should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:02:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should women be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: should parents be allowed to terminate the baby if heavily disabled?  (Read 6098 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »

A severely disabled fetus that will have no quality of life due to the disability?  Yes.

A girl named "Martha" that went to my high school was one such severely disabled person.  She had to have oxygen because her breathing wasn't good, she was fed through a feeding tube, and there was no evidence that she had any mental capability beyond barely maintaining vital functions like breathing.  She never learned anything... they would basically set her aside during class so she could watch and drool all over herself and never really had any kind of reaction to various stimuli other than the occasional moan.

What the f**k kind of quality of life is that?  Just knowing who she was makes me think the right thing to do would have been to abort her.  As awful as that sounds, I think it is the most compassionate thing that could have been done.

On the other hand, I have a cousin who is "slow" because his mother was in labor too long and they didn't do a c-section to deliver him.  He has a job and lives in a group home and otherwise leads a normal life.

The same goes for children with downs syndrome.  It's a tough life and it's a lot of hardship for the parents... but we have the infrastructure in place to help these people lead meaningful lives.

So.. in a select few cases, yes, abortion should even be encouraged.  But in most cases of disability, no.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies