should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should women be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?  (Read 6059 times)
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »

If the child is severely disabled--and I hate abortions as a rule, so I mean, like, severely disabled--then yes, a late trimester abortion would be justified.

As for a post-natal abortion? Hell no. That is disgusting.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »

A severely disabled fetus that will have no quality of life due to the disability?  Yes.

A girl named "Martha" that went to my high school was one such severely disabled person.  She had to have oxygen because her breathing wasn't good, she was fed through a feeding tube, and there was no evidence that she had any mental capability beyond barely maintaining vital functions like breathing.  She never learned anything... they would basically set her aside during class so she could watch and drool all over herself and never really had any kind of reaction to various stimuli other than the occasional moan.

What the f**k kind of quality of life is that?  Just knowing who she was makes me think the right thing to do would have been to abort her.  As awful as that sounds, I think it is the most compassionate thing that could have been done.

On the other hand, I have a cousin who is "slow" because his mother was in labor too long and they didn't do a c-section to deliver him.  He has a job and lives in a group home and otherwise leads a normal life.

The same goes for children with downs syndrome.  It's a tough life and it's a lot of hardship for the parents... but we have the infrastructure in place to help these people lead meaningful lives.

So.. in a select few cases, yes, abortion should even be encouraged.  But in most cases of disability, no.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

Atlas Forum just did this to Teddy. Not cool.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »

This isn't Nazi Germany. We don't kill people because they're mentally disabled. [/unwarranted, far right opinion]
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

This isn't Nazi Germany. We don't kill people because they're mentally disabled. [/unwarranted, far right opinion]

Not even to the severe disabled person Snowguy knew in life? I find it that when you are to the point that you couldn't breath/feed yourself, has an 1 IQ, and is more likely to die at very young age, I think to terminate that kid is the right opinion for the parents.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »

I support a woman's right to have an abortion up until the third trimester. After that, it's too late. If the child is disabled...I support the choice, though I believe all abortions are immoral and that killing a child is wrong. I still support the right to choose, though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »

I support a woman's right to have an abortion up until the third trimester. After that, it's too late. If the child is disabled...I support the choice, though I believe all abortions are immoral and that killing a child is wrong. I still support the right to choose, though.

So you think it's killing, but at the same time you think the government shouldn't do anything to stop it?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »

So you think it's killing, but at the same time you think the government shouldn't do anything to stop it?

I think the Government should stay out of it, really. It's all within the 10th Amendment, it's a state's right to have legal or illegal Abortion. I don't support Government funding of Abortion, instead I support private donations.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »

That's not an actual answer. The question isn't asking whether the federal government should ban that.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

That's not an actual answer. The question isn't asking whether the federal government should ban that.

I was responding to his question.

I voted yes in the poll, though.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »

I was born totally blind and with a ventricular septal defect (a hole between the two ventricles of the heart).  I was the last of seven children on top of it, with my dad in his mid-50's and my mom in her mid-40's, and I'm sure they didn't expect me (my next-oldest brother had been born a whole four years before me).  They were devoted Catholics, so abortion was out of the question.  I'm very glad to be alive, certainly, and I'm most grateful for everything my parents did for me in the undoubtedly burdensome and trying task of raising me in these circumstances.  But, to be honest, if they had decided to terminate the pregnancy given all of the above conditions, I wouldn't find the decision unreasonable.  My mom and dad had quite enough on their plates without me coming along and adding to their worries.      
lowtech redneck
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »

Please tell me that most of the 'yes' answers were from people who didn't read all of the OP....

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »

Voted yes. It's unfortunate that these kinds of things happen but it's ultimately for the best. Think of all the money we would free up by not having to dump it all down the pity drain for these people.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »

Wait...baby?!?!

Hell no, then.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

Well if it's an actual born baby then I guess that's different.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »

The doctor's told my parents that there was over a 75% chance (I believe) that I'd come out with Down Syndrome, and my parents refused to even take the test. Fortunately, I was born perfectly healthy.

There have been many instances where a miracle has occurred, and a fetus thought to have severe complications came out healthy. I'm a strong no.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Right on, Isaac. Right on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies