German President Wulff to resign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:30:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German President Wulff to resign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German President Wulff to resign  (Read 8971 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
« edited: December 19, 2011, 10:42:11 AM by Gays made America strong »

I think the SPD's chances are a bit overestimated here. On the third ballot, a SPD candidate would still need to win more votes than a CDU candidate.

Together, CDU/CSU and FDP have between 622 and 624 votes.

SPD and Greens have between 475 and 477 votes. Throw the Left in and you're at 600-602. Together with the Free Voters, the Pirates, and the SSW you'd reach 613-615.

Assuming that SPD, Greens, Left, Free Voters, Pirates, and SSW could agree on a single candidate for the third ballot, this candidate would still have to swing a couple of CDU/FDP votes.

It's correct that Joachim Gauck managed to swing more than just a couple of votes from the CDU.  But people are quick to forget that the members of the Left would rather cut off one of their hands than to vote for Gauck. If the SPD would run someone like Gauck, you'd instantly lose 125 votes again and you're back at 490, at best. That's not even close to a majority.

So the SPD would have to find a candidate who could get the (almost?) unanimous support of the Left as well as a significant number of CDU/FDP members. Can't think of anyone right now.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 11:48:15 AM by Gays made America strong »

If Merkel were smart (and gave a sh!t about anything), she'd run Klaus Töpfer BTW. After all, Klaus Töpfer was one of the guest speakers at a Green federal congress this year.

And if SPD/Greens were even smarter than Merkel, they'd run with Töpfer. But this would probaly mean we'll be stuck with Schäuble as CDU candidate (and president) in the end. Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

Speculation has emerged whether Wullff will hold the presidential Christmas adress this year and if so, whether he'll mention the ongoing debate regarding his person.

"My dear citizens, many things have been reported these past days regarding my person. But let me assure you: I'm not crook." Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:48:35 AM »

New revelations in the Wulff affair:

Apparently, the president had personally called the editor-in-chief of the BILD newspaper and threatened him with criminal charges in order to prevent the story from getting published in the first place.

Great, now he has every journalist in the country against him. Is Wulff truly f**ked now? Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2012, 12:48:28 PM by Gays made America strong »

Statement by the President's office: The president holds the freedom of press in high regard. And no comment on private phone calls made by him.

Statement by BILD: The reports regarding Wulffs's phone call are in fact true, but they chose not to report it themselves because the president had privately apologized for it a couple of days later.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »

My favorite quotes of the day... Cheesy

Stefan Aust, former editor-in-chief of the SPIEGEL magazine: "Wulff is on a political suicide mission".

Erwin Lotter, FDP Bundestag member: "I'm ashamed that I have voted for him."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »

Today's presidential story is that Merkel's coalition is allegedly discussing potential successors in case Wulff resigns.

Top candidates are supposedly Klaus Töpfer (first environment minister, then housing minister under Helmut Kohl, later head of the UN Environmental Programme) and Norbert Lammert (current president of the Bundestag).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

I find it hilarious that everyone is already busy with discussing potential successors, while Wulff himself still shows no intention of resigning. Cheesy
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »

Wulff needs to go. I don't think he'll resign...but he's a disgrace to this office.

At least he has recently supplied us with (already classic) lines like "presidents are entitled to human rights too!".

I wonder why Nixon never tried that defense. Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »

We have finally reached the next level: In an effort to start a criminal investigation, the public prosecutor's office in Hannover has requested that the German Bundestag should lift Christian Wulff's immunity as president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/prosecutors-urge-parliament-to-lift-immunity-of-german-president-amid-scandal/2012/02/16/gIQAp2X7HR_story.html
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

We have finally reached the next level: In an effort to start a criminal investigation, the public prosecutor's office in Hannover has requested that the German Bundestag should lift Christian Wulff's immunity as president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/prosecutors-urge-parliament-to-lift-immunity-of-german-president-amid-scandal/2012/02/16/gIQAp2X7HR_story.html

I don't understand why the CDU and Merkel don't force this man to step down.

They could have at any given time. The disadvantages of doing it have just outweighed the advantages... so far.

In any case, it's probably time for some Lethal Weapon 2 parodies: Presidential immunity - REVOKED! Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »

Wulff has just resigned, effective immediately.

Bavarian PM Horst Seehofer (CSU) becomes acting president.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »

Two protestants from former East Germany as president and chancellor?

This is the final defeat of the West German establishment. Tongue
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

But only for a few weeks. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies