Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:43:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements  (Read 23237 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Some possible replacements for Myrick:

- State Sen. Bob Rucho. My Senator Sad. The mastermind behind the so-called "fair and legal" Republican redistricting maps. He Chaired the Senate redistricting Committee and drew the maps; much like Brad Miller did 10 years ago. He lives in Matthews. From what I've seen, he has a good relationship with Myrick.

- State Rep. Ruth Samuleson. My representative Sad . Her district includes the more affluent parts of south-central Mecklenburg county.

- House Speaker Thom Tillis. Lives in northern Mecklenburg county. Still I'm not sure he'd want to run for Congress; with the Republicans having likely control of the Assembly for the next decade, his position as Speaker should be pretty secure. I've heard rumors that he plans to run against Hagan in 2014.

- John Lassiter. He was on the Charlotte city council and ran against Anthony Foxx for Charlotte mayor in 2009, losing by 3,000 votes. Haven't heard much from him since.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »

Well, Mr. Scott, i understand politics. Probably - much better then you are. I study it for 40 years (since i was a high school student in Moscow) I clearly understand importance of ideology in parliamentary democracy of European style, where there are 4-6 parties, and where the government is frequently coalitional. But i don't understand (and don't intend to) usage of similar criteria in a country ,where there are only 2 big political parties. It's too few for them to be strictly ideological(what gradually happens during last quarter century and reached unthincable level recently), and clever political leaders of Roosevelt-Kennedy time understood it quite well. They also understood (contrary to you) that politics is "an art of compromise", and  not (as i mentioned above) misuse of "i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool" approach. Contrary to present leaders and many extreme "activists", who became to dominate BOTH political parties approximately since Reagan. It seems that it's you, who doesn't want to understandsuch simple statements, so my offer is to agree to disagree and ignore each other in the future. We will not come to any agreement  on BASIC principles, so - what for? Be in permanent minority with your "pristine party" if you want, you will only help Republicans with that, and they will gladly accept such your help. And leave all, who is not "pure" (it doesn't matter whether they are populist on economy and social conservatives or fiscal conservatives and social liberals) alone. You don't want to adapt to them and accept them? You will pay for that by forfeiting majority and power.

For the love of God.  I don't oppose compromise or bipartisanship, I oppose turning back on what you promised to your constituents for the mere gesture of bipartisanship, especially when you're dealing with another party that doesn't want to concede anything themselves.  But if you want to end this discussion and shun each other, then that's fine by me.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

Scott and smoltchanov...this is turning into a thread hijack. Please take it elsewhere. I think you both have a good understanding of politics.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2012, 01:51:31 AM by smoltchanov »

For the love of God.  I don't oppose compromise or bipartisanship, I oppose turning back on what you promised to your constituents for the mere gesture of bipartisanship, especially when you're dealing with another party that doesn't want to concede anything themselves.  But if you want to end this discussion and shun each other, then that's fine by me.

As  correctly stated by Miles - we deviated from original theme. I simply don't see the need to continue - for me the most important thing is to win the election, and, because the elections are conducted by district, you simply MUST run a candidate that suits the district (liberal in SF, conservative in rural Louisiana for example) in order to maximize your chances. All ideological criteria are secondary and much less important to me. That's obviously not so for you. So - there is no purpose to continue. Let's conclude with that and let's not (again using Miles's words) "highjack" the theme)))
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »

In honor of Sue Myrick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SrAe21fi_4c
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:18 AM »

Some possible replacements for Myrick:

- State Sen. Bob Rucho. My Senator Sad. The mastermind behind the so-called "fair and legal" Republican redistricting maps. He Chaired the Senate redistricting Committee and drew the maps; much like Brad Miller did 10 years ago. He lives in Matthews. From what I've seen, he has a good relationship with Myrick.
That sounds like the fix was in from the start.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

Myrick is retiring? Interesting.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 11:24:16 AM by MilesC56 »

Dreier is retiring.

Not surprising, considering what happened to his district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »

Dreier is retiring.

Not surprising, considering what happened to his district.
Overdue announcement. No shocker to anybody.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »

Someone missed a prime opportunity for a little double entendre there. So I'll do it.

David Dreier is out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »

Normative Penises bow out, according to a mispost in the Snowe thread.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2012, 12:01:15 AM »

My Congresswoman, Sue Myrick, is retiring.

Good riddance!

Myrick was part of the class of 1994; as such, she took one of Gingrich's pledges to only serve 7 terms. Of course, she broke that pledge by running in 2008.

Obviously, no chance of a Democratic pickup.

Numbers:

- Even though this district swung 20 points to Obama in 2008 (he lost here 54-45 compared to Kerry's 64-35), the average for local Republicans is almost 60%.

- Kay Hagan also overperformed here; she got 46% and held Dole to only 50%.

- And of course, the bottom fell out for Perdue, as she only got 32% against McCrory.

How did I miss this, and the Shuler retirement?  Two of my congresspeople won't be in office next year Cry
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

Gary Ackerman retires.

http://www.cityandstateny.com/ackerman-seek-re-election-either/

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »

Unexpected.

Expected a long long time ago before the wiener pics, though.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »

Tim Johnson drops out in IL-13. http://capitolfax.com/2012/04/04/this-just-in-tim-johnson-to-drop-out/
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Local party committees get to pick a new candidate (though it seems top Republicans are trying to dissuade Johnson). Could it be Bill Brady? I think he lives in this district.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »

Scandal? or just decided to retire?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »

He's a backbencher's backbencher, so boring and nondescript that I can't imagine he would have any kind of scandal going on.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »

Remember that the primary has already passed here.  Tim Johnson already won it, which likely means he'll get to essentially appoint his successor.

Furthermore, this district is pretty marginal.  Tim Johnson running scared most of the high-profile Dems away, and the primary was won by perennial candidate and general nut David Gill, which means that the Republican is pretty much assured of winning.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

Remember that the primary has already passed here.  Tim Johnson already won it, which likely means he'll get to essentially appoint his successor.

Furthermore, this district is pretty marginal.  Tim Johnson running scared most of the high-profile Dems away, and the primary was won by perennial candidate and general nut David Gill, which means that the Republican is pretty much assured of winning.

Couldn't the Democrats make a Connecticut for Lieberman-esque third party and run a stronger candidate?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:36 AM »

Larry Buschon was seen as a nut in IN-08 and raised almost no money, but won easily by default when Ellsworth retired.  Gill got 42% in 2006 in a district that was R+6.  The new district is D+1.  A swing of eight points and DCCC money could easily push him over the top. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2012, 03:41:59 AM »

Got your april fools' joke out three days late, Tim.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »

Is he not retiring after all?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »

Local party committees get to pick a new candidate (though it seems top Republicans are trying to dissuade Johnson). Could it be Bill Brady? I think he lives in this district.

http://wuisnews.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/clarke-will-try-for-johnsons-seat/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »

Is he not retiring after all?
He is retiring. But that piece of news so soon after the primary feels like an april fool's joke.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies