Four More Years: The 1960 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:54:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Four More Years: The 1960 Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you enjoy this Timeline?
Yes

No

This needs to stop

It's awesome!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Four More Years: The 1960 Election  (Read 22464 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »

02-12-1958:
The Congress passes a sweeping tax cut which will cut the top tax rate from 92% to 70% and will cut taxes across the board as well, in addition to creating a much simpler 5-bracket system.  It will also cut the corporate rates significantly.  Massachusetts senator John F. Kennedy sponsored this act, and with the help of Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson, and Speaker Sam Rayburn, it was ushered quickly through the Congress.  President Eisenhower eagerly signs the act, and the economy booms.

11-04-1958:
The United States Congressional elections are held.  The GOP loses 5 seats in the senate as well as 17 in the House of Representatives.  Many analysts had predicted larger Democratic gains in both houses due to the “six-year itch” but President Eisenhower enjoyed overwhelming popularity thanks to the economy, and also thanks to the help of Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, who campaigned for the GOP nonstop during the election.  He himself was re-elected in a landslide, giving himself wide recognition from both the GOP elders and President Eisenhower.

08-29-1959:
"Maime, I really am beginning to think about running again."
"Why the hell would you want to go through another campaign, Ike!  The last one nearly killed you!  I wanted to retire, spend some time with the grandkids..."
"Well, I really don't want Dick to be the next president, and it looks like Johnson could get in too; if Lydon is the next president I swear civil rights will be pushed back to the 1890's-"
"Well, dear if that's what you want...  Just make sure Dr. Feelgood gives you the heads-up first...."

08-31-1959:
“Vell it zeems zat you are in perfect healsh Mr. President.  I suppose zat anozer campaign vudn’t harm you too much.  But I vud strongly recommend zat you pick a vice president who could do ze job in ze event of your death, and who could do mozt of ze campaigning vor you.”
“Thank you, doctor.”

09-12-1959:
“I, your president, will seek re-election to the presidency of the United States next year.  I know I’m old, but I feel there is much more that needs to be done.  I also feel that I am the one to do it, and we sure don’t need another president who needs on-the-job training.”

09-17-1959:
“I will not seek renomination for the Vice Presidency.  I will instead seek the California governorship in 1962.  I feel that I have been there too long, and I think the president can handle his job without me.” [audience laughs]

09-19-1959:
Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson announces that he will run for president in 1960.  Many Democratic leaders clear the field for him.

10-12-1959:
Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts announces that he will not be a candidate for president in 1960.

04-13-1960:
“Mr. President, you have criticized the attempt at term limits on the presidency as ‘making the entire second term a lame-duck period,’ and many political analysts believe this was a contributing factor to its failure to be passed in Congress.  Would you consider running for a fourth term in 1964-”
“Um, to the best of my knowledge I haven’t yet won a third term yet…[audience laughs] But in all seriousness, do you expect me to start campaigning for a fourth term before I have won a third!  I will not rule anything out, but let’s focus on  the here and the now please.”

06-21-1960:
“Mr. President, how do you respond to those who believe you are too old to seek re-election?”
“Well, now I think you’re just trying to make me feel bad [laughs].  But seriously, check my health records; I have nothing to hide.”

07-12-1960:
Texas Senator Lyndon Johnson is nominated for president.  Terry Sanford is nominated for Vice President, and John F. Kennedy believes Sanford is one of the few southern Democrats he’d be willing to vote for, and is good friends with him.

07-25-1960:
President Eisenhower is unanimously denominated for President.  He chooses Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater to be his running mate, much to the chagrin of liberal Republicans such as Governor Nelson Rockefeller (who refused the nomination) and former Governor Harold Stassen of Minnesota.  However, with Ike’s support, his nomination is accepted easily.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2011, 03:20:27 PM by Jerseyrules »

09-12-1960:

President Eisenhower sweeps through the northeast campaigning for his third term.  He will be greeted by huge crowds of gleeful supporters.

10-17-1960:
A Gallup poll is released, which shows that only 39% of Americans think Eisenhower is too old to seek re-election.  His approval rating stands at 57%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

11-08-1960:

President Eisenhower is re-elected in a landslide.  Riding Ike's coattails, the GOP will retake control of the House of Representatives, where Charles Halleck becomes Speaker, and gain seats to forge a powerful minority position in the senate, where Senator Lyndon Johnson is replaced by fellow Democrat Mike Mansfield as Majority Leader.

President Eisenhower (R-NY) / Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ): 56.9% PV; 430 EV
Fmr. Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) / Governor Terry Sanford (D-NC): 43.7% PV, 107 EV
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2011, 06:22:26 PM by Jerseyrules »

The Third Term of Dwight D. Eisenhower:

02-14-1961: The Congress passes an act, drafted by Senate Majority Whip John F. Kennedy, to dramatically increase funding to NASA.  He will also submit the Democratic plans for the 1962 budget to President Eisenhower.  He is quickly rising through the ranks in the Democratic Party, and is perceived to be the Democratic front runner for 1964.  For now, however, he is quite content to remain where he is.

05-12-1961:
President Eisenhower appoints Senator Mansfield to be the American ambassador to Japan.  Mansfield accepts, and Kennedy will replace him as Majority Leader.  A Republican will be appointed to replace Mansfield, bringing the Senate to 51-49, but in reality Vice President Goldwater is working behind the scenes to create a bipartisan Conservative majority.

07-13-1961:
The Congress passes a balanced budget, with a decrease in welfare spending and another sweeping tax cut, courtesy of Vice President Goldwater and Senator Kennedy's friendship and bipartisan efforts.  President Eisenhower is pleased with the new budget, and will sign it with pride.

09-13-1961:
President Eisenhower reluctantly signs another increase in NASA funding, at the urging of Goldwater and Kennedy.  Liberal Republicans and Democrats signed onto the idea when Kennedy amended the bill to include a decrease in military funds, which would be saved by reorganizing the cabinet and military to streamline command and eliminate bureaucracy.  Many believe that this is also why President Eisenhower signed the bill, having experience with tedious paperwork as a General.

04-03-1962:
President Eisenhower appoints Judge Warren Burger to the Supreme Court, replacing Justice Charles Evans Whittaker, whom he had replaced.  Justice Whittaker had retired because of a mental breakdown, citing an overload of work.  Justice Burger will become quickly known as a conservative on the bench.

04-23-1962:
President Eisenhower and Vice President Goldwater make a speech for Richard Nixon in California, praising his credentials and endorsing his gubernatorial campaign.  Eisenhower will campaign for “Tricky Dick” in his home state for a single day, mainly to drive up the donations at his fundraiser.  He will, however, dispatch Goldwater repeatedly, who calls for unity in the Republican party: “Remember the eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Republican.”  This will mean little, as no one has yet stepped forward to oppose Nixon in the GOP primary, however will be used as an example for future generations of Republicans and Democrats alike.

06-14-1962:
President Eisenhower appoints Representative William Rehnquist attorney General.  He is easily confirmed in the Senate, due to his well-known likeability, and his ability to unite conservatives from both parties.

08-02-1962:
President Eisenhower orders an attack on Cuba from Havana and the Bay of Pigs, the goal of which is to assassinate Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.  The operation is a success; American troops will occupy Cuba until the end of the month, and a small contingent will remain to oversee democratic elections, set to take place by the end of the year.

09-28-1962:
Judge Byron White is appointed to the Supreme Court; he will replace Justice Felix Frankfurter, who had died of congestive heart failure a month before.  White is a well-known moderate on segregation and economic issues.  His nomination is praised by both Democrats and Republicans, and he is confirmed easily.

10-19-1962:
William F. Buckley barnstorms for Vice President Nixon in California; although he leads incumbent Governor Pat Brown in the polls, he cites similar leads in polling by William Knowland, whom Brown defeated four years before.

11-06-1962:
The midterms are a great success for Republicans; the GOP gains six seats in the senate and twelve in the house, giving them decent majorities in both chambers.  Senate Minority Leader Evrett Dirksen and Majority Leader John F. Kennedy will switch places.  These new GOP pickups are mainly in the south and northeast, typically by conservatives.  William Buckley’s brother, James L. Buckley, of the Conservative Party New York, defeats Republican Jacob Javits and Democrat James Donovan.  Buckley promises to work with conservatives in both parties; a victory for Conservatives across the nation.  Among the freshman senators are Paul Laxalt of Nevada and Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, who defeated incumbent Senator Thomas Kuchel in the GOP primary.  Nixon sees that conservatism is very popular across the nation right now, and will modify his political views so as to keep up with the sudden rightward shift in American politics.

The Senate elections were a great success for the GOP:

Medium blue = simultaneous GOP pickup and hold
Light blue = GOP hold
Dark blue = GOP pickup
Light red = Dem hold
Dark red = Dem pickup
Dark orange = conservative pickup
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 11:26:17 AM by Jerseyrules »

The Third Term of President Eisenhower, Part II:

12-19-1962: Democratic elections are held in Cuba.  The pro-American conservative Reform Party wins big in the legislative elections and also captures the presidency.

12-25-1963:
To Kill A Mockingbird is released; Ronald Reagan plays Atticus in the film, and will win an Oscar for his performance.

02-10-1963:
Chief Justice of the United States Earl Warren resigns, citing poor health.  Associate Justice Tom C. Clark  also steps down.  President Eisenhower appoints Attorney General William Buckley to succeed Clark and replaces Chief Justice Warren with Justice Warren Burger.  Many are satisfied with President Eisenhower’s appointments as he has largely maintained the balance on the Court thus far; all of Ike’s appointments are confirmed easily.

Supreme Court:

Chief Justice: Warren Burger
Associate Justice: Hugo Black
Associate Justice: William O. Douglas
Associate Justice: John Marshall Harlan II
Associate Justice: William J. Brennan
Associate Justice: Potter Stewart
Associate Justice: Byron White
Associate Justice: William F. Buckley, Jr.
Associate Justice: William Rehnquist

Bold = Conservative
Italics = Liberal
Bold and Italics = Libertarian

04-19-1963:
The French send aid to South Vietnam in the form of 60,000 troops, as well as supplies, planes, boats, etc.  They also send aid throughout Indochina, sparking massive backlash from communist China.

05-12-1963:
President Eisenhower orders the shipment of supplies and ammunition to assist the capitalist South Vietnamese.  He will also order the bombing of Hanoi by U.S. aircraft, after securing a near-unanimous confirmation vote from the Congress.  To calm the anger at the capitalist west over the French intervention in Vietnam, Ike schedules a visit to communist China, and will officially recognize the communist Chinese nation.

07-19-1963:
Ike visits China, becoming the first incumbent president to do so.  This was largely at the advise of Governor Nixon of California.  He convinces Mao Zedong that the United States and the west are very similar to China in that they fight for the same cause; this begins what historians will call the Sino-Soviet split.  This visit greatly angers Russian Premier Khrushchev, who orders the invasion of Mongolia, beginning the Mongolian War.

10-13-1963:
The President gets his arms buildup; the Congress submits the budget of 1965, and in it the United States gets a defense spending increase of 30%, a NASA increase of 50%, yet still allows for a balanced budget by eliminating several cabinet departments, (among those cut are labor and commerce), as well as a 40% reduction in welfare and a cap on discretionary spending; the Democrats are convinced to sign onto these budget changes by Minority Leader Kennedy.  Kennedy and Goldwater appear to be dictating Congress much more than the President himself.

10-15-1963:
President Eisenhower announces that he will not run for re-election in 1964; privately Maime and Dr. “Feelgood” convince him that a fourth campaign would kill him.

10-19-1963:
Vice President Goldwater announces he will be a candidate for President in 1964.

11-01-1963:
Governor Richard Nixon announces he will not be a candidate in 1964, but endorses Vice President Goldwater.

11-04-1963:
Senator Kennedy announces that he will not be a candidate for president in 1964, and will privately vote for Goldwater.

11-09-1963:
Governor George Wallace announces his candidacy for President

11-12-1963:
Senators Eugene McCarthy and Hubert Humphrey announce their candidacies for President

12-01-1963:
The Mongolian war ends in favor of the Chinese.  The Soviets cede all of Mongolia to the Chinese, who, as a result of the aid they were given by the Eisenhower Administration, quietly join the United States and South Korea, calling for a reunification of Korea.  Mao Zedong threatens military action unless North Korea unites with South Korea and forms a single democracy.  Kim Il-Jung will commit suicide, and the acting ruler, Kim Jong-Il (his son) will agree to these terms.  The Korean Republic will hold free election within months.

01-12-1964:
North Vietnam surrenders to the French and South Vietnamese; they arrange a peace treaty which includes the reunification and democratization of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Myanmar.  The new nation will be known as the Federated Indochinese Republic; President Eisenhower breathes a sign of relief as there is now another ally for capitalism in Southeast Asia.  Governor Ted Kennedy and Senator John Kennedy both laud the “slow collapse of communism in the far east.”

05-10-1964:
President Eisenhower visits Korea, and will go on a “goodwill tour” as part of his goodbye to the world; after being in the White House for over eleven years, Ike privately yearns for retirement, but will stick to his current duties the best he can.  He has not had a heart attack in years, and only 31% of Americans believe that he is too old to be president.

06-12-1964:
President Eisenhower proudly signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964, saying that it is “a good start” for desegregation, and that it is “a step in the right direction for all mankind.”  Privately, Ted Kennedy complains to his brothers that there should be a greater effort, but both Bobby and Jack insist that forced integration will only lead to violence.  The president is an avowed opponent of busing but will insist that “non-forceful integration” will be the best policy for civil rights.

07-13-1964:
Barry Goldwater is easily nominated for President over liberal Republican Nelson Rockefeller.  He picks John Volpe of Massachusetts as his running mate to please the more moderate faction in the party.  President Eisenhower makes the keynote speech, saying that he was "proud to have such a strong vice president, and soon America will be proud to have such a strong president." He ends the speech outlining the need for continuity of government and saying that America needed to build up it's defenses.  As he exits the stage with former President Herbert Hoover, the delegates cheer "Four more years"; the president waves one last goodbye; he didn't want those four more years, and Goldwater spins this successfully saying "We need four more years of Republican leadership, four more years of conservative leadership, and four more years of competent leadership!  I realize however that these are not qualities possessed by the Democratic candidates [delegates laugh and cheer] bu-[cheers continue] but we have to make it fair for them; they've got a hell of a handful with George Wallace!"
Strom Thurmond makes a speech at the convention, saying "You have welcomed me with open arms, and for this I thank you! [applause] But those Democrats are more and more out of line with the Party of Jackson they used to be!  And they've gotten all soft and squishy! [laughs] What do they expect us to defend our nation with, spitballs?! [cheers]. And the biggest offenders are two Democrats from Massachusetts: Hubert Horatio Hornblower and "Un-Clean Gene" McCarthy!". [roaring cheers and applause]

08-24-1964:
Senator Hubert Humphrey is narrowly nominated over more the liberal Eugene McCarthy and the Conservative George Wallace.  He chooses former Governor Ed Muskie of Maine as his running mate.

09-12-1964:
President Eisenhower campaigns for Goldwater in New York alongside Governors Nelson Rockefeller and Dewey.

09-15-1964:
Strom Thurmond and former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court James Byrnes switch parties to support Barry Goldwater for President.  These are both big boosts to the Goldwater campaign, which has seized the opportunity to take back the solid south (which is especially vulnerable due to the lack of a southerner on the Democratic ticket this year.)

11-03-1964:
Vice President Goldwater elected President; he will be the first incumbent Vice President elevated to the presidency (without the death incumbent president) since Martin Van Buren’s victory in 1836.

Vice President Barry M. Goldwater (R-AZ) / Governor John Volpe (R-MA): 54.7% PV; 425 EV
Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN) / Fmr. Governor Edmund Muskie (D-ME): 43.8% PV; 110 EV
Others: 1.5% PV; 0 EV

Barry's landslide extends to the congress as well; the GOP makes important gains, including the election of Pete DuPont IV to the House of Reps (DE-AL). Halleck will retire as speaker but continue to serve from the back benches; he will be replaced by Majority Leader Gerald R. Ford as Speaker of the House.  Everett Dirksen will continue to serve as Senate Majority Leader.

The Goldwaters are headed to the White House!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 02:34:01 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Barry M. Goldwater:

01-20-1965:
“I, Barry Morris Goldwater, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the Presidency of these United States….”

“Well, we did a great job these last twelve years, and it’s been one heck of a ride.  From Communism to corruption, to red-baiting and tax cuts, we’ve had a lot to do, and I thank you for putting up with me all these years [smiles].  In any case, we’ve helped the people to have more money in their pockets, we’ve preserved this nation, a shining beacon for freedom for all mankind.  And in the end, we left her in good hands.  All in all, not bad.  So to you I say goodbye, thank you, and God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!”

President Eisenhower gives the victory sign one last time as he enters his car, and speeds away to begin his retirement in New York City.

02-14-1965:
Barry: “Well I think that we still need to do more with tax cuts.  Ev, what do you think?”
Everett Dirksen: “Well, Mr. President, I think that would be dangerous unless you want steep cuts in welfare to balance the budget, which would likely be unpopular….”
Jack: “Well, what about a negative income tax?”
Ford: “Well I suppose that could work; it would take a lot of bureaucracy out of--”
Barry: “Then it is decided.”
Jack: “I can get my fellow Democrats to sign onto it; but there’s gotta be substantial cuts for the working and middle class.  I’ll put in an earmark for an increase in NASA funds.”
“Thanks, Jack, Ev, Gerry; I really appreciate you all coming here.  Anyone want a cigar and some scotch?”
Jack: “I’ll take one, thanks Barry.”
Cabinet of Barry M. Goldwater:

President: Barry M. Goldwater
Vice President: John A. Volpe
Secretary of Defense: Robert F. Kennedy
Secretary of the Treasury: Paul Volker
Attorney General: Mike Mansfield

04-13-1965:
The Congress approves the Negative Income Tax Creation Act; NITCA will remove the minimum wage and welfare and replace them with a negative income tax for those below the poverty level.  This proves popular with the American public, as it removes much of the bloated spending and bureaucracy from welfare.  It will reduce the budget for 1967 by an estimated 24%, making room for the President’s tax cuts.  President Goldwater will proudly sign the act.

06-21-1965:
The President signs the Tax Act of 1965.  It will greatly reduce both corporate and personal income tax rates, and the tax brackets will decrease to three; the rates for personal income are 10%, 20%, 30%, with zero deductions.  Corporate taxes are slashed, and all deductions are removed as well. President Goldwater firmly believes that this will remove much of the IRS, which he believes is more useless bureaucracy.

08-10-1965:
Attorney General Mike Mansfield tells President Goldwater he was happier as Ambassador to Japan; President Goldwater does a bit of cabinet shuffling in order to re-appoint him Ambassador.  The end result is that Speaker Ford will become Attorney General and House Majority Leader William Miller will become Speaker.  All are pleased with this arrangement as Gerry has already served as Speaker, which was his dream.

11-08-1965:
Thanks to the campaigning of President Goldwater and Senator Buckley, Conservative candidate John Marchi defeats incumbent Mayor John Lindsay and Democrat Mario Proccaccino with 38% of the vote. This is a great victory for the Conservative party, which many had originally thought was just a vehicle for the Buckleys. Many similar parties begin to spring up throughout the Northeast, such as in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Oregon.  Many political experts draw comparisons with the attempt by Wendell Willkie to create a national Liberal Party, but he died before this dream could be realized.

11-13-1965:
The United States has withdrawn all troops from the Republic of Korea, which has democratically elected a pro-American capitalist government.  President Goldwater also removes troops from Germany and Japan, with strong support from Senator Kennedy and Ambassador Mansfield.

04-16-1966:
President Goldwater begins setting up party infrastructure in preparation for the upcoming midterms.  He holds a fundraiser for Governor Nixon in Sacramento, CA, and President Eisenhower comes out of retirement to campaign for Governor Nixon as well.  They make a joint speech praising Nixon’s conservative credentials.

05-12-1966:
Justice William O. Douglas retires after having a stroke and a heart attack in the last month alone.  He did not want to retire when a conservative Republican occupied the White House, but his wife convinces him he must step down.  He is replaced with Solicitor General Bernard Siegan to the Court to replace him.

Associate Justice: Hugo Black
Associate Justice: William F. Buckley, Jr. [/I]
Associate Justice: Bernard Siegan [/I]

Bold = Conservative
italicized = liberal
italicized and bold = Libertarian
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 02:47:47 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Barry M. Goldwater, Part II:

08-22-1966:
America becomes the first space-faring nation in the world as astronauts John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin become the first men to land on the moon.  This is a day of great triumph for the United States in the Cold War.

09-13-1966:
President Goldwater, with the help of Senators Kennedy and Dirksen, plan a bill to double NASA funding and give incentives to private industries to make breakthroughs in space technology as well, in the form of private grants.  It will also increase defense spending across-the-board.  The bill contains provisions which call for a lunar base to be completed by 1970, a manned mission to Mars by 1985, and a space station to be completed by 1983.  It will easily pass through Congress with President Kennedy's vocal support.  Now-famous astronaut John Glenn will volunteer for future lunar missions, as well as the one to Mars; all of which have already begun recruitment.

10-14-1966:
Governor Richard Nixon debates his Democratic opponent, California House minority Leader Jesse "Big Daddy" Unruh.  He is seen as eloquent and charismatic, and many analysts believe that this is a crucial victory for Nixon, who has always been known as a great public speaker.  Polls show Nixon receiving a bump of 5% in the polls, and he now leads Unruh 55-37% according to Gallup

11-08-1966:
Governor Richard Nixon wins his re-election bid with 61% of the vote, and thanks to the campaigning of President Goldwater, Senator Buckley and Vice President Volpe, as well as healthy economy and the popularity of President Goldwater, the GOP will win a great victory in the midterm elections.  Thanks to his landslide re-election, Nixon appears to be the heir-apparent to President Goldwater's conservative movement.  Governor Ted Kennedy is re-elected in Massachusetts, and Robert F. Kennedy is elected Governor of New York over liberal Republican Nelson Rockefeller thanks to moderate and conservative Republicans voting for him, as well as his endorsement by the Conservative Party.

United States House elections, 1966:
Republicans: 247 (+9)
Democrats: 188 (-9)

United States Senate elections, 1966:
Republicans: 56 (+4)
Democrats: 42 (-4)
Independents: 1 (cacauses Republican - Harry F. Byrd, Jr. of VA.)
Conservative: 1

Light blue = GOP hold
Medium blue = simultaneous Dem and GOP hold
Dark blue = Rep pickup
Light red = Dem hold
Dark red = Dem pickup

12-11-1966:
With much of his domestic agenda accomplished, President Goldwater turns to the Soviet Union; he announces in his state of the Union address that "If they want an arms race, we will have an arms race, and we shall see that America will pull through in the end.  We will not, under any circumstances, shrink in the face of danger.  For we are Americans." His speech is lauded by conservatives throughout the nation, and many Americans realize that the President is going to focus the rest of his time in office on rolling back communism.

03-16-1967:
Once again, American boys will land on the moon; this time, President Goldwater will call them from the White House to congratulate them (with Ground Control in Houston patching him through), thanking them for a job well done.  This is the longest-distance phone call in history.

07-19-1967:
President Goldwater announces that he will seek re-election to the presidency.

08-12-1967:
Senator Kennedy announces he will not seek his party's nomination for the presidency, citing his friendship with the President and that it is not yet the right time for him to run.  Ted will also bow out of the running.

08-17-1967:
Governor Terry Sanford announces his candidacy for president.  George Wallace announces he will not run for president.

08-21-1967
Fmr. Gov. Pat Brown announces his candidacy for president
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2011, 06:14:52 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Barry M. Goldwater, Part III:

02-13-1968:
President Goldwater meets with new Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev for the first time.  He asks for the United States to sign the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty; President Goldwater is a vehement opponent to the United Nations forcing nations to disarm and sees this as potentially harmful to the allies of the United States.  He describes in his Presidential Diaries that this was the first moment he was truly glad to tell the Soviets "Nyet."

04-06-1968:
The movie, 2001: A Space Odyssey is released, starring Ronald Reagan as HAL.* It is a fairly successful film, and it appears that Reagan has finally become an A-list movie actor.

05-12-1968:
Astronaut John Glenn journeys into space once more, this time to begin construction on the Space Station Skylab.  This is the first stage in President Goldwater's new program, the Strategic Defense Initiative.  It will feature a weapons system that is capable of blasting a nuclear weapon out of the sky while in atmospheric flight.  It is expected to be complete by the end of 1980.

06-24-1968:
President Goldwater asks the Congress to decriminalize marijuana.  This will fail by a marrow margin (thanks to lukewarm support from his own Republicans as well as Senator Kennedy.)  Although this is his first major legislative failure, it will make decriminalization a national issue and spark debate for years to come.

08-06-1968:
President Goldwater is unanimously renominated at the Republican Convention.  Former President Eisenhower makes a speech, where he blasts Democratic frontrunner Terry Sanford; "This governor calls himself the next Thomas Jefferson.  Well let me tell you something: I knew Thomas Jefferson [laughter].  He was a friend of mine [cheers and laughing].  And Governor, you're no Thomas Jefferson!"

08-26-1968:
After five ballots, Fmr. Gov. Terry Sanford is nominated for president, and Senator Eugene McCarthy is nominated for Vice President in order to appease the liberal Democrats.  However, few are talking about their acceptance speeches, as history will recall the keynote address by Senator John F. Kennedy: You and I have a rendezvous with destiney, and we must go forth from here united, or fall separately.  We admire the courage of the Goldwater administration, but we must seek ways to defeat this Evil Soviet Empire.  We are winning the war against communism, but there is still more to be done.  We cannot afford to lose any of the battles if we have any hope of winning this war...." It is remembered as cementing Kennedy as the frontrunner going into 1972, but also for Kennedy's failure to mention either of the nominees by name.  His speech helps his Cold Warrior wing of the party to tack on several anti-Soviet planks onto the party platform.

10-13-1968:
In the ultimate October surprise, President Goldwater is shot by a disaffected drunken hippie, who recently lost his job.  He will soon recover, however, and his approval rating skyrockets.  During the presidential debates, the president condemns radicals, and encourages his opponent to do the same.  When Sanford fails to respond, his numbers drop like a rock.  Goldwater comes across as intelligent and eloquent during the debates, while Sanford (who failed to prepare much for the debates) comes across as angry and out-of-touch.

11-05-1968

President Goldwater / Vice President John Volpe: 57.9% PV; 494 EV
Governor Terry Sanford / Senator Eugene McCarthy: 41.7% PV; 44 EV

United States House of Representatives elections, 1968:
Republicans: 258 (+11)
Democrat: 177 (-11)

United States Senate elections, 1968:
Republicans: 60 (+4)
Democrats: 38 (-4)
Independent: 1
Conservative: 1

*totally taken from Han's President Goldwater TL Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2011, 08:59:16 PM by Jerseyrules »

The Second term of President Goldwater, Part I:

02-13-1969:
Senators James Buckley and John Kennedy co-sponsor an act to drastically increase NASA funding and Space Research grants; it will pass easily and be signed by President Goldwater, who trumpets it as the "death blow to the Soviet Union in the Space Race."

04-07-1969:
Senator John Glenn returns to Earth, after Stage 1 of the Skylab, renamed the Artemis, is completed.  He will now begin training for the mission to Mars, aboard the Constellation.  The Constellation will be the first-ever nuclear-powered spacecraft, and the voyage is expected to take 3 months.

05-21-1969:
Richard J. Forman*, Col. who fought in Korea, is promoted to Brig. General at the recommendation of Fmr. Pres Eisenhower.

* A made up character Wink

08-17-1969:
Hugo Black retires from the Supreme Court at age 79.  President Goldwater appoints Solicitor General Antonin Scalia to the Supreme Court.

Current court composition:

Associate Justice: Bernard Siegan
Associate Justice: Antonin Scalia

09-07-1969:
Senate Majority Leader Everett Dirksen dies at age 73.  He is replaced as Majority Leader by Hugh Scott.

10-17-1969:
Raul Castro makes his debut as a sports announcer at the last game of the world series for the New York Yankees.  This begins a promising career for the brother of Fidel Castro, the former Cuban dictator.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

This is going good so far, I like it
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2011, 09:57:00 PM by Jerseyrules »

Thank you Smiley. I probably won't be able to update till Saturday guys, but I'll try to crank one out tomorrow Wink
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2011, 12:20:12 PM by Jerseyrules »

The Second Term of President Goldwater, Part II:

11-13-1969:
President Goldwater awards astronaut John Glenn with a silver star for his service in World War II.  He invites Glenn to the White House, where they discuss his interest in politics, NASA funding, etc.  He reveals that he was a Democrat, but because of the dedication of Presidents Eisenhower and Goldwater to NASA, he switched parties in the mid 60’s.  He disavows any interest in politics until after the Constellation is complete, however.

02-19-1970:
President Goldwater holds a summit with Premier Brezhnev once again.  This time, however, he appears to be much more cooperative towards the President, though he still remains adamant about America giving up SDI.  President Goldwater announces that he refuses to give up SDI, and nothing was accomplished once again due to the stubbornness of the Soviets.  This nation sympathizes with President Goldwater, and the people believe he is a strong leader.

03-28-1970:
President Eisenhower dies at the age of 79.  He is mourned throughout the United States and the world itself as a bold leader with creative ideas.  President Goldwater announces that “America has lost a great man.  He was truly the first citizen of the world.”  His tombstone will not recognize the fact that he was President, or General, but that he was a veteran of both World Wars.  He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

04-17-1970:
John Glenn is again on the Artemis, this time overseeing the next phase of its construction.  It should be up and running by mid-1974, running very far ahead of schedule.

05-23-1970:
Governor Nixon announces that he will seek re-election as California’s governor.  He is heavily favored to win re-election, and will likely face Jerry Brown, the son of Nixon’s former opponent Pat Brown.

07-15-1970:
John Glenn returns to Earth, and is welcomed by massive parades and flowers.  Governors and Senator Kennedy attempt to convince him to join politics, and to run for the senate seat in Ohio,  but he declines, saying that he wishes to go to Mars, and will remain in the space program until the end of the Constellation at least.

09-12-1970:
President Goldwater campaigns for Governor Nixon in California, along with Senator Buckley, both of whom admire the charismatic Conservative.

11-03-1970:
The midterms are held.  After eighteen years, many analysts predicted sweeping losses for the GOP, but they will narrowly retain the House, and continue their control of the Senate.  Many liberals blame “That DINO Kennedy” for not campaigning more for Democrats.

United States House elections, 1970:
Republicans: 229 (-29)
Democrats: 216 (+29)

Incumbent Speaker: William E. Miller
Speaker-elect: William E. Miller

United States Senate elections, 1970:

Republicans: 56 (-5)
Democrats: 41 (+4)
Conservative: 2 (+1)

In New York, NYC Mayor Joe Marchi is elected Senator, defeating liberal Republican Charles Goodell, meaning that New York is now represented by 2 Conservatives, both of whom caucus GOP.

03-29-1971:
 President Goldwater announces he will not seek re-election as President.

04-13-1971:
Senate Minority Leader John F. Kennedy announces his candidacy for President.

06-15-1971:
Senator Kennedy unveils a new bill which will move up the Constellation to December 1972; it is widely acclaimed by NASA and its astronauts; he announces on the senate floor "To those nay-sayers who no longer believe that America can be the best in space, the best in everything, and those who don't think that we can land a man on Mars by the end of next year, I say to you: remember, It Can Be Done!"  This is seen as a bold but doable move by the United States; the Soviet Union has not even landed a man on the Moon yet.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2011, 01:29:25 PM by Jerseyrules »

The Second Term of President Goldwater, Part III:

09-15-1971:
John Glenn returns to Earth after the Space Station Artemis has completed its third stage of construction.  The fourth stage will feature the addition of the missile-interception system, and will begin in December.

10-13-1971:
Governor Richard Nixon announces his candidacy for President of the United States.  Many GOP bosses will attempt to clear the field for him, and he receives both the endorsement conservative Congressman John Ashbrook and the private blessing of President Goldwater.

10-17-1971:
Vice President Volpe announces he will not be a candidate for president.

10-21-1971:
Michigan Governor George Romney announces his candidacy for President.

11-14-1971:
Governor George Wallace announces his candidacy for president, and will enjoy solid support from both middle class and blue-color Americans as well as obvious backing from the south.  He is polling very well in the Midwest, and has greatly toned his racial message, so may be the anti-Kennedy candidate.

12-02-1971:
John Glenn returns to the Artemis to supervise construction of the final stage of construction.  The Artemis should be completed by next September.

12-17-1971:
Senator Eugene McCarthy announces his candidacy for President of the United States.

02-13-1972:
President Goldwater campaigns for Governor Nixon in New Hampshire.

03-14-1972:
Governor Nixon wins in Iowa by a wide margin, and cements himself as frontrunner.  George Romney withdraws from the race and endorses him, leaving no more serious contenders to challenge Nixon in the primaries.

07-10-1972:
Senator Kennedy is nominated for president on the first ballot.  His running mate will be Stuart Symington of Missouri.

08-19-1972:
The Artemis and the core of SDI is completed.  As the Soviets scramble to catch up to the United States in the Space Race, their economy continues to slide.  Premier Brezhnev is in a state of shock, and does not appear to be able to handle the current turn of events.

08-21-1972:
Governor Nixon is nominated for President on the first ballot at the GOP convention in Miami.  President Goldwater says that “We must continue the policies of the last twenty years if we have any hope of maintaining our booming economy, our continued domination of the Soviet Union, and American Exceptionalism.”  This speech, like Senator Kennedy’s, will be remembered for the lack of mentioning their party’s nominee by name, and also because it does not attack the Democratic nominee.  To respond to the liberalism of Kennedy, and “hit him where it really hurts,” Nixon will choose John Lindsay, former mayor of New York City, as his running mate.

10-14-1972:
After twenty years of GOP rule in Washington, the polls show a surprisingly tight race; the debates today show the candidates debate to a draw, and although both have gotten a little gray around the temples, Kennedy appears youthful and both appear experienced and intelligent.

11-07-1972:
President Kennedy is elected the thirty-sixth President of the United States!

Senator John F. Kennedy / Senator Stuart Symington: 51.3% PV; 321 EV
Governor Richard M. Nixon / Mayor John Lindsay: 48.9% PV; 216 EV
John Hospers / Theodora Nathan: 0.4% PV; 1 EV

United States House elections, 1972:
Republican: 215 (-14)
Democrat: 220 (+14)

Incumbent Speaker: William E. Miller (R)
Speaker-elect: James E. Carter (D)

United States Senate elections, 1972:
Republican: 54 (-2)
Democrat: 43 (+2)
Conservative: 2

Edward Brooke is narrowly defeated by Governor Ted Kennedy for his senate seat.  Pete DuPont IV wins in Delaware.

Majority Leader: Hugh Scott
Majority Leader-elect: Barry Goldwater, Jr.

Privately, President Goldwater is not disappointed with the results of the election; he actually voted for Kennedy because of his friendship with him and his belief that Nixon might be a closet liberal.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 03:19:45 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Kennedy, Part I:

01-20-1973:
President Kennedy is sworn in as President of the United States.  His wife and four children, John Jr., Joe II *, Caroline, and Arabella enter the White House with their father for the first time.  Senator Goldwater, Jr. gives them a tour, and their father sits in the Oval Office with President Goldwater, who he always admired as a father figure.  They say a teary-eyed goodbye and President Goldwater retires to his home in Arizona to begin writing his memoirs.

01-22-1973:
Roe v. Wade is decided 5-4 in favor of Wade and rules that fetuses have the right to live under the fourteenth amendment.  Days later, "Roe" (Norma McCorvey) announces she is pleased with the decision and has become pro-life, and becomes an outspoken opponent of abortion.  Justice Byron White writes the majority opinion.

02-13-1973:
Premier Brezhnev commits suicide as the Soviet economy enters depression.  He is replaced by Secretary Kosygin, who promises to revive the economy through reform.

03-14-1973:
The Artemis is completed, and John Glenn returns to Earth.  Constellation is set to lift off in August, and a trip to Jupiter’s moon Titan is added.

04-17-1973:
Raul Castro accepts an offer to host his own radio show; it will be called Talking Points.  It will begin in early May and will feature prominent guests, and he will be allowed to speak on any issue he desires.

05-14-1973:
Talking Points has its first show.  Raul Castro interviews Ronald Reagan, and speaks extensively about politics; he reveals that he is a Republican and greatly appreciates the work of President Goldwater.

07-25-1973:
President Kennedy meets with new Premier Kosygin, who is part of a new Reform movement in Russia.  He reveals that he is a Christian, which Kennedy had always suspected.  Kennedy convinces him to come to the negotiating table, and Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher calls him “A man we can really work with.”

08-11-1973:
John Glenn, captain of the mission, lifts off from Goldwater Space Center in Miami.  The voyage will likely take seven months, and President Kennedy announces to the nation that “We are Americans; the future doesn’t belong to the faint-hearted; it belongs to the brave; all these brave men have recently lifted off, and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.  We must thank them, and I thank you.  God bless you, and God Bless America.”

12-07-1973:
In return for Kennedy’s assistance to his father, Majority Leader Goldwater introduces a bill which will index the tax brackets to inflation, which was a feature of Kennedy’s campaign.  It will also give the people and corporations a large tax cut.  President Kennedy’s tax cuts will pass easily, and he will happily sign them.

02-15-1974:
Raul Castro is offered to host Talking Points on television.  He accepts the offer, and his career begins to truly take off.

* A child I made up; he might have had more kids; just look at his brothers Wink
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »

01-22-1973:
Roe v. Wade is decided 5-4 in favor of Wade and rules that fetuses have the right to live under the fourteenth amendment.  Days later, "Roe" (Norma McCorvey) announces she is pleased with the decision and has become pro-life, and becomes an outspoken opponent of abortion.  Justice Byron White writes the majority opinion.

02-13-1973:
Premier Brezhnev commits suicide as the Soviet economy enters depression.  He is replaced by Secretary Erich Honecker, who promises to revive the economy through reform.
1. Thanks for such decision on abortion
2. Honecker was a leader of East Germany.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2011, 02:23:14 PM by Jerseyrules »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

1. You're welcome Wink
2. Whoops...Anybody pro-reform who's not Gorbechev in USSR?  (I wanted to avoid using him this early if at all possible)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 04:25:13 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Kennedy, Part II:

04-11-1974:
President Kennedy welcomes the crew of the Constellation home at Goldwater Space Center in Miami.

05-23-1974:
John Marshall Harlan II dies at age 74.  He will be replaced by Texas Representative Lloyd Bensen. Like President Kennedy, he is a moderate-to-conservative Democrat, and pro-life on abortion.

The balance of the Supreme Court is thus:

Associate Justice: Lloyd Bensen

06-09-1974:
President Kennedy presides over the creation of private accounts for Social Security.  He praises this as "a step towards the twenty-first century."  He also announces another mission to Mars and the creation of permanent Lunar and Martian bases.  John Glenn announces he will assist in recruiting astronauts for the mission but will not be part of the next mission.  He will instead run for the open United States Senate seat in Ohio; he will run as a Republican.

07-18-1974:
Former President Goldwater campaigns for John Glenn in Ohio; he holds a fundraiser before making the trip to California to campaign for Governor Nixon's election to the senate and his son for the governor's mansion

08-11-1974:
Talking Points becomes one of the top five most-watched shows on television.  Tonight he interviews John Wayne and Bob Hope, and Castro's show continues its climb to the top of prime-time TV.  Raul Castro is now a household name, and he will soon become well-known for another line of work...

09-13-1974:
President Goldwater is interviewed by Raul Castro on Talking Points.  The main topics of discussion are his relationships with Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy, both of which allowed him to get a great deal accomplished during his presidency, and made for an easy transition period between their respective presidencies to and from his own.

11-05-1974:
Despite the good economy and high popular approval, the Democrats are delt a major blow in the midterms, thanks in no small part to the lack of campaigning by President Kennedy, who felt it best not to "waste time on such nonsense while there is still more to be done."

United States House elections, 1974:

Republicans: 237 (+22)
Democrats: 198 (-22)

Incumbent speaker: James E. Carter

United States Senate elections, 1974:

Republicans: 57 (+3)
Democrats: 40 (-3)

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 01:30:31 AM »

1. You're welcome Wink
2. Whoops...Anybody pro-reform who's not Gorbechev in USSR?  (I wanted to avoid using him this early if at all possible)
[/quote]

Most likely, Prime Minister Kosygin.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

1. You're welcome Wink

Most likely, Prime Minister Kosygin.
[/quote]
Thanks.  I really don't really know Russian politics well Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 09:22:37 PM by Jerseyrules »

The First Term of President Kennedy, Part III:

02-14-1975:
Governor Goldwater is interviewed on Talking Points.  This episode will gather more views than ever before, and after the show, Governor Goldwater attempts to convince Castro to enter politics.  He will mull it over a great deal, and eventually tells Goldwater that he is thinking about seeking the open senate in Florida up next year.  For now though, he will continue his very successful television show.

03-23-1975:
President Kennedy signs a bill which will cut corporate taxes again, will cut tariffs in half, and eliminates the estate tax.  Many conservatives praise President Kennedy for his actions; it appears he will be hard to beat for re-election.  Despite this, Congressman John Asbrook announces that he will challenge Kennedy for re-election, the first Republican to announce.

06-14-1975:
The Explorer mission is launched; it will first take off to the moon, construct a Lunar base, and will launch to construct the Martian base several months after its return.  Senator Glenn is present at its launch, and will spearhead the movement for a greater expansion of the Space Program.

07-12-1975:
Former President Volpe announces his candidacy for President of the United States.  He appears to have the backing of the establishment.

07-25-1975:
President Kennedy announces that he will run for re-election.  Few are surprised by this revelation, however, as President Kennedy is highly popular with the American people

08-11-1975:
Senator Glenn introduces a bill to increase NASA funding by the largest margin since the Goldwater presidency; this is widely acclaimed by conservatives and Cold Warriors alike, as well as his admirer and protege, fellow astronaut Bill Nelson.  It passes easily and President Kennedy will proudly sign it.

09-12-1975:
Raul Castro announces his decision to step down from his television show to run for senator from Florida next year.  He is widely popular, and expected to be the best candidate to beat incumbent Senator Lawton Chiles.

11-05-1975:
President Kennedy announces that the United States national debt is nearly paid off thanks to the cuts in spending from the present and past two administrations.

12-14-1975:
Governor Robert Kennedy of New York announces that New York has balanced its budget yet again, fully paying off all public debt while cutting taxes as well.  He has been successful in much of his agenda, and like his elder brother, and has had to deal with GOP majorities in both houses of the New York legislature.  Also like his brother, however, many believe this is due to his ideology being closer to the Republicans in the legislature than most Democrats, as he has cut taxes and regulation by record amounts, fully eliminating the state income tax.

01-09-1976:
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota announces he will run as an independent candidate for president in 1976, leaving moderate Democrats furious.  Many believe that Kennedy's once-assured re-election bid has now been seriously jeapordized, but political analysts point to his high approval ratings in response.  Congress, however, will be a completely different ballgame, as the DNC begins to focus money towards the presidential election rather than the Congressional races.

03-11-1976:
President Kennedy visits Egypt to begin intense peace negotiations between Israel and Egypt.  The treaty includes provisions which will allow the mutual recognition of the two states by one another, as well as the complete withdrawal by Israel of its armed forces and civilians from the Sinai Peninsula which Israel had captured during the Six-Day War in 1967.  After several rough hours, both leaders agree to sign the agreement, which gives the President a bump in popularity, and he feels much safer going into the election.

04-02-1976:
In the wake of the Peace Agreement, New York City Mayor Ed Koch (C) announces his endorsement of President Kennedy, saying that "He has done much for the Jewish community, and now all Israelis can sleep soundly at night."

07-12-1976:
President Kennedy is renominated unanimously at the 1976 Democratic Convention, as is his Vice President, Stuart Symington.

08-16-1976:
Congressman John Asbrook is nominated for President, while Senator Bob Dole is nominated for Vice President.  Volpe is displeased with the nominees, but offers his support anyway.

10-14-1976:
Former President Goldwater meets with President Kennedy, and the two discuss the recent turn of events in Israel, with President Goldwater telling him that "I support everything you've done so far, and I don't know if I can trust Ashbrook to do the same."

11-02-1976:

President John F. Kennedy / Vice President Stuart Symington (Democrat): 49.6% PV; 318 EV
Congressman John Ashbrook / Senator Robert Dole (Republican): 39.1%; 210 EV
Senator Eugene McCarthy / Various (Independent): 9.7% PV; 10 EV
Roger MacBride / David Bergland (Libertarian): 1.6% PV; 0 EV
Others: 0.0% PV; 0 EV

President Kennedy will be re-elected for a second term as President.

United States House elections, 1976:

Republican: 243 (+6)
Democratic: 192 (-6)

Incumbent Speaker: William E. Miller (R)
Speaker-elect: William E. Miller (R)

United States Senate elections, 1976:

Republicans: 60 (+3)
Democrats: 37 (-3)
Independents: 1
Conservatives: 2

Incumbent Majority Leader: Barry Goldwater, Jr. (R-CA)
Majority Leader-elect: Paul Laxalt (R-NV)

Notable races:

New York:

John J. Marchi: (Conservative): 37.6%
Nelson Rockefeller (R / Liberal): 36.3%
Bella Abzug (Democratic / Labor): 26.2%

Texas:

George H. W. Bush (Republican): 42.7%
Phil Gramm (Democratic): 34.9%
Ralph Yarborough (Independent): 21.7%

Nebraska:

Edward Zorinsky (Democratic): 51.6%
John Y. McCollister (Republican): 49.2%

Florida:

Raul Castro (Republican): 53.7%
Lawton Chiles (Democratic): 46.3%

12-16-1976:
Potter Stewart retires from the Supreme Court.  He will be replaced by (oddly) former Republican Senator William Knowland of California.

The Supreme Court as in it's current composition:

Associate Justice: Lloyd Bensen
Associate Justice: William Knowland
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »

Finally decided to start reading this. Biased, yes, but a good job. Of note is that Bentsen was devoutly pro-choice in RL.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »

Finally decided to start reading this. Biased, yes, but a good job. Of note is that Bentsen was devoutly pro-choice in RL.

Thanks; I know, but he has modified his views after losing to Bush; he believed that in order to get elected (which was his initial goal before offered the seat on the court) he needed to be more conservative in the evolving Texas political landscape, so publicly, for now, he's pro-life Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:29 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2012, 06:05:44 PM by Jerseyrules »

The Second Term of President Kennedy, Part I:

02-19-1977:
President Kennedy vetoes the Congress' budget for 1977.  He says that the Congress "uses a hatchet when we should only use a scalpel" and "balances the budget on the backs of those most in need."

03-15-1977:
Senator James Buckley (R/C-NY) and Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) co-sponsor a bill which will restore America to the Gold Standard.  President Kennedy will veto the act, saying "This is not a sustainable solution to inflation; we must continue on the right course."  The stock market will take a plunge after the president's speech.  His veto will be overridden by the house, but fails in the senate by one vote.

03-27-1977:
The stock market continues to dive as the OPEC continues to hike prices, and President Kennedy is perceived as doing nothing to respond.  He vetoes another tax cut as he announces "We cannot afford to unbalance the budget in times of uncertainty."  The United States looks down the barrel of a budget shutdown after the President has vetoed two Republican budgets already.

04-11-1977:
President Kennedy finally caves to the Congressional Republicans and approves their third budget proposal.  Many liberals are disappointed with their president, and some conservatives are disappointed in GOP leadership for not pushing for further cuts, but most Americans are satisfied with the compromise.

06-22-1977:
The world economy continues to slide, and OPEC continues to hike oil prices; meanwhile, President Kennedy visits the Soviet Union to meet with Premier Kosygin once again.  Kosygin agrees to allow political parties and free elections, scheduled for August.

08-17-1977:
In the Russian Federal elections, Premier (now Prime Minister) Kosygin's Reform Party wins a narrow victory, capturing the Duma with a slim majority.

01-28-1978:
As the economy continues to collapse, Senator Castro calls on the President to pass the Gold Standard Act; this time it is vetoed again, and again it fails to be overridden by the Congress.

04-17-1978:
The Dow takes another dive after OPEC hikes oil prices to historic highs.  President Kennedy does little to address this turn of events, and many believe he is out-of-touch with the American people.  After nearly twenty years of Jack, the Kennedy charm is beginning to wear off.

07-12-1978:
President Kennedy vetoes yet another attempt at defect reduction by the GOP Congress; billboards spring up across the nation asking "Isn't it time WE had a president?"  Kennedy's approval ratings continue to plummet as inflation rises to an all-time high.

08-02-1978:
Under great international pressure, China holds democratic and free elections for the first time, and will allow political parties.

09-16-1978:
President Kennedy unveils his next foreign policy achievement: the Concert of Democracies.  It will feature the addition of all NATO and U.S.-allied nations, including non-NATO members such as Mexico, China, Mongolia, and Japan, and is designed to counter communism.

11-07-1978:
The Congressional elections are held, and with the stagnating economy, the GOP makes some important gains, including that of House Minority Leader Jimmy Carter.

United States House elections, 1978:

Republicans: 257 (+14)
Democrats: 178 (-14)

Incumbent Speaker: William E. Miller

United States Senate elections, 1978:

Republicans: 64 (+4)
Democrats: 33 (-4)

Incumbent Majority Leader: Paul Laxalt
Majority Leader-elect: Paul Laxalt

11-30-1978:
Justice Buckley releases a book entitled Then Everything Changed.  It is alternative history literature, detailing the 1960 election: what if the presidential term limits amendment passed?  It details the story of the 1960 election, where Senator Kennedy defeated Goldwater for the presidency, chose Lyndon Johnson as his running-mate, and the Bay of Pigs Invasion failed.  President Kennedy is assassinated in the early 60's, and Johnson invades Vietnam, and is defeated in 1968 by Nixon.  It is widely praised as a piece of dystopian literature, and receives great reviews.

01-13-1979:
Long Island and Yonkers vote to become the sixth and seventh boroughs of New York City, repectively.  Conservatives cheer, as both are a Conservative Republican strongholds, and it is believed these additions will help steer city elections away from the Liberal Democrats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies