If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:21:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80?  (Read 3195 times)
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

A Reagan/Kennedy smackdown would be the ultimate slugfest of alternate historians dreams.

Being a Kennedy, I think Ted would have had a good chance of becoming president.
You're a Kennedy?  How are you related (not to be a stalker or anything, but that's pretty cool Wink.)  Not to go off topic, but my dad once crashed a fundraiser of his when he was in MA (I think it was when he was running against romney in 94.)

Sorry, I did not mean to imply I am KENNEDY. I was referring to Ted being a Kennedy.

If it's any consolation, I am a distant relative of William Jennings Bryan.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »

Ted Kennedy's biggest obstacle to the White House (besides Chappaquidick) was his lack of interest in the real estate. Considering that he only ran once despite being mentioned as a potential front-runner in every election from 1968 to 1988, it seems pretty clear that Teddy didn't really want to be President. Now I don't mean to say that he wouldn't have liked being President. He would have been the most progressive President since Johnson or FDR. Hard to deny the benefits there. But Ted didn't really want to be President. He didn't have the insatiable urge to win that Nixon or Reagan or the Clinton's had. I would argue that he only ran in 1980 because he saw Carter ripping the Democratic Party (and the nation) apart.

If Kennedy runs, he probably wins the nomination and has a good shot in the general. But I could very well see him deferring to another progressive. I would imagine Scoop Jackson, Gary Hart, Hugh Carey, Dale Bumpers, Walter Mondale, John Glenn, and a slew of other candidates would run if Teddy didn't. Even if Reagan is the GOP nominee (quite likely) the Democrats are still the favorites to win. It was simply a good time to be in opposition, especially with Ford's inability to effectively drive home his message.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »

A Reagan/Kennedy smackdown would be the ultimate slugfest of alternate historians dreams.

Being a Kennedy, I think Ted would have had a good chance of becoming president.
You're a Kennedy?  How are you related (not to be a stalker or anything, but that's pretty cool Wink.)  Not to go off topic, but my dad once crashed a fundraiser of his when he was in MA (I think it was when he was running against romney in 94.)

Sorry, I did not mean to imply I am KENNEDY. I was referring to Ted being a Kennedy.

Neat.  So you're a Republican how?
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »

Neat.  So you're a Republican how?

He is a relative by marriage. Too distant to influence my family politics.

I am a Republican because my dad was a Gary Hart democrat turned Republican and my mother rebelled to my grandmother's right.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

Haha, understandable.  My Grandma is a Republican beacuse she liked Ike "because he was tall and German" and her husband was a conservative, Strom Thurmond/George Wallace/Reagan Democrat.  My dad's a Mitt Romney Republican now.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »

Haha, understandable.  My Grandma is a Republican beacuse she liked Ike "because he was tall and German" and her husband was a conservative, Strom Thurmond/George Wallace/Reagan Democrat.  My dad's a Mitt Romney Republican now.

Sorry about your dad. Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »

Sorry about your dad. Smiley

Haha, it's okay, I'm working on him Wink  He's a closet Paulbot, I know it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies