Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:54:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 257409 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

Who would ultimately lead such a thing?

Pierre Ducasse, maybe? Isn't he the one who's taking the charge? He'd make a great leader.

Pierre Ducasse could, he finished his book presentation tour and declined to run in municipal elections in Gatineau, as some expected he would do.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »

Surprising. He is only 50 and Deputy Chair of the Committee of the Whole, which is like being 2nd deputy Speaker.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »

Conservatives are continuing to well-manage the public money, as they apparently appointed a friend of Flaherty as President of the Royal Mint.

Through, he apparently ran a tax-dodging scheme in the past. Another dubious appointment by Tories, we are getting used to it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jim-love-canadian-mint-chairman-helped-run-offshore-tax-avoidance-scheme-for-clients-1.2441347
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

The BC "free-entreprise coalition" is proposing to raise them by 27%, too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Didn't PEI PC had severe issues, like the PC caucus refusing to recognise the new PC leader?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

I don't any problems with saying than government shouldn't negociate with people firebombing and stealing cars. First Nations only harm their integration within society by supporting people which are doing grave violation of laws.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:03 AM »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

We had a peaceful one a few weeks ago in Lac-simon reservation, near here. Sure, it's wasn't really a blockage (a couple of people letting everyone it but Youth Protection Direction). Finally, the village elders, regional social services and some native women organisation as a mediator, seems wierd, but it worked. YPD got sensibilized to First Nations issues and the elders were explained than what they were asking (traditionnal adoption) couldn't by done by the YPD and than the law gave that power to a First Nations institution than First Nations didn't created yet.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 05:48:42 PM by MaxQue »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

Also, Canada government decided to destroy postal service as we know and force people to go at distant boxes to get mail. Hopefully court cases will delay things until 2015 elections and than the next government fire their incompetent and overpaid CEO.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »

Let's add than the Canada Post decision is a violent attack on small businesses, which still mostly use mail for their billing.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

The PQ may yet warm on me.

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2013, 11:57:46 PM by MaxQue »

The PQ may yet warm on me.

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.

I know you've criticized QS in the past, but they are way better than the PQ. The values charter has made me lose any shred of sympathy I had for that party.

If I lived in Quebec, I'd vote UCQ where I could, and then either PVQ or QS. I've considered living in Hull in the past (cheaper rent), but could never bring myself to do so.

But I live in a swing riding and I don't want a Liberal MNA.

EDIT: Also, QS in my riding is a bit unsavory, the local organisation was created by people who left PQ when a Native candidate was selected for 2007 election, under the pretext he was too young and this was an insult to the older members.

Then, again will depend of the campaign and/or the candidates.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

Supreme Court has unanimously ruled that prostitution laws are unconstitutional! (Despite a majority of the court being Harper appointees)

Good decision in my opinion.

Well, it fits with the ultra-libertarian patterns of the Court. Prostitution is a very complicated issue, through, so I'll retain from commenting further.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #188 on: December 25, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
  Does the French language not have the same negative connotations of idiocy with the turkey bird that English does.  I wouldn't think that they would want to suggest that Bill 60 is a turkey.

A turkey indeed have negative connatations, but, most likely, given the time of year, people will think of the food.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »

Oh, the perpetual noices from the free traders wanting to destroy Canadian agriculture on the altar of ideology. Sure, prices may be lower, but how much person will grow poorer because of it?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »

Well, the Bloc was more economically right-wing in the 90's and the outgoing leader was trying to return in the center, but now than he resigned, who knows what happens? But they are (or rather were) a big tent party, like PQ, for all Quebec nationalists, even right-wing ones. For them, independance is more important than other questions.

There is 2 types of CAQ voters. The suburban "soccer mom" families of Montreal suburbs, which clearly voted NDP federally the last time. Those aren't very ideological and they are soft nationalists. Current polling is suggesting than those voters will come back at PQ. The other type is in Quebec City area, which is voting NDP or Conservative.

For your third question, PQ, Liberals and CAQ are pretty at the same place on social issues, they are socially liberal (the Liberals are a little bit more conservative, but only a very little bit, so it doesn't matter). They are used to it and, as all parties think the same, this is never the subject of an election.

And the traditionnal Catholic is Francophone and sees Canadian multiculturalism as a threat to them and wants independance from the English and Protestant Canada. Traditionnal Catholics are very nationalist (but a minority in the independance movement).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies