Who was Perot's constituency, who would be Paul's?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:31:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who was Perot's constituency, who would be Paul's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was Perot's constituency, who would be Paul's?  (Read 279 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

In my own life, growing up in suburban New York, the kind of people who I know that voted for Perot were the people who generally are turned off by politicians, consider them all to be liars and cheats, follow the news somewhat but can't stomach to hear too much of it since it's all the same old same old again and again.

They wanted an outsider who seemed honest. They didn't mind that Perot was a little nutty, because to them, the D's and R's are awful anyway, so what's wrong with a bit of a whacky guy compared to a total D-bag liar.

I'd imagine, besides die-hard Paulites, who are a very small % of the country, Paul could pull from much the same crowd.

Of course, his extreme anti-tax, small-government message could pull from the far-right of the Conservative movement, an unintended consequence (for Republicans) of the Conservative ideology that's taken shape since Reagan. He could also get some disaffected liberals who are more voting in protest against Obama not being god.

So, I don't see why 20% would be impossible for Paul as an independent, and that's about what he's polling nationally at this point. Obviously current polls are useless, but it just shows the amount of people out there who really are looking for someone who isn't a traditional politician.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies