A Grand Old Whig
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Grand Old Whig
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should this continue?
Yes

No

Hell NO

I don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Grand Old Whig  (Read 7477 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
« edited: December 19, 2011, 05:12:36 PM by Jerseyrules »

08-03-1854: Stephen Johnson Field, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of California, is confirmed to succeed Robert Taney as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  Though a Democrat, he is considered to be a moderate on racial issues.

09-29-1854: Reverdy Johnson is appointed to the Supreme Court of the United States.  He is a southern Whig, and though many Whigs are disappointed that Fillmore didn't choose John Crittenden for the appointment, few can deny Johnson's credentials and intelligence.  Furthermore, Crittenden declined the appointment, due to his desire to seek his senate seat instead, believing that to be a better stepping-stone to the presidency in 1856 or 1860.

10-14-1854: Francis Jonathon Buckley is confirmed to the Supreme Court of the United States.  This is President Fillmore's sixth Supreme Court nomination, tied with Jackson's record for total number of court appointments, and second only to George Washington.  It is also his fifth in only a few months, however many are content with this due to his choices typically being similar in ideology to their predecessors, and the regional balance he adds.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 04:26:09 PM by Jerseyrules »

Election Day 1854:

The Whigs continue their popularity, and though they lose a few seats in the deep south due to the Civil Liberties Act of 1854, they gain enough in the north to more than counteract the damage.

House:

Whigs: 161 (+8)
Democrats: 52 (-11)
Free Soil: 13 (+2)
Independent: 4 (+1)

Incumbent Speaker: Robert C. Winthrop
Speaker-elect: Robert C. Winthrop
Minority Leader: Linn Boyd
Minority Leader-elect: William Aiken, Jr.

12-24-1854: President Fillmore appoints his seventh Supreme Court Justice, Caleb Cushing.  He jokes that "This year I was granted a Christmas present one day early."

1-17-1855: Congress passes the Judiciary Act of 1855, which adds two Supreme Court seats to the bench.  The seats are quickly filled by President Fillmore, who sends Edward Bates and James Speed to the bench.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »

United States Senate elections, 1854

Whig: 35 (+4)
Democrat: 22 (-7)
Free Soil: 9 (+3)

President Pro Tempore of the Senate: William H. Seward (Whig)
President Pro Tempore of the Senate: William H. Seward (Whig)

John Crittenden was elected to a senate seat from Kentucky as a Whig, while Douglas was elected to the senate as a Democrat.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 05:02:58 PM by Jerseyrules »

3-17-1855: Fillmore appoints Salmon P. Chase to the Supreme Court, making this his ninth appointment to the Supreme Court thus far.  Only three justices on the Supreme Court are not Fillmore appointees: Samuel Nelson, Robert Grier, and John Catron.

05-02-1855: The Second Judiciary Act of 1855 adds another 4 justices to the bench, which greatly agitates the public.  Another seat opens up: that of Samuel Nelson.  Fillmore fills these new seats with Alphonso Taft, Samuel F. Phillips, James Buchanan, John Tyler, and his former opponent Franklin Pierce, which settles the public slightly as the balance of the court has been maintained. *

* Note: this will have repercussions
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:14 PM »

06-14-1855: President Fillmore announces his intent to seek re-election next November.  Few are surprised, as he has always indicated that he would run for re-election, but many of his fellow Whigs are very displeased...

07-04-1855: The United States budget of 1857 is submitted earlier than ever before, with a surplus of $2.3 million.  The United States has paid off its national debt.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »

Haven't read all the new updates yet, but...
...William F. Buckley Sr. was born in like 1881. How can he be on any court just under thirty years before he's born?

Also, suggestion: don't just update with one date, compile them into larger updates with like ten different dates. That's how they're usually done.

And at last: I love how Winfield Scott gets appointed War Secretary. Here's hoping for a Civil War where he can be as nasty as he needs to be, though it looks like it may be averted ITTL.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »

09-12-1855: Though popular support for President Fillmore is high, his fellow Whigs are growing agitated by his conservatism.  It appears he is becoming too old-fashioned for the younger generation of Whigs, though Vice President Lincoln urges his fellow Whigs that Fillmore is the only candidate that can win next year.

11-09-1855: Congress passes a bill making English the official language of the United States.  This is applauded by many from across the political spectrum, particularly those in the small Know-Nothing Movement.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »

Also, how does a President get away with just expanding the Supreme Court non-stop? I doubt that would fly and I'm not sure, but that seems like the kind of thing that would need a constitutional amendment.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »

Haven't read all the new updates yet, but...
...William F. Buckley Sr. was born in like 1881. How can he be on any court just under thirty years before he's born?

Also, suggestion: don't just update with one date, compile them into larger updates with like ten different dates. That's how they're usually done.

And at last: I love how Winfield Scott gets appointed War Secretary. Here's hoping for a Civil War where he can be as nasty as he needs to be, though it looks like it may be averted ITTL.

I couldn't find a name for Buckley Sr.'s dad so I called him Buckley Sr....retconning....also the Civil War will be a surprise.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »

According to wikipedia, it's John C. Buckley, though I have no idea if he has any legal experience whatsoever, and Bill Sr. was a Texas oilman.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »

Also, how does a President get away with just expanding the Supreme Court non-stop? I doubt that would fly and I'm not sure, but that seems like the kind of thing that would need a constitutional amendment.

That's what we did; there were only 5 justices in the beginning, expanded to 7 under washington, eventually 9 and Lincoln got it to 10, saw people getting miffed about it and then switched it backed to 9; this will have some serious repercussions in the future as I said; the court is up to 15 and many of the n00bs will be replaced in the 1870s; anyway Fillmore didn't really plan on this happening but gladly took the opportunity to pack the court, but there is an ideological balance he maintained; he put Taft and John TYLER on the same bench so sparks will fly; Fillmore believed in replacing the man with someone ideologically similar to maintain the balance on the court.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

According to wikipedia, it's John C. Buckley, though I have no idea if he has any legal experience whatsoever, and Bill Sr. was a Texas oilman.

Thanks I love all the comments

AT LEAST SOMEONE CARES ENOUGH TO COMMENT (HINT HINT!!!!) haha
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 05:37:17 PM by Jerseyrules »

12-27-1855: Winfield Scott begins a strict regiment of diet and exercize!  His doctors are very upset with his dietary habits, as he has grown to 260 pounds.  He quickly trims off fat and is down to 220 pounds again by April.  Doctors say this was necessary for his health, yet on the first day of the diet, old fuss n' feathers complains "This is not food!  This is what food EATS!"

01-12-1856: Winfield Scott makes it known that he will not be a candidate for the upcoming presidential election.

01-20-1856: Jonathon Gallup founds The Gallup Organization, which is a service that determines a president's approval rating with the general public.  Many are astounded when the first poll shows that only 41% of Americans approve of President Fillmore*

05-03-1856: The United States economy surpasses France to become the fourth-largest in the world, behind only Britain, Germany, and the Russian Empire

*This was added to make things easier for me in terms of how people feel about the pres, etc.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 06:16:17 PM by Jerseyrules »

02-13-1856: Many in the senate charge President Fillmore on corruption for having expanded the Supreme Court far beyond the Founders’ intent, however Fillmore responds, “If it’s not what they expected to have good, fine, honest men put on that bench, then by God I’m glad I didn’t meet any of those old coots!”  This settles the populace slightly.

02-15-1856: President Fillmore’s approval rating is at 49%.

03-03-1856: President Fillmore continues to campaign as a strict constitutionalist who saved the United States from imperialist clutches once more.  Gallup releases head-to-head matchups for the upcoming elections:

Fillmore vs. Breckinridge*:

Fillmore vs. Pierce:

Fillmore vs. Douglas:

*Announced candidate

Fillmore approval rating: 54%

04-17-1856: “It is not my time, and I am not yet ready to become president.  That is why I will not seek, and I shall not accept, your nomination for the presidency of the United States.” - Stephen Douglas (D-IL)

04-24-1856: “I’m done with politics!  Here I get to wear these nice black robes (reporters laugh).  Seriously though, I’m not interested in running for president again.” - Franklin Pierce.  With his fine mannerisms and his charm, many think he could have been a great president.

05-03-1856: “Frank’s out, so I’m out too” - James Buchanan.

05-09-1856: “I’m all in!” - John C. Breckinridge (D-KY)

06-01-1856: Minnesota is admitted to the union
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 06:23:54 PM by Jerseyrules »

Whoops; maps didn't post.

Fillmore vs. Breckinridge:

153 EV vs. 143 EV

Fillmore vs. Douglas:

229 vs. 67 EV

Filmore vs. Pierce:

173 vs. 123 EV

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

I recommend green for the Whigs. That's the color this site uses, and it shows up better with map shades and text.

Is there any uproar over Fillmore breaking Washington's tradition?

I'd hope for Buchanan to win, but he's out of the running apparently.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 06:27:02 PM by Jerseyrules »

I recommend green for the Whigs. That's the color this site uses, and it shows up better with map shades and text.

Not really any anger over breaking Washington's tradition; back then the media weren't as rabbid as they were in 1940 so really just a few cute cartoons about Fillmore ducking Washington's tradition like Teddy in 1912.  I wanted to use either yellow or orange because those are the most common for the Whigs, but yellow is ugly so I'm switching to orange...till the manual changing gets annoying.  Then I'll use green.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

BTW why are these text boxes so annoying?  When I type more than a few lines it starts spazzing out scrolling up and down rapidly...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »

BTW why are these text boxes so annoying?  When I type more than a few lines it starts spazzing out scrolling up and down rapidly...

It ususally depends on what computer you're using or what your internet provider is. I'm not sure. For me it usually happens if I'm using the school computers.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »

It ususally depends on what computer you're using or what your internet provider is. I'm not sure. For me it usually happens if I'm using the school computers.

Stupid windows 7....
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »

06-09-1856: After 256 ballots, Lewis Cass is nominated for president while John C. Breckinridge was nominated for Vice President.

06-17-1856: President Fillmore, though he has lukewarm support by many in his party, is re-nominated unanimously at the Whig National Convention in Philadelphia.  Vice President Lincoln is re-nominated with only one vote in opposition: for William Seward.

06-25-1856: William Seward declares himself a candidate for the Whig nomination…in 1860.  Many are stunned by this, as it has little to no relevance to the current election.

08-12-1856: Now that all the candidates for Congress have been nominated, Lincoln is sent out to barnstorm for the Whigs.  He goes on a 3-month nationwide campaign train for himself and his President as well as Congress.  He is well-received wherever he went, which is what inspired Sarah Palin’s vice presidential campaign in [redacted]

08-24-1856: Vice President Lincoln’s campaigning appears to be working; the President’s approval ratings are 57% and rapidly increasing.  In a head-to-head matchup with Cass, the president leads 55%-38% with the rest undecided.

09-03-1856: The national Free Soil Party nominates former President Martin Van Buren for president with Salmon P. Chase as the VP candidate, though Chase will not campaign for the job at all.  The first incidence of cross-party nominating, the New York and California Free Soil Party nominates Vice President Lincoln for president and Van Buren for Vice President.  Lincoln has no comment on this matter
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »

10-29-1856: "President Fillmore!" [waves]
[the president waves back]
[gunshots]
[shrieking]
[The president is shoved into his carriage, which speeds away]

To be continued.....
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »

...IMMEDIATELY!

President Fillmore is rushed to the hospital; luckily the bullet grazed his chest but was deflected by a Bible he had in his coat pocket.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »

So without further ado, the election:
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 08:53:44 PM by Jerseyrules »

President Millard Fillmore (W-NY) / Vice President Lincoln (W-IL) - 60.1% Pop. Vote;  280 EV
Gen. Lewis Cass / Sen. John C. Breckinridge (D-KY) - 27.4% Pop. Vote; 23 EV
Fmr. President Martin Van Buren (FS-NY) / Salmon P. Chase (FS-OH) - 12.5% Pop. Vote; 0 EV

Obviously the sympathy vote rolled in for President Fillmore, due to the attempt on his life and his Vice President's vigorous campaigning, as well as his opponent's ambiguity after 8 years in the political wilderness.  However his victory is not just due to the sympathy vote, as his coattails prove:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies