Where've You Gone, General Washington?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Where've You Gone, General Washington?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Where've You Gone, General Washington?  (Read 47772 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »

Smells great Cathcon!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »

Right now I'm suffering regrettable computer problems. One sh**ts down for some unknown reason & the other isn't connected to the Internet. So this 1/3 baked update will be sitting in the fridge quite a while until I find a suitable oven. Sad
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »

Right now I'm suffering regrettable computer problems. One sh**ts down for some unknown reason & the other isn't connected to the Internet. So this 1/3 baked update will be sitting in the fridge quite a while until I find a suitable oven. Sad

Eh; I like leftovers anyway Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »

January 13th, 1792:
The Militia Act of 1792 is signed, allowing President Adams to call together the state militias in a time of need. "I can't keep this nation out of war forever", he writes John Quincy, "and if any of the European powers attempts to threaten us, a strong national defense will be vital to the Union."

February 20th, 1792:
The Postal Service Act, establishing the United States Post Office, is signed into Law.

April 2nd, 1792:
The Financial Regulatory Act of 1792 is passed, regulating the production of coinage across the nation. With intrastate banks issuing the currency, President Adams and his cabinet want to make sure the entire country is on a single currency standard. Senator Hamilton, one of the supporters of the act, privately wishes for a more aggressive bill in which the Federal Government produces the currency, but he has already seen that such a project, especially from a newer Senator, would be rebuffed.

April 11th, 1792:
President Adams accepts Treasury Secretary Samuel Osgood's resignation. Osgood, an opponent to many of the measures that Adams has accepted or supported, ranging from the judiciary to monetary policy, has felt long at odds with the President and the Financial Regulatory Act, despite being uncontroversial, provides a good reason for Osgood to finally leave. Adams now must choose another secretary. One of his top choice, Gouvernour Morris who worked under Robert Morris and was Assistant Superintendent of Finance, is away in France and the correspondence it would take to recall him and appoint another ambassador would, in Adams’ view, be too lengthy of a time to wait to appoint another Treasury Secretary.

April 20th, 1792:
France declares war on Austria, beginning another descent of the European mainland into war and chaos.

April 27th, 1792:
In a letter to Senator Alexander Hamilton of New York, the mind behind the assumption of state debts, currency regulation, and a stable system of revenue, President Adams asks the young Senator to become the nation's next Treasury Secretary. "When the Department was re-established, Robert Morris suggested to me that I name you its first Secretary. I hadn't known much of you at that point. Wanting a man I believed to be more experienced, Samuel Osgood, now revealed to be less than what I hoped, was chosen. However, thankfully that man who contributed in no way to the work of the last three years, is gone. You are one of the greatest minds in the Senate and with the work you've done thus far, you are more than qualified to help head this country's financial policy."

May 8th, 1792:
The first session of the Second United States Congress closes. The business of the legislature will not be resuming until November of the year. As many Senators are preparing to head back to their respective states until then, Senator Hamilton meets with President Adams, telling him he'll accept the position of Treasury Secretary.

May 10th, 1792:
In a meeting of several members of Congress in New York who have not yet left or still reside in New York, Alexander Hamilton is quickly confirmed as the second Secretary of the Treasury of the United States. While some are not enthusiastic about the choice, the Treasury has been without an official leader for just under a month. With that Hamilton resigns his position as Senator and enters the President’s cabinet.

June 1st, 1792:
Kentucky joins the Union, becoming the small nation's fifteenth state. While Adams is glad to see the country going, Kentucky is a land of slave owners, backwoods hunters, and whiskey producers, not the types to be supporting his re-election this year.

June 5th, 1792:
In a special election to fill Alexander Hamilton’s vacant Senate seat, New York Attorney General Aaron Burr is elected. A member of the opposition and a vehement opponent of many of Hamilton’s “schemes”, Burr is allied with New York Governor George Clinton and Virginia Senator Thomas Jefferson.

June 6th, 1792:
Amid rumors of alcoholism and mental illness, and he himself being tired of the "un-important" Vice-Presidency, Vice-President John Rutledge, who would prefer a seat on the Supreme Court instead, issues his Address on the Matter of the Vice-Presidency, which is printed by numerous newspapers. It states that he will not be running another time for the Presidency or Vice-Presidency, explains his reasons why, and concludes with a brief summary of his thoughts on the new country and his beliefs. In it, he endorses President Adams for a second term.

June 11th, 1792:
Aaron Burr is sworn in for his first term in the United States Senate.

June 19th, 1792:
The Legion of the United States, numbering at around 1,500 troops and headed by General George Washington, sets out from Legionville in Western Pennsylvania. Over the past year the troops have been trained, armed, and readied to fight the Western Lakes Confederacy which poses a threat to the nation's North-Western borders.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2012, 08:53:58 PM by Cathcon »

June 28th, 1792:
While meeting with leaders of some of the tribes of the Western Lakes Confederacy, fighting breaks out. The American camp, nearby, gears up for war while the Indians do the same. The Legion, with one and a half thousand strong, is able to easily defeat the Indians, numbering just over one thousand. Among the casualties are Indian Chiefs Little Turtle and Tecumseh, and most noteworthy, General George Washington. He is sixty years old. A decisive blow has been struck in what will be called the North-Western Indian War, but at what cost?

George Washington (February 22nd, 1732-June 28th, 1792)

June 29th, 1792:
Troops from the Legion of the United States begin bearing Washington's body back to Virginia.  Scouts and pages are ordered ahead to spread the news throughout the country that Washington has died.

July 1st, 1792:
With news reaching New York of Washington's death, President Adams is interrupted in the middle of Sunday Mass with the sad tidings. "I wept" he would write to Martha Washington, "And I prayed for the soul of dear George, who will rightly be known as the Father of his Nation."

July 2nd, 1792:
The burial of George Washington is held in haste at Mount Vernon. Having died so far from his home, there hasn't been much time for people like President Adams to attend. However, for weeks after there will be lines wishing to see the Father of the Nation, and people will wear mourning clothes for months. Among the speakers are Senator Thomas Jefferson and Governor Henry Lee III. Lee delivers a memorable line when he states "George Washington, first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen."

July 4th, 1792:
President Adams’ Independence Day Address to Congress is dominated by what amounts to a stirring eulogy to George Washington who died only a week earlier. Adams recounts one of his first encounters with Washington, in the days of the Continental Congress, where Adams had nominated the General to lead the Continental Army.

July 9th, 1792:
President Adams appoints General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, a friend of Washington and the man mainly responsible for the training of the victorious Legion of the United States, to head the Legion. "Finish the job", a tired and apparently vicious President Adams tells Wayne. With America's most famous hero dead, the country is ready for a swift and final "revenge" upon the Western Lakes Confederacy.

July 26th, 1792:
General Wayne officially takes command of the troops at Legionville. In the next few days, the troops will prepare to set out once more. This time, having struck a major blow at the WLC, they plan to put in place a permanent outpost in the North-West, to be titled Fort Washington.

August 3rd, 1792:
Following various trips around the country collecting ideas and opinions, Thomas Jefferson, in a meeting with various political allies including Congressman James Madison, Senator Aaron Burr, Governor George Clinton, and former Treasury Secretary Samuel Osgood, declares the official creation of the Republican Party. Devoted to States’ Rights, Individual Liberty, Constitutionalism, and an agrarian economy, it is in opposition to Northerners and New Englanders such as Alexander Hamilton who seem more bent on protecting the Aristocracy. Adams himself feel caught up between two opposite poles. A farmer by nature, he nonetheless welcomes the prosperity of a growing industry. A strictly non-partisan man, Adams does not like the path the country seems to be taking in regards to political partisanship.

August 10th, 1792:
In France, following nearly a year of legislative struggles and disagreements with the King in the Constitutional Monarchy, insurgents and militiamen—backed by the revolutionary group the Paris Commune—attack the Tuileries Palace, killing the Swiss Guards and taking the royal family, including Kind Louis XVI, prisoner.

August 21st, 1792:
Construction of Fort Washington begins on the Wabash River in the North-West Territory. Serving as a permanent outpost and supply base, it will as well serve to house troops. It shall hopefully be completed in the next few months and before winter officially sets in.

September 11th, 1792:
A caucus of members of the new Republican Party, led by Congressman James Madison, nominates Senator Thomas Jefferson of Virginia and Governor George Clinton of New York as their two nominees. Jefferson, however, in accordance with political tradition of the day, denies the rumors of Presidential aspirations. Madison keeps his mentor as removed from the process as possible, knowing that in order to make Jefferson a candidate, Jefferson himself must not know that he is running, or at least convince himself so.

September 20th, 1792:
The French National Convention convenes, tasked with crafting yet another constitution. In doing so they become for all intents and purposes France’s new government. On the same day, French forces defeat Austrian ally Prussia at the Battle of Valmy, forcing Prussia to withdraw.

September 21st, 1792:
The French National Convention abolishes the monarchy once and for all.

October 2nd, 1792:
In a letter to every major newspaper in the country, President Adams confirms that he will be running for re-election despite rumors that he might choose to instead step down.

November 5th, 1792:
After nearly three months of continuous construction, the most basic structures of Fort Washington, including walls, barracks, an armory, and others, are complete. The troops are ready to set in for the winter as they prepare for the likelihood of more Indian attacks.

December 5th, 1792:
Presidential electors arrive at their individual state capitols to decide how they shall vote for President. President Adams, in his hometown of Braintree, Massachusetts, goes into depression, believing he will lose.

December 28th, 1792:
Just days after Christmas, rumors are abounding that President Adams will win re-election, despite earlier ones claiming that the President was doomed to lose. The President is quite happy as he becomes productive again, writing correspondence to Jefferson, Hamilton, his dear friend and Post-Master General Cotton Tufts, and others.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »

This'll be added to and corrected as I work on 1793. Sorry, no maps yet as my computer's being screwy and when I copy them to my computer for editing, they pixelize. I'll see what I can do in the way of map code though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

...And the map is up.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »

Interesting so far.  I just wish we could've seen George Clinton as VEEP; keep it up!
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »

This is awesome Cheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »

I just got back yesterday from a stay in Illinois for my grandma's funeral, and combined with school work, I haven't been able to get into writing the rest of 1793. However, I plan to begin today. So far, here's a recap of where some of our main characters have ended up. All of the changes begin in 1789, but in recapping their careers I figure I should include the other stuff. For people like James Madison, they're not included because their on-paper career hasn't changed.

John Adams

Party:
None

Home State:
Massachusetts

Political Career:
-Delegate to the First Continental Congress from Massachusetts Bay (September 5th, 1774-October 26th, 1774)
-Delegate to the Second Continental Congress from Massachusetts (May 10th, 1775 – June 27th, 1778)
-Representative of the United States of America to France (April 1st, 1778-June 17th, 1779)
-United States Minister Plenopitentiary to Great Britain (1779-1782)
-United States Ambassador to the Netherlands (April 19th, 1782 – March 30th, 1788)
-United States Ambassador to Great Britain (April 1st, 1785 – March 30th, 1788)
-1st President of the United States (April 30th, 1789-?)

Thomas Jefferson

Party:
Republican

Home State:
Virginia

Political Career:
-Delegate to the 2nd Continental Congress from Virginia (June 20th, 1775-September 26th, 1776)
-2nd Governor of Virginia (June 1st, 1779-June 3rd, 1781)
-Delegate to the Congress of Confederation from Virginia (November 3rd, 1783-May 7th, 1784)
-United States Ambassador to France (May 17th, 1785-June 30th, 1790)
-United States Senator from Virginia (December 6th, 1790-February 15th, 1793)
-2nd Vice-President of the United States (March 4th, 1793-?)

Alexander Hamilton

Party:
None (as of yet)

Home State:
New York

Political Career
-Delegate to the Congress of Confederation from New York (1782-1783)
-Delegate to the Annapolis Convention from New York (1786)
-Delegate to the Constitutional Convention from New York (1787)
-Member of the New York State Legislature from New York County (1787-1788)
-Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from New York (1788-1789)
-Member of the United States Senate from New York (March 4th, 1791-May 10th, 1792)
-2nd United States Secretary of the Treasury (May 10th, 1792-?)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2012, 10:26:44 AM by Cathcon »

January 16th, 1793:
Due to health problems, Supreme Court Justice Thomas Johnson of Maryland resigns from the Supreme Court. It is up to President Adams to appoint a successor.

January 17th, 1793:
Former French King Louis XVI, now only Citizen Louis Capet, is sentenced to death by the French National Convention.

January 20th, 1793:
Former King Louis XVI is executed by guillotine in the public square Place de la Révolution. This violent act shall prompt both Britain and the Netherlands to declare war on France. Britain in particular is motivated to restore the Ancien Regime and hopefully order to France.

Louis Auguste de France (August 23rd, 1754-January 20th, 1793)

February 5th, 1793:
The President's choice to replace the retired Justice Thomas Johnson is submitted to Congress. It is another Marylander, Samuel Chase. Chase has served in a variety of legal and political positions over the years and is deemed by Adams as "the steady, learned hand this nation requires". Among the items on Chase's resume are twenty years on the Maryland General Assembly, a stint in the Continental Congress, and being the current Chief Justice of not one but two lower courts.

February 12th, 1793:
President Adams vetoes the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793. Despite claims that he is going against the enforcement of the rule of law, President Adams remains firm. "When we created this Republic, we created it as a land of freedom, where the common man is as he is, just as free and equal as an elite.", writes John Adams to Senator Thomas Jefferson, "When the Constitution was created, it was with the assumption that slavery be slowly abolished within two decades. Therefore I was surprised to see that you voted for this. Reading your Notes on the State of Virginia, I remarked that your passages on slavery were worth more than gold. I had been hoping that you would act on what you had said earlier." Jefferson, who is rumored to be elected Vice-President, may soon be put in a strange position given his opposition to Adams on a number of issues. "The situation Jefferson may find himself in is a peculiar one. For, legally, the office of the Vice-Presidency is nothing. However, should anything happen to me, he may become everything." writes Adams to John Quincy.

February 15th, 1793:
In a joint session of Congress presided over by outgoing Vice-President Rutledge, the official results of the 1792 election are read aloud. The result? President Adams has won re-election by a good margin. The second place winner is Senator Thomas Jefferson of Virginia
President John Adams of Massachusetts: 92 electoral votes
Senator Thomas Jefferson of Virginia (Republican): 64 electoral votes
Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton of New York: 53 electoral votes
Governor George Clinton of New York (Republican): 37 electoral votes
Congressman Thomas Pinckney of South Carolina: 15 electoral votes

March 1st, 1793:
Senator Thomas Jefferson resigns his seat in the Senate in preparation for his assuming of the Vice-Presidency on the fourth of the month. With the Virginia Senate seat once again vacant, the State Senate will have to hold another special election to fill it.

March 4th, 1793:
President John Adams is sworn in for a second term by Chief Justice William Cushing. Former Senator Thomas Jefferson of Virginia is sworn in as the second Vice-President of the United States of America.

Also occurring is the convening of a special session of Congress, the first one of the Third Congress of the United States. In it, Senator John Langdon of New Hampshire is re-elected as President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and, in a very close vote, Speaker Jonathan Trumbull Jr. of Connecticut is re-elected to his position, just barely escaping what Pro-Administration members refer to as “a Republican coup”. With Congress not convening again until December, there will be no legislative work until then, and most government work will be concentrated in the hands of the Executive Branch. Among the new entries is Congressman James Monroe of Virginia's 5th District. With Madison running for re-election in the 15th district, Monroe who previously has run for Congress and considered running for Senate, was elected.

March 5th, 1793:
Laying of the foundation for what will be called “Adamstown” begins. In accordance with the Residency Act, accommodations for Congress must be in place by 1801. Many are hoping that everything will be complete in time for the 1801 inaugurations. They have eight years to do so.

March 8th, 1793:
Samuel Chase of Maryland is confirmed and sworn in as an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

March 19th, 1793:
The Virginia State Senate elects Congressman James Madison of Virginia's 15th Congressional District to the United States Senate to fill the seat left vacant by the resignation of Thomas Jefferson.

March 20th, 1793:
With the beginning of spring comes the beginning of Indian attacks. At Fort Washington, this is most true as the remaining portion of the Western Lakes Confederacy launches a daring attack. With the Legion chasing after them, events will soon conspire to pit the two forces, once again, on the field of battle. Since Washington’s death, the majority of the fighting has been small skirmishes and guerilla attacks.

March 22nd, 1793:
With the news reaching New York City, Congressman James Madison resigns his seat and is sworn into the United States Senate. Vice-President Jefferson, having sworn him in, greets him and whispers "someone's got to hold the bastards off" to his protege.

April 2nd, 1793:
After nearly two weeks of tracking and light skirmishes, the Legion of the United States happens upon a large tribal campsite in the North-West Territory. The Legion, hungry for blood after the attacks, and reminded once again of who it was that killed George Washington, begin sacking the village, killing those who live there.

April 5th, 1793:
The sacking of the village having provoked a large response, the Legion of the United States at last meets the remnants of the Western Lakes Confederacy on the field of battle. Lead by General Anthony Wayne, the battle is a triumph for the Legion. Having killed over 500 Indians including Chiefs Blue Jacket of the Shawnee and Buckongahelas of the Lenape, it is perhaps the last decisive battle of the North-West Indian Wars. Following the massacring—on both sides—it is agreed that armed resistance is futile and more peaceful means should be pursued. However, tribes living farther North, including the Ottawa and of course the Lenape, will not forget this. Among the American heroes are William Clark of Virginia, who once helped guide President Adams along the Potomac; and a veteran and lawyer from the Territory South of the Ohio River, Andrew Jackson, who will soon be returning to his law practice.

April 6th, 1793:
In Revolutionary France, now ruled by the National Convention, the Committee on Public Safety is created, in order to ensure the security of the nation and of the ideals of the Revolution. Its responsibilities including overseeing war, appointing judges and juries for Revolutionary Tribunals, and provisioning the army and the public. With France in a state of war with other countries, it is believed a strong central authority is needed.

April 8th, 1793:
French diplomat Edmond-Charles Genet arrives in Charleston, South Carolina, with the instructions of enlisting American aid in France’s war with Europe.

May 8th, 1793:
“Citizen Genet” as he is called, arrives in New York City to be officially received by the President. Adams, distrustful of the Revolution, receives him coldly, and Genet feels he must recruit for France outside of the reigns of the Adams government.

June 4th, 1793:
Due to international tensions, and to issues specifically relating to the states--mainly the seizing of American merchant ships and British occupation of forts in the North-West Territory--Secretary of Foreign Relations John Jay leaves for Great Britain to negotiate for the United States. Accompanying him is the President's son, John Quincy Adams. John Quincy did not ask for this position, but was asked by Jay to accompany him, as John Quincy has accompanied his own father on many diplomatic voyages. It was only with his father's urging that John Quincy decided to embark with Jay.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2012, 10:22:33 AM by Cathcon »

July 4th, 1793:
President Adams delivers his annual Independence Day address to Congress. With Congress not in session, Adams is speaking only to the select few who are there, namely many members of the New York delegation, some from neighboring states, and one who was staying in New York at the time. The event will be ridiculed by the press, which has never been fond of the brusque Adams.

July 15th, 1793:
Secretary of Foreign Relations John Jay arrives in Great Britain to begin negotiations to settle disputes over the seizing of American merchant ships and violations of the Treaty of Paris, which both he and President Adams worked to negotiate in 1783.

July 22nd, 1793:
American Secretary of Foreign Relations John Jay meets with British Secretary of State for Foreign Affaris William Pitt the Younger for the first time in the new negotiations with the British.

July 27th, 1793:
Maximilien Robespierre is elected to the Committee on Public Safety at a time when the Committee is gaining power. Robespierre has served in Revolutionary politics for the last few years, and officially joined it when he joined the representation of the Third Estate in 1789, four years ago.

August 22nd, 1793:
Robespierre, a revolutionary radical and member of the Committee on Public Safety, is elected President of the National Convention.

September 5th, 1793:
Terror is instituted as an official legal policy of France by the National Convention, proclaiming “It is time that equality bore its scythe above all heads. It is time to horrify all the conspirators.” The government is gaining in power and ruthlessness as paranoia over the possible threat to the Revolution continues to grow.

October 18th, 1793:
Inventor Eli Whitney of Massachusetts applies for a patent for his invention, the cotton gin, which separates the cotton fibers from the seeds, making harvesting of them much less complicated.

November 4th, 1793:
At a special ceremony in "Adamstown"--a name not very much to the President's liking--the President lays the cornerstone of the city. "America will one day be a great shining city of freedom perched upon a hill", begins Adams, "much as how Christ wished our faith as well to shine, like a beacon on a hill. But to begin, we should start by helping to complete this city on a hill." As he says this, Adam stands atop a platform, looking out over the crowds, down to the shore leading to the Potomac. As he stands there, he remains proud of the choice he made when selecting the site for the city.

December 2nd, 1793:
In one of the most significant acts of his second term, President Adams has Senator George Cabot of Massachusetts propose the American Naval Act, establishing a United States Navy to be headed by a cabinet level position, the Secretary of the Navy. It is expected to receive wide support as even prominent members of the Republican Party are in support of the act, as a navy is preferable to a standing army. Adams has long been a proponent of naval power, ever since the Revolution where he proclaimed that naval power would win the war for America. Cabot himself has a history dealing with shipping, his father having been a ship merchant.

December 5th, 1793:
President of the Senate, Vice-President Thomas Jefferson makes a rare foray into the debate of the house which he rules, giving a speech in support of the American Naval Act. “We ought to begin a naval power, if we mean to carry on our commerce.” says the Vice-President, who himself is wary of British and even French ships harassing and impressing American sailors and shippers. Jefferson, who in a rare moment finds himself in agreement with the administration he is part of, receives a standing ovation.

December 18th, 1793:
After a few weeks of haggling and negotiating—though little debate—the American Naval Act is passed by a good margin, with 22 “aye” votes, 4 “nay” votes, 3 not present or abstaining, and 1 seat vacant.

December 23rd, 1793:
Having passed the Senate, the American Naval Act now moves onto the House of Representatives. Here, it faces stiffer opposition with a larger minority of Republicans and their allies. Speaker Jonathan Trumbull, who himself only barely survived the “Republican coup”, admits to the President that he can not promise passage. However, Congressman Frederick Muhlenberg, unofficial leader of the Republicans, is willing to pledge support of his Republicans to the act, making it “indestructible”.

December 25th, 1793:
The nation celebrates Christmas. Not having the luxury of returning to Braintree for the holiday, Adams and his family celebrate Christmas at the current Presidential residence in New York City. Adams, however, is at times pre-occupied, anxious to see whether the American Naval Act will pass.

December 31st, 1793:
For President Adams, the year of 1793 ends much the same way 1792 ended, with anxiety. However, this is not over re-election, but over the American Naval Act, a piece of legislation he considers vital to the young republic and despite its good chances, is pessimistic about passage.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »

This will be added to and edited in order to have all the chronological gaps filled and all the necessary pictures put in.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »

1794 is in the works but I've only got like sixteen events taking place and there's so little to report on. I'll have to start getting ambitious with butterflies, but each time it seems like I have to wait til the year after that to do anything.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

Monroe and Clinton.  Plz.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

As I recall, I had Monroe join the HoR, so you may be hearing from him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »

January 3rd, 1794:
After only a week and a half of debate, mostly over minor details, the House of Representatives passes the American Naval Act, a triumph for President Adams who immediately signs it into law. The vote was closer than in the House of Representatives, but passed with 76 “aye” votes, 27 “nay” votes, and 2 Congressmen not present.

January 23rd, 1794:
Following a number of meetings and interviews with potential Secretaries of the newly established Department of the Navy, President Adams has made his choice. Senator George Cabot of Massachusetts, a fellow bay-stater and a man who comes from a family of shippers. Cabot has served as a Senator since the beginning of the Second Congress, and was the man who proposed the American Naval Act in the Senate, at the urging of President Adams. “Big surprise” mutters Vice-President Jefferson as he reads the news.

February 5th, 1794:
Senator George Cabot of Massachusetts resigns his seat in the Senate, having been confirmed as the first United States Secretary of the Navy. Cabot takes the oath of office later that day, and goes to work establishing an office and a staff inside Federal Hall.

February 7th, 1794:
With global tensions rising and the Navy finally established, Congress authorizes the construction of six frigates to lead the Navy. Some complain at the cost, over $600,000, but nevertheless, the authorization goes through.

March 14th, 1794:
Inventor Eli Whitney is granted his patent for the cotton gin.

April 25th, 1794:
On the anniversary of the decisive battle between the Western Lakes Confederacy and the Legion of the United States, Attorney General John Marshall—sent as an envoy by President Adams in place of John Jay who is in Britain—and leaders of the much weakened Western Lakes Confederacy sign a peace treaty, a crude outline of how to deal with continued Western expansion. It includes payment for land and respecting of certain significant boundaries as two of the main points.

April 30th, 1794:
On the anniversary of the day President Adams was first sworn into office, a meeting of a number of politicians including Navy Secretary George Cabot of Massachusetts, Senator Oliver Ellsworth of Connecticut, Attorney General John Marshall of Virginia, and former Governor Thomas Pinckney of South Carolina, and led by Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton of New York, creates the National Party. In the opening address, Hamilton states “We wish to build a broad coalition of American citizens who desire policies that will led to prosperity and peace—not just for one state—but for the entire nation.”

May 21st, 1794:
The Senate ratifies Marshall’s treaty—what is now being called the North-West Indian-American Treaty—by a comfortable margin, making it official U.S. policy.

June 10th, 1794:
The Law of 22 Prairial is introduced to the public by the French Committee on Public Safety. Allowing for people to be executed on mere suspicion of treason or endangering the Revolution, people are beginning to question Robespierre’s extremism, and noting that the law was introduced without the Committee on General Security backing it.

June 13th, 1794:
Postmaster-General Cotton Tufts, a personal friend of President Adams, confides to his boss that he wishes to retire from his position and his resignation shall be effective upon confirmation of a successor. Adams, worrying about party conflicts, sees an opportunity to balance his cabinet with the appointment of a Republican.

June 20th, 1794:
President Adams meets with Jefferson protege and Virginia Senator James Madison, a leader of the Republicans. Adams asks Madison to take the post of Postmaster General in his administration. Madison, however, is suspicious and believes that Adams merely wants to take him away from important affairs in the Senate. Instead, Madison recommends that Adams choose one of the Republican congressmen. "If you want balance, appoint one of the party's younger members", states the Senator.

June 23rd, 1794:
President Adams appoints one-term Congressman, young William Johnston Dawson of North Carolina to be the next Postmaster-General of the United States. Dawson is not a prominent Congressman, but he is a loyal Republican and will serve Adams well.

June 27th, 1794:
William Dawson is confirmed as the next Postmaster-General of the United States. He resigns his seat in Congress just as Cotton Tufts resigns his position as Postmaster-General, and Dawson takes office.

July 4th, 1794:
In the President's annual address to Congress, President Adams--this time with Congress called in a special session--stresses the importance of diplomacy, international relations, and American neutrality. "While some may favor foreign European powers", the President says while sternly looking at some members of the Senate, Republican and National alike, "America must avoid entangling alliances and instead work out conflicts favorably, and God-willingly in America's favor. On ewar could devastate this precious Republic." This is set against the backdrop of war in Europe and John Jay's negotiations in England.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

July 27th, 1794:
After the French National Convention turns against Robespierre and calls for his death, Maximillien Robespierre is removed as head of the Committee on Public Safety and arrested. He awaits execution in the same chamber that once held the royal family.

July 28th, 1794:
Maximillien Robespierre is executed by the guillotine in the Place de la Révolution, the same place where the royal family was executed a year and a half earlier. Thus marks the beginning of a new stage of the French Revolution.

August 11th, 1794:
Congressman James Monroe of Virginia who, since his inauguration in 1793 has become a leader among the Congressional Republicans, proposes the Trade and Tariff Act of 1794, which would put tariff rates down from eight percent to six percent, reasoning, "With the current influxes of now revenue, the national debt shall soon be paid off, and with that, for the sake of the American citizen, access to goods must be allowed. One of the principles of this Republic is the freedom of the market, and this nation's policy should not be unduely tilted towards businesses that the Treasury Secretary finds himself in league with." However, with no large complaints about tariff rates, the bill will not likely see success, and the attack on the Administration does not help its chances.

August 27th, 1794:
After over three weeks of debate, the Trade and Tariff Act of 1794 passes the United States House of Representatives by a close vote and will move onto the Senate. "The house of the people have spoken", says Vice-President Jefferson to the author James Monroe, a Jefferson protege, "Now all we need is for the house of the aristocrats to vote for it."

September 1st, 1794:
Senator Aaron Burr, another Republican rising star and a rival of Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton, sponsors the Trade and Tariff Act of 1794. Despite it having passed the House  a few days earlier, it is quite unlikely to see similar success in the Senate where Republicans are a much smaller minority than in the House, and many North-Eastern Senators are, despite love of trade, unlikely to side with the "Francophile" Republicans in helping it pass.

September 9th, 1794:
In a much shorter time than in the House, the Senate comes to a vote on the Trade and Tariff Act of 1794, and the vote is clearly against, with 18 voting against, 12 voting for, and 1 absent. While this is a defeat, it does show the rising anti-tariff strength and the strength of the Republicans and like-minded thinkers in the House of Representatives.

November 5th, 1794:
In England, the Jay-Pitt Treaty is signed by John Jay, representing America, and Great Britain. In it, a number of issues between Great Britain and the United States are settled including repayment of debt, re-imbursement of damaged and impressed ships, and British backing of Indian attacks. Now, the treaty must head back to America to be ratified. There, the treaty needs two thirds of the vote in the Senate to pass.

November 10th, 1794:
John Quincy Adams, preparing to leave Britain, writes to his father in America encouraging him to support the Jay-Pitt Treaty. “While some issues of the most important matters have not been settled, the vast majority have. If America is to remain out of war, then this is our best course.”

November 12th, 1794:
In France, it is confirmed that the United States and Great Britain have signed a peace treaty. While the United States Senate still has to ratify it, this means nothing to the French revolutionaries who now view that they have one more enemy, their former ally America.

November 17th, 1794:
Secretary of Foreign Affairs John Jay, assistant John Quincy Adams, and their staff look at London one last time as they depart, bound for America.

November 28th, 1794:
With the New York Gubernatorial election beginning exacly five months from now, Governor George Clinton announces that he shall be seeking re-election to yet another term as the state's governor. Clinton had previously decided to retire, but it seems that Republicans are gaining steam across the country and that he may prove more successful than his close re-election in 1792.

December 13th, 1794:
An American merchant ship headed for Britain is sunk by a French naval ship. This is in reaction to the news that as part of the Jay-Pitt Treaty, Britain—which is currently at war with Revolutionary France—has received most favored nation status in trading.

December 18th, 1794:
President Adams receives the letter from his son, as well as a copy of the Jay-Pitt Treaty. Studying it with a lawyer’s thoroughness, for now, he decides to support it. He will have to discuss the matter with Jay and John Quincy upon their arrival home, whenever that is.

December 31st, 1794:
On the last day of the year, Henry Knox resigns as Secretary of War to move back to Massachusetts, leaving the President to try to pick a new War Secretary. Meanwhile, John Jay and John Quincy Adams arrive home in New York harbor, soon enough to see the fireworks going off in the night sky, only minutes to midnight. 
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

As I recall, I had Monroe join the HoR, so you may be hearing from him.

Thanks Smiley.  Did he beat Madison?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »

And thanks for the Clinton update Wink.  What's Patrick Henry up to these days?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »

Monroe was elected to Madison's district, as Madison was running in a different district in 1792. Madison is now in the Senate, replacing Jefferson who left his seat for the Vice-Presidency.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »

Monroe was elected to Madison's district, as Madison was running in a different district in 1792. Madison is now in the Senate, replacing Jefferson who left his seat for the Vice-Presidency.

Okay; just checking because they ran against each other in 1788, and Monroe lost by 300 votes, and "I confess he likely would've won if it had been less overcast that day."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Now how about my second-favorite anti-Feddy, Patrick Henry? Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

Bump!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »

January 1st, 1795:
With all three tired from New Year celebrations the night before, President Adams greets his son and his Foreign Affairs Secretary, having returned home and now in the person to support the treaty.

January 3rd, 1795:
President Adams' replacement for Henry Knox is confirmed. It is former Revolutionary War Brigadier General and National party member from South Carolina Charles Cotesworth Pinckney.

January 6th, 1795:
Only five days since his meeting with Jay and John Quincy, Adams has set his sights on a new diplomatic feat, establishing a border with Spain. For this assignment he appoints Thomas Pinckney, a Southern member of the National Party and former Governor of South Carolina, he is a loyal ally of Adams. As well, he is brother of War Secretary Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a fact driving charges of nepotism from Republicans. Foreign Affairs Secretary John Jay on the other hand, has turned down the assignment, taking a well deserved break following his negotiations in London.

March 4th, 1795:
The Fourth Congress of the United States convenes, and the Republicans hold a solid majority in the House of Representatives. The Speaker of the House is Frederick Muhlenberg. Meanwhile in the Senate, Senator Samuel Livermore of New Hampshire—a National—is elected President Pro Tempore by a one vote margin. Any anti-Republican backlash in the face of the sinking of merchant ships by the French has yet to fully take hold.

April 6th, 1795:
Governor Samuel Adams, a Republican who has been Governor since John Hancock's death in 1793, is elected to a second full, one year term. Samuel Adams is a cousin of President John Adams and though he is fond of his cousin, he supported Jefferson in 1792 and hopes Jefferson shall run again next year.

April 30th, 1795:
With Republican popularity having decreased as the result of French attacks on American ships, Governor George Clinton of New York loses re-election by a narrow margin to State Senator Stephen Van Rensselaer, the National Party nominee.

May 4th, 1795:
The Alien Enemies Act is submitted to the Senate. In it, the President is given the power to deport immigrants suspected of unlawful or immoral behavior, or those whose country of origin is a nation that America is at war with.

May 19th, 1795:
After over two weeks of partisan debate and some of the ugliest seen in the young body's history, the Alien Enemies Act passes on the closest margin possible. However, in the House of Representatives it will face even a tougher challenge.

May 20th, 1795:
Immediately following the introduction of the Alien Enemies Act to the House of Representatives, Congressman James Monroe takes to the floor to protest the act. "In a nation that has withstood the calls for monarchy and absolute power, one would assume that such an act, such an attempt to squelch opposition in the face of tyrranny, would be unquestionably rebuked by any house of Congress. However, the Senate--the house of the aristocrats and monarchists--has seen fit to pass this. However, this is the people's house and the duly elected representatives of the citizens of this nation shall surely reject this dictatorial proposal!"

May 28th, 1795:
The Alien Enemies Act fails in the House by a large margin. With nearly every Republican voting against it, the "people's house" has over ruled the Senate, a triumph for the Republicans. In New York, outgoing Governor George Clinton, seeing the strange turn of events over the last month, muses "if only the election had happened a month later". The National attempts at things like the Alien Enemies Act have turned the public against the party in just under a month.

June 1st, 1795:
Stephen Van Rensselaer is sworn in as New York's second Governor following his victory over George Clinton in April.

June 15th, 1795:
In a special session of Congress, the Jay-Pitt Treaty is submitted for ratification. In the midst of what is being called the "Quasi-War" with France and bitter partisan debate over whether to favor Britain or France, the treaty is, needless to say, very controversial. While the process will take months and may not even end with ratification, it is important for Adams that it at last be submitted so that the peace he desires may be made permanent.

July 4th, 1795:
The 19th Anniversarry of the Revolution, Adams once again delivers his annual address. However, unlike in the past where the speech has been pleasant and reception of it has been positive, Adams is plagued by stares from both sides as the Senate and House look on at him. These stares are telling him to choose a side and Adams has no intention of getting involved in the partisan bickering of the Houses, "leave that to Jefferson" as he's told John Quincy, and is instead caught in the middle as those on his right side are with Britain and those on his left are calling for a revolutionary holy war with France as America's ally. Adams' speech is filled with platitudes that attempt to forge a middle ground of "Neutrality and Diplomacy" between the two war parties.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies