A Grand Old Whig
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:03:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Grand Old Whig
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Should this continue?
Yes

No

Hell NO

I don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Grand Old Whig  (Read 7622 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
« edited: December 19, 2011, 09:04:15 PM by Jerseyrules »

United States House of Representatives elections, 1854:

Whigs: 174 (+13)
Democrats: 44 (-8)
Free Soil: 10 (-3)
Independent: 2 (-2)

Incumbent Speaker: Robert C. Winthrop (W-MA)
Speaker-elect: Robert C. Winthrop (W-MA)

Incumbent Minority Leader: William Aiken, Jr. (D-SC) - defeated
Minority Leader-elect: James Orr (D-SC)

United States Senate elections, 1854:

Whig: 44 (+9)
Democrat: 16 (-6)
Free Soil: 10 (+1)

Incumbent Pres. Pro Tem.: William Seward (W-NY)
Pres. Pro Tem. elect: William H. Seward (W-NY)

*The Other 4 senate gains came from the freshmen from MN and OR.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »

03-04-1857: President Fillmore is sworn in for a record third term.  It remains to be seen whether the Court-packing plan will be his undoing; for now it appears to have left him unscathed.  The third consecutive election in which the Whigs have gained seats in both houses of Congress, and the third consecutive presidential election won by a Whig; the only Whig who was not a war hero to win a presidential election, President Fillmore's second term is going to be remembered throughout history.

04-09-1857: The Congress submits the seventh consecutive balanced budget, all of which Fillmore can take credit for.  President Fillmore truly unified the Whigs and nearly destroyed the Democratic Party...  He proposes further tariff decreases to take the United States to a record low of 10%.  This is even lower than those under the Polk administration.  It easily passes the Whig-dominated Congress, and when it reaches the president's desk he plucks out all the earmarks of higher rates on certain items.

05-12-1857: The President goes on a "goodwill tour"; this will likely be his final term in office, and he pushes for reciprocity with Germany as a token of American appreciation.  This uncontrovercial legislation passes within two hours and is signed immediately.
06-12-1857: President Fillmore calls for the phasing out (and slow privatization of) the Postal Service, to be complete by 1877.  The bill, which states that the postal service will operate privately (with 50% of expenses covered by the US government the first 10 years, down to 30% of covered until 1877, and the department eliminated immediately) by 1877.

06-29-1857: President Fillmore finalizes his new Cabinet:

Third Fillmore Cabinet

Vice President: Abraham Lincoln
Secretary of State: Nathaniel Prentice Brooks
Secretary of War: Winfield Scott
Secretary of Navy: Martin Van Buren
Secretary of the Treasury: Rick Paul
Attorney General: John Bell
Postmaster General: department eliminated
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »

09-19-1857: President Fillmore participates in the creation of the Conservative Party of New York, praised by Justice Buckley, who calls the new party "revolutionary."  The new party will cross-endorse or nominate its own candidate, and advocates a platform similar to the policies of the Fillmore administration.

02-13-1858: President Fillmore begins to shore up support for his vice president, Abraham Lincoln to be elected in 1860.  He hopes Lincoln will continue his policies.

01-23-1859: Vice President Lincoln announces his intention to run for President in 1860.  He, along with Seward, are among the favorites for the nomination

02-14-1859: The United States surpasses the Russian Empire to become the third largest economy in the world.

03-21-1858: In a surprise move, Secretary of War Winfield Scott declairs himself a candidate for the Whig nomination.  More minor candidates clear the field for these three heavyweights
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 09:46:58 PM by Jerseyrules »

04-12-1859: Millard Fillmore has remained silent on his endorsement.  Privately, he favors Lincoln on a personal level but Scott on policy.

05-09-1859: The Whig elders are still unsure of who to nominate.  Gallup releases a poll:

Lincoln vs. Douglas vs. Breckinridge

Lincoln vs. Breckinridge:

234 vs. 69

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

Breckinridge announces that if he does not win the Democratic nomination, he will stage a walkout with all the other delegates at the convention.

Scott vs. Douglas vs. Breckinridge

Scott vs. Breckinridge

249 vs. 44

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »

House of representatives elections, 1858:

Whig: 159 (-15)
Democrat: 58 (+12)
Free Soil: 6 (-4)
Independent: 2 (-/+)
Conservative: 7 (+7)

United States senate elections, 1858:

Whig: 42 (-2)
Democrat: 17 (+1)
Free Soil: 10 (-/+)
Conservative: 1 (+1)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »

06-11-1860: After the third round of balloting, Lincoln drops out and releases his delegates to Scott.  Scott is also endorsed by Seward.  On the first ballot, Lincoln is unanimously renominated for vice president and Seward is promised a cabinet position of his choice; he picks State.

07-03-1860: The Democratic Convention doesn't go so smoothly.  After 369 rounds of ballotting, John C. Breckinridge and all the other southern delegates walk out of the Democratic convention, and nominate Breckinridge for president and Daniel S. Dickenson for Vice President.  This walkout allows Douglas to claim the Democratic nomination easily.  Herschel V. Johnson of Georgia is nominated for Vice President.

09-21-1860: President Lincoln has been campaigning tirelessly for Scott throughout the nation.  He hasn't stopped riding trains, shaking hands, and kissing babies since the convention in June.  But his efforts are paying off; most polls show Scott ahead of Douglas and Breckinridge by 44-26-20 with the rest undecided.

10-02-1860: Although many believe that Scott is too old for president, a poll taken shows that 74% of voters believe that age should not be an issue for a presidential candidate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »

...So Fillmore has taken the Whigs in a Conservative direction, as opposed to the more Progressive direction to normally be expected? After all, the Whigs were the party of the U.S. Bank, internal improvements, government programs, etc. I'm wondering how the Democrats respond ideologically. Will they go the opposite direction of Jackson and Jefferson and begin to support more government programs in order to be in opposition to the newer more Conservative Whigs? Or will the nation in general move to the Right and merely have a "Right-wing party" versus a "less right-wing party"?

Also, this was made before your most recent post. How does the old man Scott win nomination against someone like Lincoln?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »

10-19-1860: The three candidates for president agree to debate in front of a live audience.  There are many tough questions asked and answered for all three candidates, and the undecided voters mainly flock to Scott and Douglas, because although Breckinridge is a great debator, he appears very angry and comes off as unlikeable and out-of-touch.  The highlight of the debate is when Breckinridge asks angrily, "Old man, what the hell do you think you're doing running for president!  You were too old eight years ago, and your own party didn't even want you!  And another thing-"

Scott had prepared for this, and quickly responded, "Look, I won't make age an issue of this campaign, Johnny.  I will not use, for political purposes, my opponents' youth and inexperience."  Both Douglas and Breckinridge laugh at this, as the audience erupts into laughter and cheers, while Scott calmly sips a glass of water.  Douglas would later write "that moment in the debate was when I knew I had lost the election."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 10:32:10 PM by Jerseyrules »

...So Fillmore has taken the Whigs in a Conservative direction, as opposed to the more Progressive direction to normally be expected? After all, the Whigs were the party of the U.S. Bank, internal improvements, government programs, etc. I'm wondering how the Democrats respond ideologically. Will they go the opposite direction of Jackson and Jefferson and begin to support more government programs in order to be in opposition to the newer more Conservative Whigs? Or will the nation in general move to the Right and merely have a "Right-wing party" versus a "less right-wing party"?

Also, this was made before your most recent post. How does the old man Scott win nomination against someone like Lincoln?

Well Lincoln is basically like Sarah Palin; everyone in the party likes him, but no one really thinks he's ready to be president yet.  Fillmore really was a Whig in name only, so I've had him go the more conservative direction, although there are still both wings in both parties.  Right now the Democrats are ideologically similar to where they were at this time in OTL but the whigs are much conservative then the Republicans were at this stage IOTL.  Because of this, this timeline will be more conservative than our own, therefore presidents like Jefferson and Jackson are seen in very positive light while people like the Adamses are remembered as a crapstain on the underwear of history
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

Don't be hatin' on the Adamses! Angry I contend that Adams was more Conservative than Jefferson, & I would have gladly supported John Quincy in 1824 ( not sure about 1828). I have a fondness for the gruff New England family, & have developed a resentment towards Jackson, not based on his policies, but the fact my history teacher loves him more than any man should. You got a beef with the Adamses?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2011, 09:06:17 PM by Jerseyrules »

Election Night 1860:

Well the Whig candidate, not really to anyone's surprise, has won a landslide election to become the fourteenth president of these United States.  Old fuss n' feathers will enjoy some nice coattails tonight, with the Whigs gaining several seats in both houses of Congress; Speaker Winthrop remains Speaker while Benjamin Wade is replaces as Pres. Pro Tem. by Solomon Foot of Vermont

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2011, 12:18:26 PM by Jerseyrules »

Don't be hatin' on the Adamses! Angry I contend that Adams was more Conservative than Jefferson, & I would have gladly supported John Quincy in 1824 ( not sure about 1828). I have a fondness for the gruff New England family, & have developed a resentment towards Jackson, not based on his policies, but the fact my history teacher loves him more than any man should. You got a beef with the Adamses?

Haha not really a beef, I admire Quincy for his stand against slavery but I contend that someone who calls themself a John Adams conservative belongs in the Vermont Progressive party...unless you consider the immigration policy his dad had haha.  I'm for Jackass all the way!  Actually, I fancy myself as a Crawford man.  I really meant people like Henry Clay, and I couldn't think of any recent historical examples of presidents cuz the POD is in the 1850s and I can't give away future presidents!  But basically Bill Clinton with OTL political beliefs would be considered a mentally ill patient and need to be shot on sight.

I can tell you about another souther governor however will play a big role ITTL...  Oh and the conservative party of new York is like The one In otl...it endorses the most conservative candidate or will run its own if it doesn't like either
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »

03-04-1861: Winfield Scott will remain General-in-Chief/commanding general of the United States armed forces during his tenure as president, as he has announced this evening.  He will prove to be a true citizen politician.  His vice president, however, is becoming increasingly bitter at his current post...

06-12-1861: "That freaking asshole old man.  I lost by ten goddam delegates!  F****ing Fillmore, he didn't even lift a finger for me on the campaign trail..."
- The Abraham Lincoln Diaries
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »

06-12-1861: "That freaking asshole old man.  I lost by ten goddam delegates!  F****ing Fillmore, he didn't even lift a finger for me on the campaign trail..."

Abe Lincoln Gone Wild

01-20-1856: Jonathon Gallup founds The Gallup Organization, which is a service that determines a president's approval rating with the general public.  Many are astounded when the first poll shows that only 41% of Americans approve of President Fillmore*

If you had done your research, you would have discovered that the Gallup Organization was founded in 1958. See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup_Organization
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 09:24:19 PM by Jerseyrules »

Abe Lincoln Gone Wild

01-20-1856: Jonathon Gallup founds The Gallup Organization, which is a service that determines a president's approval rating with the general public.  Many are astounded when the first poll shows that only 41% of Americans approve of President Fillmore*

If you had done your research, you would have discovered that the Gallup Organization was founded in 1958. See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup_Organization

I did my research; if you had read the entire post I went on to say that I am taking a little creative license and i had only done it because it made my life easier so I could convey popular opinion to you.  Wink  Also Lincoln is basically like Nixon now; he's going off the deep end and will serve at least 12 years as vice president. He is very bitter for Fillmore barely helping him on the campaign trail and blames Fillmore for his loss of the nomination
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

07-12-1861: Germany holds its first federal elections.  Von Bismarck's independents make slight gains in both the Reichstag and Bundesrat.  Von Bismarck uses his political capital to advocate, with the approval of President Scott, the creation of a Jewish homeland.

08-05-1861: The Conservatives in Cogress make Jack Buckley*, brother of Justice Buckley, their house leader.

09-12-1861: The United States economy is rapidly increasing; with tariff cuts, foreign trade is at a record high.  President Scott calls for additional tariff cuts to secure the current boom in the economy

10-17-1861: The New Jersey General Assembly votes to abolish its national bank.

10-24-1861: The United States Congress approves the budget of 1862, another balanced budget with a surplus of 2.4 million dollars.  The Congress approves a further tariff reduction to 8.5%.  Conservative Leader Buckley helps negotiate with President Scott, and Scott finally relents to further cuts.  Conservatives throughout the nation are very happy with President Scott, and see Speaker Winthrop as a great unifying figure for the Whigs.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2011, 09:06:52 PM by Jerseyrules »

12-05-1861: The Conservatives win a narrow majority in the British House of Commons due to the economic downturn and their adoption of a low-tariff platform as well as strengthening Anglo-American relations.  The Earl of Derby is the new Prime Minister
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »

The Cabinet of President Winfield Scott:

President: Winfield Scott
Vice President: Abraham Lincoln *
Secretary of State: William Seward
Secretary of War: Ulysses S. Grant
Secretary of the Navy: John J. Crittenden
Attorney General: Nathaniel P. Brooks
Secretary of the Treasury: Rick Paul *

* Retained from previous administration
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »

"Many were stunned when Crittenden announced he would accept a cabinet appointment; many thought that at 73 years old he would retire.  Those who knew him personally thought he would seek re-election to the senate, but once they heard he would be Secretary of the Navy, they knew this would be the last stop in his political career, for better or for worse...."

The Vast History of American Politics, by James L. Buckley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »

07-12-1862: The German Empire invades Turkey.  They have the firm backing of the United States, and President Scott sends them military aid.  This begins the German-Ottoman War.

11-17-1862: Constantinople is captured by the Germans, who order the shutdown of Ottoman government.  They immediately seize all territory, while establishing Palestine as a German Protectorate and a Jewish state; this was done mainly due to the forcefullness of Chancellor Otto Von Bismarck.  Within two months Germany will supervise elections to the Reichstag and Bundesrat.  They will elect primarily Independents to both bodies, to the glee of Chancellor Von Bismarck.  A poll by Gallup Deutch shows that 67% of Ottomans approve of the new German rule; this is widely believed to be a result of the taxation and authoritarianism of the old Ottoman government, as well as the economic prosperity brought by Von Bismarck's gentle rule over them.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »

1-24-1863: Chancellor Von Bismarck meets with Russian tsar Alexander II, who is privately pleased with the new German rule in the middle east.  He was afraid of Ottoman aggression, and is convinced to form a non-aggression pact with Germany, thanks to the charm and wit of his German counterpart.

03-17-1863: At the urging of President Scott and Vice President Lincoln, Congress passes several new Civil Liberties laws, protecting the rights of escaped and freed slaves.  Although several southern Whigs would have prefered a more moderate bill, President Scott convinces them to sign on to it and President Lincoln and Senator Douglas convince enough northern Democrats to sign on to the act.

4-14-1863: The South Carolina legislature narrowly defeats a proposed secession from the Union due to the new civil liberties legislation.  President Scott breathes a sigh of relief, thanful that the union will stay intact.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »

Does anyone want an update on this?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

I just don't know where to go from here, though I might come back to this once I'm finished with my "1960" TL
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »

Alright I'm bringing this old gal back, stay tuned for an update.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies