Official Iowa Caucus Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:00:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Iowa Caucus Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45
Author Topic: Official Iowa Caucus Results Thread  (Read 54541 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »

Talk on Fox is that Santorum can use Top 3 Iowa performance to win the nom.....
Santorum isn't even as strong as Huckabee was 4 years ago, and look how Huckabee turned out.

People who hate Romney hate him more than anybody hated McCain.

That's where you're wrong. No Republican is more hated than John McCain by the base.

As of when?

He always has been. Bring up his name with Republican voters and they will share disgust of him. Romney isn't hated, he just isn't enthusing people, and they are still looking to see if there are other choices. You could make the argument that McCain clinging the nomination so early on was a mistake for Republicans who didn't realize how bad he was as a Conservative and as a candidate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »

I can't believe what we're seeing out of Marion and Jasper. Can somebody more familiar with Iowa than I am explain what it is about those counties relative to the rest of the south-and-east-of-Des Moines part of the state?

Jasper County's largest city is Newton, which used to have a big Maytag plant that employed a good percentage of its residents.  That plant closed fairly recently, devastating the city.  That probably doesn't explain the huge Santorum vote, though.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »

Newt projected 4th!!!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:05 PM »

So are the caucuses over and they're waiting on results or are areas still caucusing?
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »

Santorum isn't even as strong as Huckabee was 4 years ago, and look how Huckabee turned out.

That's where you're wrong. No Republican is more hated than John McCain by the base.

your not part of the base. the base is embarassed with you. If you were standing you'd be 6% like bachmann.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

I can't believe what we're seeing out of Marion and Jasper. Can somebody more familiar with Iowa than I am explain what it is about those counties relative to the rest of the south-and-east-of-Des Moines part of the state?

Seriously. Not only why is Santorum doing so well, but also Romney doing particularly poor there?

I assume both have plenty Evangelicals. Huckabee won them by about 50% in 2008.
The last exit polls showed Santorum leading among Evangelicals by a considerable margin, so I imagine your supposition is correct.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »

As of when?

He always has been. Bring up his name with Republican voters and they will share disgust of him. Romney isn't hated, he just isn't enthusing people, and they are still looking to see if there are other choices. You could make the argument that McCain clinging the nomination so early on was a mistake for Republicans who didn't realize how bad he was as a Conservative and as a candidate.

Huh. I tend not to take the word of somebody who capitalizes 'conservative' as if it were the name of a religion at face value, particularly relative to the visceral disgust for Mitt Romney that I've seen in large amounts from the right even if you haven't.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

Ron Paul must win!  ;(
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #358 on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »

If there's a change from 24-24-22, please update.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #359 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »

So are the caucuses over and they're waiting on results or are areas still caucusing?

It sounds like they are done caucusing and now tabulating and reporting to Des Moines.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:21 PM »

I suspect Rick will finish first. I suspected Dallas County would be Romney country (it is about the only more wealthy suburban tinged county in the state), and it is, and it is almost all in. Rick is running well in Des Moines with more down market Pubs.  He running really strong in Catholic areas. Who gets second and third places is more difficult to guess.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »

As of when?

Huh. I tend not to take the word of somebody who capitalizes 'conservative' as if it were the name of a religion at face value, particularly relative to the visceral disgust for Mitt Romney that I've seen in large amounts from the right even if you haven't.

Sorry I was reading an article on the Tories just now and made a mistake. I'm not sanctifying the word. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »

Democrats were pretty much done counting by now last time. Republicans are slow and incompetent.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »

If there's any big change from current polling, please update.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

Although Ron Paul has fallen slightly behind Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney in the vote-counting, he still has a chance of winning - in part because some of his strongest areas, college towns, have been slow to report results.

Story County, where Iowa State University is located, has had none of its 43 precincts report. And only 22 of 57 precincts have reported in Johnson County, home to the University of Iowa. (Mr. Paul has 36 percent of the votes there so far.)

- Nate Silver
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »

As of when?

Sorry I was reading an article on the Tories just now and made a mistake. I'm not sanctifying the word. Tongue

Okay, makes sense. I still don't agree with your point but you haven't committed one of my pet peeves so I'm happy. Wink
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #366 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »

Dubuque still has a lot to report, and Woodbury isn't even reporting. Things certainly aren't even close to being over for Romney. Very happy with how tonight is going.

Woodbury County will go to Santorum
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »

The strangest part of these results so far has been Santorum's weakness in the southern, rural counties that loved Edwards and Huckabee in 2008. It's a mystery as to how Gingrich and Paul are doing so well there.
DJ09
Rookie

« Reply #368 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »

Romeny really needs to extend his lead in Dubuque, Clinton and Scott counties.  He is considerably lower there and Santorum in doing better there than Huckabee was.  Can't see how Romney pulls this out.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

Perry and Paul tied in Union county.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »

Dubuque still has a lot to report, and Woodbury isn't even reporting. Things certainly aren't even close to being over for Romney. Very happy with how tonight is going.

Woodbury County will go to Santorum

Romney won it in '08.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #371 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:09 PM »

Although Ron Paul has fallen slightly behind Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney in the vote-counting, he still has a chance of winning - in part because some of his strongest areas, college towns, have been slow to report results.

Story County, where Iowa State University is located, has had none of its 43 precincts report. And only 22 of 57 precincts have reported in Johnson County, home to the University of Iowa. (Mr. Paul has 36 percent of the votes there so far.)

- Nate Silver
This will be a nail biter!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #372 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »

Oh, Mitt got 33% in Catholic Dubuque. Rick got 26%. So Mitt is running strong in Catholic areas too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #373 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »

The Republicans have to go dump some Paul votes into the Mississippi before they announce the other 50% of the precincts.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #374 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »

Oh, Mitt got 33% in Catholic Dubuque. Rick got 26%. So Mitt is running strong in Catholic areas too.

Mitt is actually severely underperforming in Catholic areas compared to 2008.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies