Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2019, 04:09:18 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, أندرو, Hash, Blind Jaunting)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 Print
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 222388 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:43 am »

Rumour mill suggests my former boss Bruce Hyer will be joining the Greens on Friday. I think he'd have been better off staying as an Indy.

No surprise really. There are a lot of similarities between Hyer and Elizabeth May.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2351 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:14 am »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

It's strange though, because didn't the former chief of that reserve in NB just run for the NDP in the last by-election in Kent?
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2352 on: December 09, 2013, 12:50:50 am »

Hyer: No real surprise, though I guess he loses in '15. In other Ontario news, Hudak should save the IR stuff for later and focus on economy/jobs.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2353 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:03 am »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

We had a peaceful one a few weeks ago in Lac-simon reservation, near here. Sure, it's wasn't really a blockage (a couple of people letting everyone it but Youth Protection Direction). Finally, the village elders, regional social services and some native women organisation as a mediator, seems wierd, but it worked. YPD got sensibilized to First Nations issues and the elders were explained than what they were asking (traditionnal adoption) couldn't by done by the YPD and than the law gave that power to a First Nations institution than First Nations didn't created yet.
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2354 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:45 pm »

So I understand there was a provincial reshuffle in Alberta?
Fmr. Assemblyman Njall
Njall
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2355 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »

So I understand there was a provincial reshuffle in Alberta?

Yup.  http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edmonton/story/1.2454624

The notable changes are:
-Dave Hancock replacing Thomas Lukaszuk as Deputy Premier and Minister of Innovation and Advanced Education
-Lukaszuk is now Minister of Jobs, Skills, Training, and Labour
-Manmeet Bhullar (Service Alberta) replaces Hancock as Minister of Human Services
-Doug Griffiths (Municipal Affairs) replaces Bhullar as Minister of Service Alberta
-Ken Hughes (Energy) replaces Griffiths as Minister of Municipal Affairs
-Diana McQueen (Environment) replaces Hughes as Minister of Energy
-Ric McIver (Transportation) and Wayne Drysdale (Infrastructure) switch jobs
-Fred Horne (Health), Doug Horner (Finance), Jonathan Denis (Justice), Jeff Johnston (Education), amongst others, stay where they are
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2356 on: December 09, 2013, 11:18:56 pm »

Thanks for that, mate!
Hash
Hashemite
YaBB God
Cuba

« Reply #2357 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59:34 am »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-s-claim-to-arctic-riches-includes-the-north-pole-1.2456773

They're taking the creepy "We are a Northern people" crap too far now.
Hash
Hashemite
YaBB God
Cuba

« Reply #2358 on: December 10, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/12/10/the-qp-clip-santa-claus-is-declared-a-canadian/

Silly season for the government, declares opposition to be anti-Canadian because they 'deny' Santa Claus is a Canadian citizen.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2359 on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »

Caught a bit of QP on Twitter. Unsurprisingly, Calandra's the author of that Santa thing. I honestly don't know what Harper saw in him. Or in DDM for that matter, but that's another story.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2360 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:09 pm »

Parliament adjourned till Jan. 27. Should I start a new thread in the new year or wait for a mod to close this one? We're closing in on 2500 after all.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2361 on: December 10, 2013, 06:37:10 pm »

Start a thread in the new year.  This one's getting a little long and whether it is true or not, long threads are alleged to be a performance bottleneck.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2362 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:46 pm »

I'm against closing the thread FTR.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2363 on: December 10, 2013, 11:57:21 pm »

Not my first choice either. We kept this one going for 2 years, so that's something. I'm hesitant to call it CGD II, which I'd like to save for the 42nd Parliament. But I'll probably do so nonetheless. Hopefully the next one lasts till the election.

Some QP stats: Mulcair attended 20, Harper 15, Trudeau 13. IIRC there were either 33 or 36 this sitting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2364 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:06 am »

lol Trudeau.

I know, I know. Canadians don't care about QP...
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2365 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:03 am »

Given his "performance" there, no wonder his response was the usual "more important to meet ordinary Canadians" spin. Speaking of QP, backup PM duty should be delegated to the Cabinet rather than the hapless Calandra. I was immensely relieved when Moore and Poilievre were stickhandling one QP last week.

As for who "won" the year politically, I'd say Mulcair federally and Christy Clark provincially.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2366 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:37 am »

How did Mulcair "win"? By remaining relevant? Trudeau is the year's winner. Remaining popular despite being hapless and unprepared.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2367 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 05:48:42 pm by MaxQue »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

Also, Canada government decided to destroy postal service as we know and force people to go at distant boxes to get mail. Hopefully court cases will delay things until 2015 elections and than the next government fire their incompetent and overpaid CEO.
Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2368 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:45 pm »

How did Mulcair "win"? By remaining relevant? Trudeau is the year's winner. Remaining popular despite being hapless and unprepared.

He's basically a deer in the headlights. If he's still hapless and unprepared come election time, his opponents (save May) will eat him up. Mulcair and Harper (if he's still around) are pros at this stuff, Trudeau is a child.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2369 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

Let's add than the Canada Post decision is a violent attack on small businesses, which still mostly use mail for their billing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2370 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:47 pm »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

The PQ may yet warm on me.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2371 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:31 am »

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.
DC Al Fine
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2372 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:23 am »

Also, Canada government decided to destroy postal service as we know and force people to go at distant boxes to get mail. Hopefully court cases will delay things until 2015 elections and than the next government fire their incompetent and overpaid CEO.

I've been enduring this savagery for years. God help us all Roll Eyes
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2373 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:59 pm »

Hugh Segal will retire next summer. One of the best senators, even if I strongly disagree with him on many issues. Hopefully a Blue replacement.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2374 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.

I know you've criticized QS in the past, but they are way better than the PQ. The values charter has made me lose any shred of sympathy I had for that party.

If I lived in Quebec, I'd vote UCQ where I could, and then either PVQ or QS. I've considered living in Hull in the past (cheaper rent), but could never bring myself to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies