The Americans Elect thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:24:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Americans Elect thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Americans Elect thread  (Read 9803 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 23, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »

To discuss what all is going on over at...that, there.

Who all is signed up to be a delegate?

Will this be real democracy, or will the corporate Board of Directors just run the whole show?

Will there be a fight between Donald Trump and Ron Paul for the AE nomination?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »

I believe you will have to verify that you are registered to vote in the USA...so, sorry Cathcon.

Right now its looking like it will become the Republican losers campground...Buddy Roemer for sure, Ron Paul probably, Trump maybe, Huntsman is possible.

But if they nominate a Republican, they need a Democrat running mate...who could they get?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »

I've heard the claim that they're already on the ballot in some states. Is that even possible?

Quite a few, actually.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

Yeah, assuming Ron Paul were to pursue this as a vehicle for a 3rd party run, what DEMOCRAT could he possibly get to be his running mate?
He has said before that he'd think about choosing Dennis Kucinich if he were nominated. They are good friends.

Hmmm, Paul/Kucinich...that would be interesting.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

Draft and Support Candidates is FINALLY open on the website!

Declaring your own candidacy does not appear to be an option...yet.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

I would like to encourage everyone to sign up on Americans Elect (must be a registered voter in the USA) and click support for Vermin Supreme!  He's not likely to win this nomination, but it would be good to see him at least being competitive with the more serious candidates in this contest.

http://www.americanselect.org/
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »

I have been wondering, what do they do if no one qualifies, according to their own rules- which appears likely to happen.  I assume they will just change the rules- they need to put someone on the ticket, after all.  Looks like this is going to be Ron Paul, if he'll take it, and failing that, Buddy Roemer.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2012, 11:31:13 PM by Cheezy Fritz »

Since other threads are popping up on this subject, I thought I should dig this one back up.  This is *THE* Americans Elect thread.   Smiley

So, here's where we are:  Candidates with a similar level of experience as past Presidents (i.e. Congress, Governor, Mayor of large city) need 1,000 supporters in each of 10 different states. All other candidates need 5,000 supporters in each of 10 different states.  Listed below are the total number of supporters the top candidates have.

Top Draft Candidates
Ron Paul (6514)
John Huntsman (2380)
Bernie Sanders (1692)
Barack Obama (1398)
Mike Bloomberg (926)
Gary Johnson (726)

Top Declared Candidates
Buddy Roemer (2101)
Rocky Anderson (865)
Laurence Kotlikoff (596)
Michaelene Risley (544)
TJ O'Hara (176)
Michael Ballantine (106)

Those are total numbers.  To qualify, you need 1000 or 5000 in each of 10 states.  I cannot understand what Americans Elect is thinking.  The sheer numbers of people needed to satisfy these requirements are not visiting the site and signing up to support candidates.  Ron Paul's best state is California with 631 supporters.  Buddy Roemer has 208 in California.

AE recently amended the calendar to allow candidates more time to qualify.  Under the current rules, I believe candidates have until mid-May too meet the qualification requirements.  I think its safe to say that no one who needs to will meet the 5000-in-10-states requirement (this would apply to the bottom four listed above).  Even 1000 in 10 states seems a stretch; I'm betting that AE will be forced to lower this requirement.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »

You really think your guy can get 5000 supports in 10 different states?  Hate to rain on your parade, but you have less than 2 months, and you are not even at 1% of what you need.

If you're really serious, you guys should pick the 10 states to focus on.  Massachussetts looks good, you're up to 75 there.....
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

Breaking News- Caucus Schedule Updated

http://www.americanselect.org/news/5-2012/caucus-schedule-updated

"According to our rules, since fewer than seven candidates have received enough support to qualify for the AE nomination, the first caucus scheduled for May 8th will now take place on May 15th."

Fewer than 7, they say?  Not a single candidate is even close to the bare minimum requirement of 1000 support clicks in 10 different states.  Ron Paul is up to 8647 (best state: California, 897), while Buddy Roemer leads the declared candidates with 4304 (best state: California, 435).

I'll keep updating this thread as news develops.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »

Well, today is Caucus Day, and here is the news from AE...

Statement by Americans Elect CEO Kahlil Byrd

Over the past two years, Americans Elect has focused on achieving three clear goals:

• Gaining nationwide ballot access for a third presidential ticket to compete in the 2012 race;
  • Holding the first ever nonpartisan secure national online primary at AmericansElect.org; and
  • Fielding a credible, balanced, unaffiliated ticket for the 2012 presidential race.

Through the efforts of thousands of staffers, volunteers, and leadership, Americans Elect has achieved every stated operational goal. Despite these efforts, as of today, no candidate has reached the national support threshold required to enter the “Americans Elect Online Convention” this June. (Read a detailed summary of the AE process here and the full rules here.)

Because of this, under the rules that AE delegates ratified, the primary process would end today. There is, however, an almost universal desire among delegates, leadership and millions of Americans who have supported AE to see a credible candidate emerge from this process.

Every step of the way, AE has conferred with its community before making major decisions. We will do the same this week before determining next steps for the immediate future. AE will announce the results of these conversations on Thursday, May 17.

As always, we thank everyone who has participated in this effort and will honor the work, efforts and trust so many people have placed in Americans Elect.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »

By the way, if you are interested in learning how much of a joke AE has been from the very beginning, check out this blog.  Really, this guy is pretty good, and his cynicism is just delightful.  Check it out: http://aetransparency.blogspot.com/
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »

As promised, AE released another statement today.  I won't copy it in this post, suffice to say that Americans Elect is done, finished, kaput.  There will be no online convention.

The statement is here.

Which begs the question: what happens to all the ballot access this organization controls?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies