Thematic maps on the US Census factfinder
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:03:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Thematic maps on the US Census factfinder
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thematic maps on the US Census factfinder  (Read 1354 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »

I'm trying to create thematic maps of ancestry based on the new FactFinder (which is purely awful), but their instructions are terribly unclear and I can never get to create a map even when I have a "table that displays more than one geography of the same type (more than one state, more than one county, etc.)"

Anybody with more experience with this awful FactFinder crap have any experience and is willing to help me create a map?
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »

I have had some experience with the factfinder (the new one) but I'm not exactly sure how to access the ancestry options. I would suggest searching on the Association of Religious Data Archives, which although primarily a database studying religion in the US includes a number of maps about census data. Here is a useful link:

http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/maps/StateMaps.asp

The maps are create-your-own, but once you get the hang of it they're pretty easy to generate.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »

I'm trying to create thematic maps of ancestry based on the new FactFinder (which is purely awful), but their instructions are terribly unclear and I can never get to create a map even when I have a "table that displays more than one geography of the same type (more than one state, more than one county, etc.)"

Anybody with more experience with this awful FactFinder crap have any experience and is willing to help me create a map?
The problem is that you can't display ratios of two values.   So you can create a thematic map based on numbers of Danes, but not percentage of Danes.

But here is how you can do that (totals not percentage)

Under Topics, select Year: 2010; and Program: American Community Survey.

Under Geography, check All States in United States, and click on Add.

Under Topics, select People, Origins, Ancestry and check First Ancestry (5 year) and Click on View.

Click on Create A Map, and then click on the row you want to display and Show Map.

You may want to set transparency to 0%.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

Yeah, the new factfinder is terrible. Is there even a simple way to get 2010 demographics for CD's, state legis. districts, precincts, etc.? Also, how can one set up data for CD within a county and various geographic distinctions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies