good connotations in the current nation?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

Will we eventually get a list of Confederate Presidents leading from 1860 to 1960? And, if I recall correctly, why did JFK mention Lincoln of all people, a man who can't bring up good connotations in the current nation?
I'll make the lest when this is done. And as for Lincoln, well the times they are a changing Wink
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »

As 8:00 rolled around a large number of states began reporting results, several called right away. Mississippi, normally would be called withing moments of polls closing, in and upset has Independent Conservative candidate Paul Johnson Jr. of MS giving Nixon a tough fight for MS's vote. Johnson a hardline conservative Democrat decided to run in protest of there being no true southerner to vote for.

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »

As 9:00 roles around the race is tightening up. Because of Johnson being on the ballot, Louisiana is too close to call with Kennedy winning the Catholic Cajuns while Nixon and Johnson fighting for the protestant vote.

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »

As the final states begin reporting, it becomes clear that this conest will be decided in the west.

Current PV: Nixon ahead 49-48-2
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies