Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:41:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255588 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »

Ok, well all 3 parties have a rural base. I was perhaps thinking of the PLQ base in the Eastern Townships, but CAQ has a rural base in the Chaudiere-Appalaches and PQ has a rural base everywhere else.

The PLQ base in Eastern Townships is Anglophones, which are moving elsewhere for the youngs and dying for the olds. Also, French people are moving there, for ski, for the universities in Sherbrooke, for the lakes...

How many Anglos are still there though? Not a majority. I guess if 90% of Anglos vote Liberal there, + the average amount of Franco Liberal voters = win in the Eastern Townships.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1451 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »

FSQ is keeping the turban ban, asking the CSF to engage in dialogue. FIFA's deferring to CSF, so the ban will likely stay for the foreseeable future.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1452 on: June 12, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

Cameron says we're close on EFTA. Ivison agrees and thinks we might get an agreement in principle.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1453 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Harb owes $240k.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1454 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »

Radio host calls Andrea Horvath a whore. Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1455 on: June 12, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

That host's a pig. Meanwhile Del Maestro resurfaced on PNP and PP reasserting his innocence in that campaign finance probe, more mellow than usual but saying EC showed "malice" in prosecuting him. LOL. Dunno why he chose to reappear out of the blue like this, but to each their own and all that...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1456 on: June 12, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

Ok, well all 3 parties have a rural base. I was perhaps thinking of the PLQ base in the Eastern Townships, but CAQ has a rural base in the Chaudiere-Appalaches and PQ has a rural base everywhere else.

The PLQ base in Eastern Townships is Anglophones, which are moving elsewhere for the youngs and dying for the olds. Also, French people are moving there, for ski, for the universities in Sherbrooke, for the lakes...

How many Anglos are still there though? Not a majority. I guess if 90% of Anglos vote Liberal there, + the average amount of Franco Liberal voters = win in the Eastern Townships.

It's very variable depending where you are there. All Eastern Townships were English majority at a point, I think, through.

Estrie (the administration region of Eastern Townships, except Brome-Missisquoi and Haute-Yamaska MRCs): 7.6%

Cities:
Sherbrooke: 4.9%
Magog: 6.7%
Coaticook: 4.9%
Lac-Mégantic: 1.3%
Windsor: 3.7%

MRC (counties):
Coaticook (South-East): 11.1%
Le Granit (Lac-Mégantic, Far East): 1.6%
Le Haut-Saint-François (Cookshire-Eaton, Est, includes suburbs): 11.4%
Les Sources (Asbestos, North, former mining area): 4.1%
Le Val-Saint-François (Richmond, North-West, includes suburbs): 8.2%
Memphrémagog (Magog, South-West): 16.0%
Brome-Missisquoi: 20.1%
La Haute-Yamaska: 3.9%

Federal ridings:
Brome-Missisquoi: 16.0%
Shefford: 3.5%
Richmond-Arthabaska: 3.3%
Sherbrooke: 3.2%
Mégantic-L'Érable: 1.5%
Compton-Stanstead: 12.2%

So, anglophones declined much there. Most of them are in rural areas, too. In some areas, their weight is not significant.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1457 on: June 12, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

Doug Ford will retire from council next year.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1458 on: June 12, 2013, 06:49:14 PM »

It's very variable depending where you are there. All Eastern Townships were English majority at a point, I think, through.

Estrie (the administration region of Eastern Townships, except Brome-Missisquoi and Haute-Yamaska MRCs): 7.6%

Cities:

MRC (counties):

Federal ridings:

So, anglophones declined much there. Most of them are in rural areas, too. In some areas, their weight is not significant.

Another way of looking at it would be English (or non-French) ancestry.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1459 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

Cities:

MRC (counties):

Federal ridings:

Another way of looking at it would be English (or non-French) ancestry.

Well, a Francophone having English ancestry isn't really different from another Anglophone. There was a couple of influent PQ members which had an English ancestry, looking at their name (Robert Burns, Pierre-Marc Johnson...)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1460 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2013, 09:46:31 AM by RogueBeaver »

308's take on Atlantic Grit-mania. Plus the current federal polls. Always amazing to look back and see how quickly PET and Mulroney went south in their final terms.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1461 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

308's take on Atlantic Grit-mania. Plus the current federal polls. Always amazing to look back and see how quickly PET and Mulroney went south in their final terms.

I think the situation is worse when you consider that half of the majority re-elections were won by Jean Chretien who had the advantage of an almost perfectly divided right wing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1462 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »

Brazeau and Harb have 30 days to repay expenses, dunno if this gets tied up in court.

Polls: Eh, I'm still optimistic for economic and political reasons. Plus if BC didn't teach us to ignore midterm polls, nothing will. However I do believe that if we win in '15, will be the final term before our fellow Canucks replace us with someone else.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1463 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

Brazeau and Harb have 30 days to repay expenses, dunno if this gets tied up in court.

Polls: Eh, I'm still optimistic for economic and political reasons. Plus if BC didn't teach us to ignore midterm polls, nothing will. However I do believe that if we win in '15, will be the final term before our fellow Canucks replace us with someone else.

Do you think Harper will go down with his ship after 2015 or will he quit and let someone else take the hit?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1464 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »

Breaking on CTV: Mulcair blew through multiple stop signs and security checkpoints on the Hill, didn't pull over for RCMP till he got to his parking space. Allegedly told the officer "don't you know who I am." He's since apologized for the incident. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened- Guergis, Raitt and Poilievre also had similar incidents. Regardless of party, my advice is the same: chill out. Not cool to go postal on people doing their jobs.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1465 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »

Breaking on CTV: Mulcair blew through multiple stop signs and security checkpoints on the Hill, didn't pull over for RCMP till he got to his parking space. Allegedly told the officer "don't you know who I am." He's since apologized for the incident. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened- Guergis, Raitt and Poilievre also had similar incidents. Regardless of party, my advice is the same: chill out. Not cool to go postal on people doing their jobs.

Mulcair is a freaking leader though. What a stupid thing to do.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1466 on: June 13, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »

Agreed, considering he's LOTO. Also forgot Blackburn on that list. As for your other question, I could see Harper walking away in mid-mandate for family reasons. But I don't see him ducking out like PET or Mulroney, he'll take the hit if it came to that. Keeping in mind that only King and Pearson left the PMO voluntarily.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1467 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »

Here's the Mulcair video. Speaking of videos, Toronto police were aware of the Ford video before the story broke.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1468 on: June 13, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »

Hopefully this Ford video thing will bury the stop sign incident </hack>

But what an incredibly non-NDP thing to do.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1469 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

If Justin Trudeau had done that instead of Mulcair, I would be soooooo happy.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1470 on: June 13, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

More video: Del Mastro literally crying on the House floor about his campaign finance issue.   LOL. In less amusing news, Dawson is suspending her Wright investigation because RCMP has now said there's sufficient grounds to start a criminal one. QP will be very interesting on both sides today, that's for sure.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1471 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

Why is my 700 years old Frankenstein MP wearing a beret?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1472 on: June 13, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »

I think the situation is worse when you consider that half of the majority re-elections were won by Jean Chretien who had the advantage of an almost perfectly divided right wing.

Yet doesn't Harper have the advantage of a divided left wing?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1473 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

Toronto police were aware of relationships between Ford and people in that video, says CBC.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1474 on: June 13, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »

For Hash's question: Kady O'Malley says Galipeau's beret is because of his cancer treatment. On another subject, exclusive Wallin interview with Mansbridge tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies